• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DrBob

Captain
10 Badges
Feb 27, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Iron Cross
  • March of the Eagles
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
Hi to all Iron Cross fans,
I have been working on the AI files for Iron Cross for about 5 weeks now and thought I might as well put it out for other gamers to enjoy.

I don't look at it as a mod really I just look at it as cleaning up the AI files and having the AI research what the countries researched historically. I have only changed a couple of events.

I play IC on top of Armaggodon so I don't know how it will work in AOD but it should be fine.

What I need now is a place to post the download for the game. I don't think I can post it on the forum though. any thoughts, good sites?

I would also like to have a couple of people play test the mod and give feed back direct to me. One who plays ARM and one who plays AOD.

PM me if you are interested, Cheers!!!!

Here is Version 2.2. New modded 39 start. includes all prev updates/patches. optimized for IC 1.02.

http://www.mediafire.com/?qnd1acc8wy8107n

Here is a quick patch Ver 2.2a. Better German research for 39 start, only, if you start at 33 scen. u r ok.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bkyb0s7whc8hr5d

Unrare over the game folder you use, I play on Arma so I unzip on the Arma folder. Mod is always being updated and only tested on Arma.

Here is DB's Ver 2.2AOD for AOD. for use with IC 1.02, Units files were left out of this Ver. they would cause err. in AOD.
Other then that it is the same as Ver2.2a for Arma.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?z8kj1xijawerfux

No issues reported.

Here is DB's AI mod Ver 3.01 beta4 for use with IC 1.03 beta9. Should work for both ARMA ver and AOD Ver.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y81278tebly11cu

Here is DB's AI mod Ver 3.01 beta4a. install over 3.01 beta4.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wpr74iqwhvk656p

Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Update #1

Modded switch files for ENG, USA, ITA, GER, JAP and SOV. Changed garrisons in all. ITA garrisons homeland, ENG garrisons Malta, Suez, Sov now have 2nd line of defence.

Changed all Naval files. dmg_return and leave port numbers are oppisite of what ARM uses so had to change those, hence ITA fleet now defends Med and all nation fleets sail at around 25 to 35 percent damaged. No more fleets sitting in port waiting for the one destroyer to be repaired. I also changed all invasion files "redirect=home", i noticed that ITA transports where sitting at sea and not doing anything so I changed their redirect to home and they strated picking up troops and attacking, I then read a thread about shore prov with no port and they couldn't land there and dev said that it was for crossing islands. I see that as the problem for the AI invading.

I have changed all research files and it made a big diff for the SOV. I also changed the att files for Barb. I removed some of the extra stuff to help the SOV, they don't need the help, have them reserch correct techs and build the right units and they are fine. Pushed early gde up a tenth. I would like to remove all of it. I have SOV build industry until mid 38 and they are much stronger. Modded all Sov build files. Also lower buildtime and cost in event 2657 from -75 to -7. I noticed ai using all of its MP to build units and checked SOV in Aug 41 and inf cost 2.6 and took 8 days to build, now that is some quick training, unrealistic!!! I still have to see how that works. I am about ready to do a release.

I still have not set up a web site for downloads so I have not posted the mod. If some one would like to post it for me that would be a great help. Cheers!

thanks, I will try megaupload.

In my last test run, Sov was driving to Berlin in early 43, I need to make event for Ger to defend the Fatherland. Japan was moving through India and had Philipines. UK and USA attacked Italy, Greece and Nat Spain several times, great battles in the med. and finally pushed through spain. I still have to look at builds of sov but I think it is fine. i hope to post this weekend.

Well, here it is, DB's AI Mod Ver. 1.1

I installed it over IC ver 1.01 Rev 6 and it loaded fine. Again I use IC over ARM, i have not tested it on AOD but should work fine. Let me know what you think of it.

There is a DB's Ai mod read me that should be loaded in your main game folder, ARM or AOD. Install as any Patch, over your game folder that you are using.

The mod only changes 33 start files and all major switch files and 10 events. It should help in any year you start but I play/tested from 33.
Edit removed link go down further for 1.1a

Enjoy. Cheers!!!!

Oh Yeah, In last test run Ger beat off every allied landing and is holding the Sov and it is March 44!!!!

Last edited:
Hi,

install folder means HoI2 or Doomsday?

Probably not but I`ll ask anyway:

- save game compatible?

Rgds, Oldtimer

Hi Oldtimer,
you would install it over whatever you installed Iron Cross over. In my case it is the Armmaggdon folder. If you installed IC over Dooms then install it to that.

It is not fully save game comp but if you want to see how Barbarossa turns out with my changes it should work but try at your own risk,

enjoy, DB

Hi DrBob,

and thx. ARMA actually installs into DD folder and that`s why many install instructions are confusing.

Anyway I installed this and started a French campaign. Can`t wait till I get my six handed to me...

Rgds, Oldtimer

Quick update, warning, SOV building air units after DOW on FIN. I have found error and testing. I guess I copied over one of my changes. I will post 1.1a soon. 1.1a will only change 4 files, but will include whole mod. Make sure you save in Oct 39, before Sov DOW on FIN. Changes should work from that point on.

