• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Conquer the USA mainland, then you'll get an event, choose to 'Balkanize the USA', the FUA is the same territory as AUS.

What is the main reason behind this nation? Why this FUA instead of the AUS?

It's pretty much an updated CSA(as in the Confederate States..)

Which is why I never liberate it. The Confeds are so damn cliche. Plus, the American Union State is far more entertaining!

Since the forums are still down, I figured I'd post here to maybe get some non-game related questions...

In 1936, the Carlists are still technically led by the Infante Alfonso Carlos, Duke of San Jaime and Anjou (he was considered the Legitimist French claimant as well by a small minority). I believe he even has a minister portrait if I'm correct (it's listed as CarlosXI, though he reigned under the name Alfonso Carlos I, but his French title was Charles XII) although he's not in any files that I know of. He was in his 80s in 1936 and died in Paris in our world. In Kaisserreich, where is he at? I assume Germany, National France, in Algiers, or maybe even Spain, although that's highly unlikely. I'd assume Germany may be most likely, but given his life in France, I could see him fleeing to Algiers.

Alfonso named Xavier of Bourbon-Parma as his heir and Regent of the Carlist movement. One thing I found interesting is an Austrian Archduke, Karl Pius. His mother the Infanta Bianca was seen as some as the Carlist heiress once the male line died out (ironic, considering the civil war began back in the 1830s over women being unable to succeed...). Her son was supported by the far-right of the Carlists, the Cruzadistas. I believe he was even included as a minister at some point in earlier versions of the game, but was scrapped. It'd be interesting to flesh out the Carlists a little more, at least. A lot like in the original Hearts of Iron 2 Republican Spain, if winning the civil war, could see the far left take power through a coup. it'd be interesting to see the Cruzadistas do the same if the Carlists succeed. Hell, if anything, Karl Pius would make a good commander or minister. He looks as snazzy as Xavier if you ask me. ;) The interesting thing is that both Karl and his mother were living in Spain in this time period too, so there could be flavor events of Karl making speeches, much like the Xavier ones, and maybe Spain could get an event for Alfonso Carlos death, or Nat France or wherever he's living, even if it's just for flavor.

Last edited:
I'm playing a game in KR 1.04beta, as national France. Here's a few oddities I noticed, for anyone who cares. Btw just to be clear, I totally love this mod, and this list is just for improvement of this already awesome project!

• When the Anarchists won the Spanish civil war, I got an event offering the choice to seize their colonies, which I took. However, I didn't get any provinces because Germany also got an event about seizing Spanish Morocco. The only thing I got was a DoW from the Anarchists. I think this is not WAD.
  • Portugal, who was in the entente, got conquered. Then the "Portuguese republic" declared independence. Then I conquered Iberia and annexed the Anarchists. I thus ended up with Portugal proper, while a generally hostile (low relations, no alliance) Portugal was also in existence. I couldn't release Portugal as a puppet and thus I have to probably attack and annex the other Portugal before I can release them. This is probably not WAD.
  • While I was in the process of conquering them, in fact, even when I was almost done, the Anarchists kept receiving events about the phalanstere's help and rebuilding the country and stuff, which just seems strange to me, given the fact that they were in a (losing) war.
  • The Anarchists allied the Commune of France when they were almost dead. It seems strange that France doesn't get a say in this matter because it meant they were exposing their south to me, which eventually lost them the war. It just seems that the Anarchists need a few more checks on their events checking whether they're at war.
  • Meanwhile, the Russian civil war was happening. However, while the Russian state was losing this civil war, it kept getting events about how the country was rebuilding and about industrialization and stuff, which seems really weird given the dire straits they were in (they did eventually lose and got annexed by the Soviets). For them it was even stranger than for the Anarchists.
  • I eventually conquered most of France, including Paris. This got me the event about returning to France, but I was rather disappointed by it. I got 200 manpower, which is the same as you get when you conquer only the (more sparsely populated) souther half. I got no divisions. I got some tech teams but not NEARLY enough (IIRC it's also the same as when you conquer only half). Seriously, I still need to use my level 2 university of Algiers tech team for stuff! Where are all the French universities? Where are the Curie's? Where are the naval thinkers? I had to have de Gaulle research unrestricted submarine warfare because no-one had any relevant skills! No-one has the naval engineering specialty (the anchor-y thing). The reason I was even researching subs is because they don't need that much research and I had no naval thinkers. In my opinion, if they manage to conquer it all the way to Paris, France should inherit all tech teams from the Commune except for the tech teams that represent communist generals and such.
  • I conquered Britain, then released England, Wales and Scotland. I have gotten no events about the French liberating Britain or anything. The Canadians didn't get any events either about returning to their home.

