• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darkrenown

Star marshal
141 Badges
Jan 8, 2002
no
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
DD 3 – Misc stuff

Hello everybody, welcome to the third FTM DD. We actually planned to give you a video DD this week, but it's taking longer than expected to be wrapped up (even though Podcat did all his own stunts), so instead I've hastily cobbled this together carefully selected a few minor things to show off.

First up, the last of our battle scenarios, Operation Unthinkable:
View attachment pic1.png
It's not quite done, but this shows the scope of the scenario. The decisive campaign will be fought in Northern Europe, although events in the off-map areas may affect what reinforcements you get. The goal of the Allies will be to quickly defeat the Soviet armies and lift the Iron Curtain without getting into a prolonged war, while the Soviets can win either by kicking the Allies out of Europe or simply by holding out for 2 years.

Next up, we have the infamous Hamhung Black Hole, the supply depot that drains all of Japan's supply and fuel. Admittedly this is a bug-fix, not a new feature, but we thought you might like to know we've fixed it. There were a few issues that combined to cause it, but they've been resolved, and we added some code to the Auto-convoy function so that it'll ship back excess supplies from overseas areas. Also, although it's not normal practice, we plan to back-port this into a SF patch so you won't need to buy FTM to get it. I ran a quick game as Japan today to test it, and it looks pretty good. Here's the stockpile after my war with China:
pic3.png

Another little change we made was how the supply bar on a unit works, it now shows how many days of supply are left in the current province:
pic4.png
(And yes, I will fix the typo there)

Finally, we have fixed a couple more bugs that might interest you:
Upgrading units can no longer result in bonus manpower, and resources shipped in from overseas areas are no longer doubled.

Come back on Friday for a bonus (totally serious!) DD on the tech tree.

Last edited:
Some great news about supplies issues in Japan, and I love that we can see now how many supply days a unit has left for battle ! :D
Keep up the good work Darkrenown and Paradox!

Good news about the supply bug, although I have to say the HPP mod fixed it sometime last year ;) I do appreciate you adjusting the Auto-convoy function, although I'm curious as to whether or not you changed it to stop sending supplies to empty island bases (ie islands with a naval base but no units on the island). I see this all the time and have to manually cancel the trade routes, so it would be great if the convoy AI wouldn't send supplies there in the first place.

It's not quite done, but this shows the scope of the scenario. The decisive campaign will be fought in Northern Europe, although events in the off-map areas may affect what reinforcements you get. The goal of the Allies will be to quickly defeat the Soviet armies and lift the Iron Curtain without getting into a prolonged war, while the Soviets can win either by kicking the Allies out of Europe or simply by holding out for 2 years.

Do these 'events in off-map areas' refer simply to random and scripted events as we know them, or is there a full game going on in these black off-map areas with units moving, going out of supply and so on? And if things in off-map areas can influence the on-map area, can things in the on-map area influence the off-map areas?

Good news about the bug fixes.

Good news about the supply bug, although I have to say the HPP mod fixed it sometime last year ;) I do appreciate you adjusting the Auto-convoy function, although I'm curious as to whether or not you changed it to stop sending supplies to empty island bases (ie islands with a naval base but no units on the island). I see this all the time and have to manually cancel the trade routes, so it would be great if the convoy AI wouldn't send supplies there in the first place.

I don't use HPP, but I doubt they actually fixed the code ;) Perhaps they have events to remove supplies and then spawn them back in the capital though? But yes, empty islands should no longer stock supplies either.

Do these 'events in off-map areas' refer simply to random and scripted events as we know them, or is there a full game going on in these black off-map areas with units moving, going out of supply and so on? And if things in off-map areas can influence the on-map area, can things in the on-map area influence the off-map areas?

Just regular events.

Oh, a Video DD ... the next step in evolution! :D

As much as I appreciate bug fixes - why not release DDs only when more content is on hand?
I don't know about others, but my expectations, when I see a new DD entry, are rather high. A random collection of sneaky info pieces and bug reports just doesn't satisfy my needs. ;)

I understand that you can't offer huge surprises each week, but pretty much all internal (combining CK2, Sengoku and FTM) DDs lately have been (imho) rather lame. Besides the moths of course, those were too cool to be real ... sadly.

As much as I appreciate bug fixes - why not release DDs only when more content is on hand?
I don't know about others, but my expectations, when I see a new DD entry, are rather high. A random collection of sneaky info pieces and bug reports just doesn't satisfy my needs. ;)

I understand that you can't offer huge surprises each week, but pretty much all internal (combining CK2, Sengoku and FTM) DDs lately have been (imho) rather lame. Besides the moths of course, those were too cool to be real ... sadly.

Would you rather have a 2 week gap between DDs? As I said, we did have a video planned, but since it's running late I thought a "filler" DD would be better than another week without one.

Would you rather have a 2 week gap between DDs? As I said, we did have a video planned, but since it's running late I thought a "filler" DD would be better than another week without one.

I don't know if a fixed schedule is even in the best interest of you and us. It is great when it fits, as it was the case for DW for example. There we had new features and topics in pretty much every single DD. That's worth to spread the news, start a discussion and it creates that special excitement.

From the 3 current projects that I mentioned, this was imho only the case once yet (besides the pure announcements of the projetcs), with CK2's second DD about the Barons and settlements. Before my head gets chopped, that is just my opinion and I only share it with the best intentions. ;)

Don't listen to that man. The more DD the better. :)

Another little change we made was how the supply bar on a unit works, it now shows how many days of supply are left in the current province:

Great addition! I think that the most significant problem with the supply system has been the lack of in-game information about it, which this will help tremendously. Now, just one last piece: give the player some direct control over how supply works. Presently, all control is indirect/finger-crossing to hope you fix your supply issues by setting up new convoys, building infrastructure, etc.

The screenshot with the supply left in province... I suppose it does show the supplies left for all units which are currently in the province? Any more news on supplies in general?

Yes, supply is shared so it counts all units in a province. As for supply in general, we hope to make the supply mapmode clearer so you can more easily see why a certain unit isn't getting supplies, but there won't be any major change in your level on control over supplies.

That's unfortunate :(

Any changes on the AI side of things, particularily production AI (ie does it change production priorites if it's running low on convoys etc, does it alter the position of items in the production queue etc) and all levels of command AI (better handling of troops so it doesn't send tanks into urban areas / mountains that often, air command and naval command need much love, too) ?

Also, although it's not normal practice, we plan to back-port this into a SF patch so you won't need to buy FTM to get it. .

I was going to buy FTM anyway but this is great to read.

Yes, the back-port will please a lot of people.