• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is facing Germany a lost a cause to all but the most skilled player? Can the other nations, such as the Internationale, Japan, the Entente, Russia/Soviets, or any other power beat Germany? Germany seems to start with so much, a large army, navy(though its horribly out of date to begin with) a good size air force in comparison to the others, puppets that can can be useful for extra bodies, and possibly other stuff I have not seen. Is it resonably possible to compete with/beat Germany without too much effort?
I recently played a game as the Commune in which I managed to beat the Germans. It did take a fair amount of effort - almost a year - but I managed to get it done (war went from spring 1940 to winter 1940-1). It was basically a series of massive pockets: first trapping all of Flanders-Wallonia in one pocket, then bagging the Lorraine defenses in another pocket (probably the hardest and bloodiest fight of the game; my troops took forever to close the pocket in Nancy and almost didn't manage it), then breaking through in Pfalz and swinging around into Bavaria to bag Alsace. At that point, the Austrians entered the war, but the Italians did a decent enough job of holding them off while I broke through on the Main and pushed to Wilhelmshavn, creating a massive Rhenish pocket that contained basically the rest of the German army. At that point, it was basically all over, and the rest was clean-up.

It helped that CNT-FAI won the Spanish civil war (so I didn't have to worry about Carlists or the Kingdom rolling into my rear) and that the Germans wiped out Vietnam quickly (so they couldn't stay at war-production levels for very long in the runup to the war between the two of us). By contrast, unlike in other games I've played in which UoB sends useful support to the French, my British allies sent me a massive wad of nothing and frittered away their entire army in the Caribbean in their dumb Icelandic war. And once I'd driven the Germans off the Continent, the British promptly invaded Marokko and snatched it right from under my nose. If military control weren't such a pain in the ass with the Brits, I'd have stopped it, but...uuuugh...

Anyway, point is, Germany is eminently beatable. Wasn't a pushover, wasn't trivial, but put up less fight than I'd thought it was going to, going by their army numbers. I was particularly surprised that my army - which was severely undersized compared to Germany's, to the tune of thirty divisions - was able to hold its own. Germany never really put a whole lot of pressure on my troops, except in a few tense moments when I was attempting to slice-and-dice some pockets. And their air force seems to have been completely distracted by my (useless, NAV-bait) navy; my fully-modernized interceptors cleared the skies pretty quickly, and tanks capturing airfields did the rest.

Thank you, now if it's possible to take Japan down the Democratic road, annex the rest of America as the USA without loosing leaders, or Take back Union of Britain as Canada without shooting yourself in the foot when doing any of these.... I have only played a few games as Germany, a little bit of a Canada game where I jumped on Britain where they declared war on Germany, that was a mistake. A usa game where The 2nd civil war was just not in my favor. Then a Japan game (I got annoyed at the staggering Dissent hikes when being non authoritarian), then started a CoF game, and then a Russian game(that one is rather fun), and then a Qing game. So far I've only made it far as Germany though, the other games are only a couple years in.

Last edited:
yeah, megaupload is actually relatively safe

could someone give me instructions on how to download and install because im terrible at loading mods *facepalm

Download the Kaiserreich files (open with winzip etc.) and place the into the mods folder in your DH folder.

Is facing Germany a lost a cause to all but the most skilled player? Can the other nations, such as the Internationale, Japan, the Entente, Russia/Soviets, or any other power beat Germany? Germany seems to start with so much, a large army, navy(though its horribly out of date to begin with) a good size air force in comparison to the others, puppets that can can be useful for extra bodies, and possibly other stuff I have not seen. Is it resonably possible to compete with/beat Germany without too much effort?

Beating Germany as Russia/USSR is easy, because you have endless manpower, plenty of IC and Germany is distracted by the Syndicalists. Same with Japan - not as much manpower or IC but France still proves a good enough distraction.

The Internationale struggles against Germany (because the manpower balance is pretty dodgy - not sure if this will be changed but I hope so) but it's possible to win and because it's challenging it's also a lot of fun, so I'd recommend giving it a try. I won as the Commune by mass IC building until 1939, then burying Germany in tanks and aircraft (go spearhead doctrine when you get the choice for god's sake). It's sort of like playing as Germany vs Soviets in vanilla HOI2 (being better equipped and using encirclements to fight a larger enemy) but Paris to Berlin is shorter than Berlin to Moscow.

Ok the Entente can't fight the Germans (unless it gets USA/Russia/Japan on side) but it's kind of meant to be the third-rate alliance anyway :p

Yeah, I always wondered about how insane you have to be to play in the Entente. Canada, Australia, Algeria, and northern India...not exactly a murderer's row, there.

Yeah, I always wondered about how insane you have to be to play in the Entente. Canada, Australia, Algeria, and northern India...not exactly a murderer's row, there.
I've played as Canada and beat Germany in '49 and Got Britain back. France was a cluster rape though...

Just wondering, is there any possibility for the American civil war not happening?
Not really, its meant to happen to be a big game changer, and to stop the crafty player from gaming the civil war. In short Deal With It.

...Or do limited reforms, if I remember correctly.

my computer says Kaissereich is not a valid 7z file so i cant open it with 7zip or winzip

SKIF-icons seems not to be working properly with DH. For instance there's modern jetfighter icons all over the place and 47 inf in china and 51 inf in Ukraine.
Did I mess up my install?

AFAIK, Skif doesn't work with DH or Kaiserreich.
Edit: Read MajorStoffer's comments on the previous page.

Last edited:
Hi there folks; I've been puttering around in Kaiserreich for a few days now after getting DH in a steam sale.

Overall, I'm certainly having a lot of fun with it, but I've noticed one thing; the skif package linked in the first post doesn't really work. Since DH has a whole bunch of WW1 era techs, it seems to really screw up the images. For instance, most INT 7 images are jets, while in game they're, for the most part, 1920s biplanes.

The ships seem to work fine, but just about everything else either displays the wrong image, or doesn't display one at all (most infantry seem to be using default icons.)

Anyone have any idea how to rectify this, or is there any model packs compatible with the DH version of KR specifically? I'll be honest, the defaults are kind of lacking, especially for Japan, whom I spend most of my time with.

Could someone please remove the SKIF link as it clearly does NOT WAD with KR for DH!?

EDIT: Thx Eams

EDIT II: Where do I report map errors?

Last edited:

This is in my opinion the big flaw with KR, apart from the American Civil War; the Entente is almost totally irrelevant unless it is either human controlled or allied with Russia, in which case it also irrelevant because Russia cannot directly engage the Syndicalists until they have defeated Germany and are too strong to stop...