Last edited:
Portugal, who was in the entente, got conquered. Then the "Portuguese republic" declared independence. Then I conquered Iberia and annexed the Anarchists. I thus ended up with Portugal proper, while a generally hostile (low relations, no alliance) Portugal was also in existence. I couldn't release Portugal as a puppet and thus I have to probably attack and annex the other Portugal before I can release them. This is probably not WAD.
This Portuguese Republic is a government-in-exile (much like NatFra) that has a chance to pop up in the colonies if the Portuguese mainland is overrun. This was initially planned in case of a CNT-FAI conquest. If the Entente or Mitteleuropa succesfully take Portugal after that, they can hand over the territory to the Portuguese Republic - however I only made such events for Canada and Germany, so I should make a NatFra version now. :)

I conquered Britain, then released England, Wales and Scotland. I have gotten no events about the French liberating Britain or anything. The Canadians didn't get any events either about returning to their home.
Never manually release anyone. I'm pretty sure an event about the fate of Britain would pop up in that case.

Which is why I never liberate it. The Confeds are so damn cliche. Plus, the American Union State is far more entertaining!
"Because it's cliche" it a kind of cruddy reason to avoid something like that. I'm getting a mental image of Neville Chamberlain in the 1930s pushing for the drastic downsizing of the Royal Navy because "Britain as a navy-oriented power is so cliche." Having a Confederate States in the South makes sense. There's still Neo-Confederates around to this very day. Were a county to break away or be created in the South amongst the territories that formerly made up the CSA of the 1860s, it's reasonable to expect that country to be the Confederate States redux.
Never manually release anyone. I'm pretty sure an event about the fate of Britain would pop up in that case.
Why not just tweak the event triggers so that they fire whenever Germany puppets England or France puppets the German Union (or what-have-you), rather than relying on specific event chains and flags which make manually-released countries totally break gameflow?

Why not just tweak the event triggers so that they fire whenever Germany puppets England or France puppets the German Union (or what-have-you), rather than relying on specific event chains and flags which make manually-released countries totally break gameflow?

I agree. Right now, the rule is more like "Never manually release anyone except sometimes" (namely when there happens to be no event for a certain situation)

Related to the FUA thing, why was the AUS powerbase moved to the former territories of the CSA? Old KR had them emerging out of the Midwest and down into Texas, which was cool and gave the Midwest some importance other than being the buttmonkey of American regions. It also seemed slightly less weird than seeing all these Northerners like Coughlin, Lindbergh and Kennedy center their power in Atlanta.

Related to the FUA thing, why was the AUS powerbase moved to the former territories of the CSA? Old KR had them emerging out of the Midwest and down into Texas, which was cool and gave the Midwest some importance other than being the buttmonkey of American regions. It also seemed slightly less weird than seeing all these Northerners like Coughlin, Lindbergh and Kennedy center their power in Atlanta.

My guess is that the US was too powerless only being on the coast. I prefer the current borders. But don't worry, the whole US will be AUS by the end of the day. *giggle*

Since the forums are still down, I figured I'd post here to maybe get some non-game related questions...

In 1936, the Carlists are still technically led by the Infante Alfonso Carlos, Duke of San Jaime and Anjou (he was considered the Legitimist French claimant as well by a small minority). I believe he even has a minister portrait if I'm correct (it's listed as CarlosXI, though he reigned under the name Alfonso Carlos I, but his French title was Charles XII) although he's not in any files that I know of. He was in his 80s in 1936 and died in Paris in our world. In Kaisserreich, where is he at? I assume Germany, National France, in Algiers, or maybe even Spain, although that's highly unlikely. I'd assume Germany may be most likely, but given his life in France, I could see him fleeing to Algiers.

Alfonso named Xavier of Bourbon-Parma as his heir and Regent of the Carlist movement. One thing I found interesting is an Austrian Archduke, Karl Pius. His mother the Infanta Bianca was seen as some as the Carlist heiress once the male line died out (ironic, considering the civil war began back in the 1830s over women being unable to succeed...). Her son was supported by the far-right of the Carlists, the Cruzadistas. I believe he was even included as a minister at some point in earlier versions of the game, but was scrapped. It'd be interesting to flesh out the Carlists a little more, at least. A lot like in the original Hearts of Iron 2 Republican Spain, if winning the civil war, could see the far left take power through a coup. it'd be interesting to see the Cruzadistas do the same if the Carlists succeed. Hell, if anything, Karl Pius would make a good commander or minister. He looks as snazzy as Xavier if you ask me. ;) The interesting thing is that both Karl and his mother were living in Spain in this time period too, so there could be flavor events of Karl making speeches, much like the Xavier ones, and maybe Spain could get an event for Alfonso Carlos death, or Nat France or wherever he's living, even if it's just for flavor.

