• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Best case scenario for Brittania is a series of puppet states. A feasible mechanic for this would be something like

-annex Union
-change name to the United Kingdom
-change flag
-liberate Dominion of Canada as puppet and ally
-lose cores on Canada
The Canada-UK union in any shape or form is currently being decided as no right now. However, we're in talks about the reason as to why we want this, primarily its about the Canadian player being penalized for accomplishing a great goal, fulfilling a strong foreign policy and liberating the United Kingdom.

A great compromise is to create a UK without penalising Canada to a great degree since let's face it, Canada was greatly boosted by the British exiles in the KR lore. Although it was a decade or two ago, losing them since they're going back to Britain will inevitably cause problems, that is unavoidable.

The primary issue with this entire debate is that players feel cheated about the whole affair since some play via a 'mathematical' aspect as opposed to a 'romantical' aspect, where people play to win, rather than play to a story for instance. I'm a very strong advocate of the latter. Canada does need a penalty, but it should be rewarded in the long run. To a point it is, the UK AI is very aggressive, builds Aircraft Carriers and given about 5-8 years, will wilfully invade France no matter what is there. I've been experimenting in putting the UK ai into the UoB with moderate to negligible success.

If you want to play to win, Canada is not your nation without SWITCHING to the UK via save/load.
If you want to play your part, play Canada and serve the British King, since that is the Canadian role.

The Canada-UK union in any shape or form is currently being decided as no right now. However, we're in talks about the reason as to why we want this, primarily its about the Canadian player being penalized for accomplishing a great goal, fulfilling a strong foreign policy and liberating the United Kingdom.

A great compromise is to create a UK without penalising Canada to a great degree since let's face it, Canada was greatly boosted by the British exiles in the KR lore. Although it was a decade or two ago, losing them since they're going back to Britain will inevitably cause problems, that is unavoidable.

The primary issue with this entire debate is that players feel cheated about the whole affair since some play via a 'mathematical' aspect as opposed to a 'romantical' aspect, where people play to win, rather than play to a story for instance. I'm a very strong advocate of the latter. Canada does need a penalty, but it should be rewarded in the long run. To a point it is, the UK AI is very aggressive, builds Aircraft Carriers and given about 5-8 years, will wilfully invade France no matter what is there. I've been experimenting in putting the UK ai into the UoB with moderate to negligible success.

If you want to play to win, Canada is not your nation without SWITCHING to the UK via save/load.
If you want to play your part, play Canada and serve the British King, since that is the Canadian role.

It is kind of disappointing because I was working really hard on a Canadian-UK Union, and I just got shot down like a Union of Britain fighter plane over Germany.

Really, it's not as much as the mathematical part that bothers me. It's that Canada simply loses its signifiance once the goal is achieved. You go there, liberate Britain and then you are now all but a Dominion again, the end. You are not the leaders of a worldwide movement, you are a not a global hegemon. You are the dominion that acted like the Brits' vacation house for a few decades, and now they left. Now they're ruling the empire, from London. and since the Royals go there, all of your talented individuals leave.

You are now a dominion, culturally stagnant, stripped of its bright minds, fraught with internal conflicts and of little significance.

Where is the legacy you try to strive for? What in the whole thing, is there anything for Canada? The big issue is, the British Empire is restored, but what about Canada who actually did the restoration? Is it like a one-time use toilet paper to be thrown away? After leading the country, I have barely improved it, nor solved its internal issues, and leave nothing of significance behind.

The thing is, that you're simply not playing the British empire, but Canada as well.

I don't necessarily support a Canada-British union. I just want something that I can say at the end, "I accomplished this for the country I lead for the last few years." If you can't provide that, at least pave the union in, so that you can feel proud of the empire itself, instead of the detatched 'motherland' far across the sea you can't give a fuck about.

EDIT: To summarize, I hate playing as Canada as I hate growing attatched to it, because I feel like I've been a total asshole and my legacy to the country is... nothing, other than that I've used its blood and toil to liberate the empire, for which it gets penalized, as mentioned before. And in some cases, made the country worse, if I've ever implemented conscription, with Quebec and all. I'm playing as Canada not just the British Empire, dammit.

Last edited:
This all makes Canada seem like a dramatic nation.
Like it all has a moral, and a lesson, and is a cruel joke...you work so hard and all baby Canada gets is the satisfaction of being subservient to its master.

The thing that puts me off playing as Canada, is, after victory, I still own all the ships and divisions, most of which should be transferred to Britain. But, short of trading 5 ships & divisions (With 1 mp btw) every two weeks there's not a lot to do about it.

