+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mods on a Mac?

Mods on a Mac?

So I know that Paradox doesn't make the games for a Mac, and it is a third party, but is there a way to install mods on a Mac? Whatever company does the porting eventually comes out with patches so I have whatever that last(non beta) patch. I've tried overwriting the files (after backup) wiht the victoria rebalance... mod but the game does not start: if revert to backed up files it does in fact start- do I need to put them into another folder?

Virginiatiger
    Last edited by virginiatiger; 26-03-2011 at 22:03.

I am very interested in this as well. I just bought a MacBook Pro, 15inch with the 256 video card. Should I still get Windows and try to play through Bootcamp?

Any thoughts on how portable the mods are to Mac? I played HOI2 extensively and usually played through bootcamp because the mods are so valuable and I didn't know if I could port them to Mac.

Best,

Mike

I have been playing PDM on my Mac port by Virtual Programming.
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...M-mod-on-a-Mac

All you have to do is replace all folders carefully.
    Mods and multiplayer work fine on a Mac: what you don't get is beta updates though.

Benevolent Imperialist flame7926's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

I think you should just use bootcamp, saves a bunch of hassle and if you are planning to have multiple paradox games, well they will get patched quicker.
    Come see my AAR: Scandinavia: 1890-1936 w/ Great Wars : Dead
    Try my user tweak for PDM mod Victoria 2. Winter, gaining cores, and more.
    Victoria 2 Pop Utility, works with any version
    White Man's Burden mod for Victoria 2. Greatly improves exploration and colonization, as well as rebellions and international affairs: Coming Soon
    Contact me by PM or at flame7926@gmail.com if you are interested in helping

Macs have some strange stuff related with folders merging, so I use a app called CopyMerge to make it work.

But I forgot where I downloaded :/

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Since the .mod system doesn't seem to work anyway, its just a matter of creating a replica of the fresh install folder and slotting in everything folder by folder, or using a file merger. I use Araxis Merge to combine mods, my own mod mix is a combination of about 12 mini and medium sized mods.

There seems to be no difference modding on a mac than on PC, except that the 1.4 patch hasn't been ported yet, and a few of the newer mods are based on this patch rather than 1.3, which is the latest mac patch port.

Darkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2

Did you download it from the Mac App Store, or is it a boxed version? I'm not sure how Vicky runs from the App Store. Does it have the launcher? I think bootcamp is the best thing you can do to get it to run properly. I use it to play all my games on my 2010 Macbook.

Hopefully Paradox will start porting games to the mac, that way they could gain more fans and users.
    1 Student
    Nationality: Yankee (German/British-American)
    Religion: Protestant
    Ideology: Moderate
    Issues: Pro Military/Moralism
    Current Work: Student/Clerk
    Revoltrisk: 25%

The main thing is to make history, not to write it. ~ Otto von Bismarck

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Virtual Programming do an excellent port of Vicky 2 and Eu3.

+ Reply to Thread