Win a trip for two to the “city in motion” of your choice!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You don't need so much time to make a map...
Starting from nothing (never touched the map editor), I made in 6 hours the landscape, the roads, the trains, an airport, a farm area, a small village and a buisness area on a medium size map, knowing that I spend most of my time trying to deal with landscape problem as I putted quite huge hills.
But no details are placed right now. and I still need to create the main city.

I never expected to get my project done in time for the deadline of this project as I know from experience just how long projects of this type can take; nevertheless, I did try. As I have only partially completed the downtown central area in the course of about 40+ hours spanning over 3 weeks, I can say that it can and usually does take a long time. In my opinion, quality of a map should the priority in my opinion meaning that a map should be appealing, challenging, unique, and overall fun to play.

Reading you other post, I agree; it does seem become more complicated and time consuming as time goes on. Details appear to be 2/3 of the battle in this game, but I wouldn't go too excessive on them as they can become distracting when overused.

Currently, I've stalled on my map for about 4 days as there is just no time for me to get around to competing this task so I'm certain that it will not be done even if it is heavily rushed. Alas, this might have not been such a bad thing after all; I'm considering modding my game to allow for me to create timed maps and if I were to do so, the city would begin expanding about right where I left off 4 days ago. For me, this is bittersweet.

I'll see how it goes and might end up creating a forum topic for the map and any others I might create.

WOW. That is a huge amount of time! I'm looking forward to see the results of this competition.
The details are amazing, but I think most important is to create a challenging map. Some cities are just impossible to lay down an efficient transportation system, and some others can be just boring. Sometimes you just get annoyed when you can't put a bus stop in a perfect stop because of it's inclination. Sometimes the perfect tram line it's impossible because of a train line. Those are more important than looks.
Details sometimes are breath taking. It's very nice to see a crack on the floor or a dirty road near a construction site. But not necessary for gameplay.
Don't know what is the criteria to evaluate the maps, but they should consider things in different weights.

btw i have a Q. Will be maps be viewed from 2010 or they will be viewd from the 1920 till 2020? if its only 1 year the map will be rated that i would like to know

In the map editor you can choose the year. And in the original map editor there's not the timeline support, so the city doesn't grow. So if you build the city in 1925, of course it should look like an older city than in 2011, for example.

We want all the gamers to have equal chance in this competition, so no additional stuff is allowed. I hope you understand the situation, since not all the gamers are able to do texture variations or use mods.

In the map editor you can choose the year. And in the original map editor there's not the timeline support, so the city doesn't grow. So if you build the city in 1925, of course it should look like an older city than in 2011, for example.

We want all the gamers to have equal chance in this competition, so no additional stuff is allowed. I hope you understand the situation, since not all the gamers are able to do texture variations or use mods.

Oh lol okey, i thought that the time line thingy is allowed lol big fail from my side, but okey it makes the mapping a lot more easyer now .. thx :)

p.s i have started the map from 1920 and now im around the 1945 but if i whant that my rating year is 2010 should i just keep building on that year ir becouse i have used the timeline i have to make the map all ower?

Identifying Files

Hi I'm almost done making a map and I've found the map files in my directory but im unsure of which one to inlude. There are the scenerio files, Grid files ect. Is there a certain one you want or should I zip them up and send them all?

Would have been nice if all these rules were outlined from the beginning! My map comes with a full timeline which now i have to remove... not to mention texture variations... :( Time wasted

Would have been nice if all these rules were outlined from the beginning! My map comes with a full timeline which now i have to remove... not to mention texture variations... :( Time wasted

yeah there woes lack of information but i like betther that there is one year than a timeline, and same here buddy i lost alot of work but i still hade alot to do but now that its only 1 year i have less to make :)

I'm very sorry that I didn't realize this sooner and point out that you should only use the tools available in the game, no mods etc. I hope this doesn't prevent you from making a map for the competition!

So a couple of days to submit your map. Are there anyone still working on one for Friday?

Oh No!
I spend hours and hours on my map just to found out that the mods aren't allowed!
Before I started I checked the rules and didn't found any restrictions when it comes to the mods.
Oh darn, at first I wasn't sure if I could finish the map in time (work, kids, life etc) now I am defenitely sure I won't be able to get it finished :(
I'll give it a try anyway because we can't afford such a vacation ourselves!
But the competition is rather impressive!

Ooh, a fine competition this! Have spent the best part of this month trying to get a map done. Should have picked 768x768 instead of 1024x1024! Looks like I won't be finished in time, though. Huge amount of time, and living IRL impossible when creating a proper map! :wacko:

I just need ask it to be spelled out for me. Is the deadline tomorrow, eg. BEFORE it is Friday = Thursday 2359 hours, or is it the day AFTER tomorrow, eg. before Saturday = Friday 2359 hours? =)

Also, what is the file size limit for posting more or less finished maps in ZIP format onto the forum?

Ooh, a fine competition this! Have spent the best part of this month trying to get a map done. Should have picked 768x768 instead of 1024x1024! Looks like I won't be finished in time, though. Huge amount of time, and living IRL impossible when creating a proper map! :wacko:

I just need ask it to be spelled out for me. Is the deadline tomorrow, eg. BEFORE it is Friday = Thursday 2359 hours, or is it the day AFTER tomorrow, eg. before Saturday = Friday 2359 hours? =)

Also, what is the file size limit for posting more or less finished maps in ZIP format onto the forum?

should probobly be friday 23:59