After the war, Canada should annex the UK, change its tag to the UK, then release Canada, and transfer a few initial divisions back to Canada, in my opinion.

When i found out that some of OTL British generals were in the UoB i was upset because i knew that when i completed my goal as Canada and played as the Uk i wouldn't get aany of them. there should be a pardon event where some of the leaders and ministers of the UoB join the UK because they were just obeying orders and want to make amends by serving the royals. I'm not sure how this could be made believable though as i'm sure a few of them would have joined the coup on the royals and thus be tried for treason and many other crimes. What i'm actually saying is make Montgomery the hero of North Africa in OTL join the UK because he is one of the best leaders in the game and to see him vanish after annexation is upsetting :(

When i found out that some of OTL British generals were in the UoB i was upset because i knew that when i completed my goal as Canada and played as the Uk i wouldn't get aany of them. there should be a pardon event where some of the leaders and ministers of the UoB join the UK because they were just obeying orders and want to make amends by serving the royals. I'm not sure how this could be made believable though as i'm sure a few of them would have joined the coup on the royals and thus be tried for treason and many other crimes. What i'm actually saying is make Montgomery the hero of North Africa in OTL join the UK because he is one of the best leaders in the game and to see him vanish after annexation is upsetting :(

Ministers? No, they're traitors and that's all there is to it. Maybe the UK would keep the less extreme ones out of jail, but they have no chance of getting into politics again. I could see parts of the military going back over to the UK though, they could say they were serving their country and didn't really care about UoB politics.

OK, so re: the Augsliech - federation seems to be better than keeping "dualism" in basically every respect since you not only keep the nations as puppets but Croatia becomes your direct puppet and all of the subject nations ally with you automatically. It seems strange to me that the "greater autonomy" mentioned in the decision basically amounts to nothing since the nations are no more autonomous if you pick "Dualism" than if you pick "Federalism" (puppet = puppet, after all). Honestly, the situation at the start of the game is more akin to federalism to begin with.

OK, so re: the Augsliech - federation seems to be better than keeping "dualism" in basically every respect since you not only keep the nations as puppets but Croatia becomes your direct puppet and all of the subject nations ally with you automatically. It seems strange to me that the "greater autonomy" mentioned in the decision basically amounts to nothing since the nations are no more autonomous if you pick "Dualism" than if you pick "Federalism" (puppet = puppet, after all). Honestly, the situation at the start of the game is more akin to federalism to begin with.

Hungary is slightly more likely to accept Dualism without a fight. But really Federalism should unpuppet everyone while allying them with each other, and give them Otto as Head of State. Assuming moving towards Federalism is supposed to be the opposite of Centralizing the empire.

On the topic of Canada, I'm planning to play them for the first time sometime soon. Any tips?
build a fleet that can beat the UoB and an assault army to take over the land. pretty much it.

on a side note: i was playing as UoB and the war cant be won. Canada superstacks the beaches and is out of range anyway, even from iceland (UoB is in range of iceland tho and newfoundland is in range of iceland but superstacked).

If the CSA wins the ACW, build infantry like crazy and pray. youre best bet is an armored blitz into the east coast out of new england while defending the frontier.

Indeed, this is exactly the point.

By the way, you can still do a lot as Canada after the release of Britain. I don't really understand why people think that they feel cheated.

Canada has excellent leaders without the exiled generals. It still keeps the tech teams. As LiamRiordan has pointed out, Britain becomes extremely powerful very quickly. Furthermore, Canada can assume military control of Britain's troops and lead them into battle.

I am guessing that few people play as Canada in regular DH. It is hard. But that is what makes it very enjoyable.

I do agree that the initial 6 divisions that Canada starts with and the Royal Navy should be transferred to Britain after the war. Although, not the Canadian divisions!

Edit: What about having the UK around from the beginning? Say in Newfoundland. Along the lines of Free France in DH. A government in exile if you will. They must rely on the Canadians (via events) to divert their industry to help them build up forces.

Last edited:
A government in exile for near 20 years? That's not a good idea, and they typically only stay around during times of war. The Royal Family needed to integrate with their loyal dominion in order to take command much more effectively in the long run.

We're discussing options to the naval handover from Canada to UK to make sure it picks up the original Royal Navy instead of the new Canadian Navy. While the Canadian numbers will go down, but in the long run, WWI ships in the 40's? Canada will benefit from it long-term.