Very nice information and suggestion. I'll try to look into it if I get the spare time.

I want Floyd B. Olson to have more abilities in the CSA! He was a Farmer-Labor governor at a time when the Farmer-Labor party had dropped off the face of the earth and was a rather popular politician during his tenure in office. Also, he has a cool name.

I just found out something very annoying. I was playing as the Pacific States of America, and at war with Mac Arthur's America. Mac Arthur asked for peace, and there was no option to say no. This meant that my unopposed conquest of the mid-west was stopped for no reason, and pretty much ended that game right there.

Just loaded up a game as Russia/Soviets in the latest beta, found a few bugs:

1: The German surrender event doesn't take into account that Germany might be occupied by more than one country. I, as the Soviets, got to release the German Union but all of French occupied Germany remained territory of the German Empire occupied by France.
2: On a similar note, the German surrender event does not take any claims on German territory into account, at least not for Russia. I was forced to cede Polish territory that I had claimed through event to the new German Union. In general, the syndies need more options with the German Union. Disarmament and destroying German industry, selling territory off to Poland, that kind of thing. Right now, Germany tends to the second most powerful or even most powerful country in the Internationale only a year after being liberated. It takes longer than that to turn one's arch-enemy into a loyal ally.
3: I saw Germany recreate the kingdom of Spain in Gibraltar and only Gibraltar. The rest of Spain was controlled by the reds.
3: This is more of a problem for a democratic Russia, but there is no event chain or decision that I saw to declare war on Turkestan if Orda joined Russia peacefully. You just get stuck trying to raise Turkestan's belligerence with spies so you can annex Turkestan and start expanding somewhere else.
4: There needs to be more options when dealing with a Don-Kuban Union that's a German ally. Because of how Russia's expansion events are set up, if Germany backs the Don Kuban Union initially, there is no real way to expand outside of Central Asia without going to war with the Germans. Something that breaks the alliance, a "give us the Caucuses or war" decision for Russia that lets Germany abandon the region when Germany is busy with France would be extremely helpful.

Any idea on when our forums will be back? :)

Nope, Preath have tried saving his hard-drive. (Which didn't include any KR-related things) But it seems it's impossible.
So I think he will be getting a new hard-drive. Hopefully we might have our forum back this week.

This Portuguese Republic is a government-in-exile (much like NatFra) that has a chance to pop up in the colonies if the Portuguese mainland is overrun. This was initially planned in case of a CNT-FAI conquest. If the Entente or Mitteleuropa successfully take Portugal after that, they can hand over the territory to the Portuguese Republic - however I only made such events for Canada and Germany, so I should make a NatFra version now. :)
Actually, it exist an event regarding Portugal in case of a France overrun, but only if SPR (syndicalist version of Spain I presume) exists and FRA controls all portugal: event 11800082.
On that file, also exist an (fairly useless) event identical but it trigger for ENG (everything else being the same):11800083.

While I'm on this, can I suggest this event to end the eternal "civil war" in Russia when the Soviets overrun their mainland but Russia still has Kola?:
Code:
event = {
	id = 75602000 #Random number unused.
	random = no
	country = RUS

trigger = {
		war = { country = SOV }
		region = { region = "Eastern Karelia" value = 1 }#Check that actually has at least 1 province in there
		NOT = { vp = 6 } #Kola has 5vp in it. Quicker than check region by region.
		owned = { province = 537 data = FIN } #To make sure that Kola is inaccessible for the IA... and lazy players
		}

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1936 }
	offset = 15
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = december year = 1963 }

name = "The Soviets have overrun Russia!"
	desc = "Let's end the suffering."
	style = 2

action = {
		name = "Shall god have mercy of our souls!"
		ai_chance = 45
		command = { type = secederegion which = FIN value = "Eastern Karelia" when = 1 }
	}
}

I don't know, but I would guess that Carlos either was killed or died at some point, as many other people e.g. FDR, Hitler, Lenin were.

I think he is actually still alive; I was playing a game last night as the Qing and I saw in the log Spain got an event about Alfonso Carlos dying or something to the effect, so apparently he's still kicking around somewhere.