Sorry, DB

Here is update 1.1a

edit removed old URL.

Sov is building lots of units, target is total of 300divs by June 22, 41. i think it is there. I also changed bonus from GDE event for morale and repair, lowered to 5 added research bonus. I also tweaked Usa italy and D day.

I hope this one plays right. It looks like Sov should be real tough.

Enjoy, DrBob

Last edited:
Hi Dr,

on Aug 6 1939 UK has:

- 9 INF, 11 GAR, 4 MIL, 4 HQ ie 28 land divs total.

A bit few methinks... Everything in my game went historical except Adolf honouring the Munich Treaty.
Playing with latest ver of your mod, installed over saves done on your previous release.

Rgds, Oldtimer

Hi O.T.,
thanks for the info. Glad you got the update. Interested on how it plays. I did not touch the UK builds at all. It may jump after poland and war.

Ger war with lux, hol and Bel should happen in May, i did push that back. I did not touch Barb events and I have seen it once where it did not happen. No good.

I still don't like USA at war events, d-day can still happen in early 42 without n. africa conquered. that may be one of the last things I look at,

cheers, DB

Hi Dr,

UK land forces builds sure jumped up after war started. But UK is bad at guarding Gib and Suez, very bad.

Situation now in late 1940 is that Italy is still neutral as France(me) holds on thx to a succesful Dyle plan but there are no Brits in the Middle East excpt one Gar in Suez. The backdoor to the channel is wide open if someone wants in. Syria will not be able to save the day on their own, that`s for sure.

Rgds, Oldtimer

Hi Dr,

Aug 1941, no Barbarossa yet. No expeditionary land forces from other Allies in France. Irrespectively of Italy still being neutral I find it strange that noone is interested in helping break positional status quo in Europe. France can`t do it all alone.

Also, after the Allied guarantees to Greece expire I think Italy should attack them whether in the Axis or not.

Rgds, Oldtimer

HI O.T.
thnx for update. I have seen Ger not DOW on Sov in one or 2 games. I reload in Dec 40 and see if it changes. I have not looked at those events. it may be due to Ger still figthing Fra and not occuping Paris. Paris is in alot of triggers. Yes, I still have prob with U.K. garr the Med. It may be do to naval restrictions on the fleet.

How many troops does Sov have in Aug 41? Do you use the F12 key with the cheats to check? real easy to check if you do.

cheers, DB

Hi Dr.,

in Aug 1941 SU fields:

- 297 divs of which 78 are combustion powered. Now in Dec 1941 there are massive SU troop concentrations on the German border while Ger is practically absent there. Germany out of mp! SU should absolutely DoW them.

Some other observations:

- Alliance with Poland announced first Sept 5 1939?!

- Germany went with No deals with the Soviets Jan 1940, should increase the chance of a Soviet DoW on Germany.

- Germany makes unopposed landing in Norway Nov 1940 and withdraws! Albania, Greece and Norway still around Dec 1941.

- before May 1940 France should get at least 1 exile Polish Inf div and 1 Mtn. Maybe also 1 L Arm and 1 interceptor wing. This is historical.

Rgds, Oldtimer

Hi OT,

real happy to see those numbers for SU, very nice, :).

I have an idea for handling some of the issues if ger dosen't Occ. paris, like the SU attacking Ger. and having Italy entering the war with Ger in say Aug 40 even if Paris not Occ.

i have not disected the Ger events but i have also seen some strange troop movements and inaction. I have not seen a llanding and then a withdrawal, though.

ai chance, that is a strange one, i think i check one event and it was ai chance = 10 but would fire every 5th game.

I have added events for USA att North africa and cut down the number of triggers in Dday.

thanks for update, as always, Cheers!!!!

Hi Dr.,

re Italy I`m not sure they should enter the war against the Allies every time regardless of Paris having fallen or not.

Musso didn`t join Adolph in September 1939 correctly pointing out that war start was planned for 1942/3 at the earliest and Italy was not ready. His war entry was pure opportunism and fear of being left without spoils.
But he should certainly go after Albania no matter what and Greece if they are not guaranteed.

Also IMHO the Allies should start sending land troops to France if the French hold in the North say from Oct 1940.

The abandoned Norwegian landing was against Unknown String Wanted or something like it. Maybe this explains the withdrawal?

Rgds, Oldtimer

Hi again,

some observations re Japan:

- they DoW-ed us Feb 1942. With 57 land divs, 18 of which are garrisons...

I don`t remember if Mengkukuo was formed but there isn`t one by April 1942 anyway. NO Japs in Korea and Manchukuo though there is an invasion of the Philippines by a mixed Jap/Manchukuo force.

Nat China, warlords and Allies will sweep the Japs(or rather the Manchus) out of Asian mainland soonish. By then, if realism is to prevail, Japan should implode on itself because of lacking resources.
So you`re far from done on this mod...

Rgds, Oldtimer