+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #0 - 25th March 2011

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Development Diary #0 - 25th March 2011

Hello and Welcome to the first development diary for Sengoku. I'm Johan Andersson, the Producer of this game. In this the first development diary, I just want to give a quick outline of what we aim to achieve with the game, and introduce the core of the team.

We've been talking for years about making a game set in Japan, as we have several employees with a deep interest in East Asia, and our CEO once lived there for a while. When we worked on the design for CKII, we realised that we could actually make a game set in 16th and 17th century Japan, a game that would feel like a true Paradox game.

Our vision for the game is to take one large pinch of character focus from Crusader Kings, one pinch of clear mechanics from EU3, one pinch of interface knowledge from Victoria II and a large base of cool, new mechanics that would fit Japan.

The core of the team consists of Besuchov as the project lead - he was the lead for Victoria 2 and has been working with us as a senior programmer since HoI2 - Aerie, who handles the look of the game, Birken who does the bulk of the programming, King who made the design, and Captain Gars for the scripts. Other people heavily involved in the project is Yonaz, Solsara & Viktor. Finally, there is me who ends up with the fun tasks of writing development diaries

So, here is a screenshot of the game as it looks today.... And we'll see you next week, when we'll talk a little bit about the map.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sengoku_alpha_screenshot11.png‎
Views:	9249
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	33756  
    Last edited by Doomdark; 25-03-2011 at 14:05.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

I'm excited.
    Will we get a DD every Friday for Sengoku?

Edit: You mention "we could actually make a game set in 16th and 17th century Japan" The game starts in 1471 (according to earlier comments). So, we can expect it to last at least until the 1600s? Just trying to get an idea of the extend of the time frame.

Edit2: Nevermind my start in 1471 comment. I picked it from the dev comments thread. I see that the screen shows 1467. My questions remains though, 1467 till...what?
    Last edited by Romtos; 25-03-2011 at 14:39.

Every week? Jolly good! I wasn't quite keen on the idea of a Japan game at first to be honest, but the info we have up until now has changed my opinion

Looking forward to finding out more!

what year is this suppose to be? in years like 1550 is far more chaos than this, seems like only the major sengoku powers are in here, all the minors are ignored

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    King Arthur IIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiSengoku500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

If no other EU3 expansion comes out before this game, Sengoku will be my next buy! From the ss i can see a lot of provinces, Himeji-like castles and flags (I already love them).
    So, form what i see, Sengoku has all the right cards to be a GREAT game... can't wait until the next Diary!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2

If this is not very detailed or awesome as i hope CKII Would be, I think you are now stepping on to the landmine... But we will see and hope because Shogun 2 is great

Pan Celticist Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Wow, it looks great.... we all like to say here on the forums graphics aren't that important, but they are really. If a game's mechanics are amazing then graphics that aren't top class shouldn't ruin it, but that doesn't mean great graphics shouldn't be appreciated, and these are great graphics. A very nice feel to it... looks as if there is somewhat of a yellowish-orange filter over the camera, textures are nice, love the castles. Great job, Aerie!

Quote Originally Posted by whatguts View Post
    what year is this suppose to be? in years like 1550 is far more chaos than this, seems like only the major sengoku powers are in here, all the minors are ignored
    This is just a wild guess on my part, but the year's probably 1467

When is this supposed to come out? I thought Paradox had only one new game team and that they were working on CKII, but apparently you have been expanding (Great!). Is this coming out more or less alongside CKII, rather than a year and a half later?
    Against my better judgement, I've begun an AAR: The Blobfather

Quote Originally Posted by BonSequitur View Post
    When is this supposed to come out? I thought Paradox had only one new game team and that they were working on CKII, but apparently you have been expanding (Great!). Is this coming out more or less alongside CKII, rather than a year and a half later?
    Release date is Q3, 2011, last we heard.

HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club

Wait... this is an official Paradox title, not a fan-made spin-off like Arsenal of Democracy and For the Glory? I'm suddenly very, very interested!

Johan, what do you mean 'clear mechanics' from EU3?

Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    We've been talking for years about making a game set in Japan, as we have several employees with a deep interest in East Asia, and our CEO once lived there for a while. When we worked on the design for CKII, we realised that we could actually make a game set in 16th and 17th century Japan, a game that would feel like a true Paradox game.
    You forgot to add that the Creative Assembly published Shogun: Total War and therefore have to make a competitor

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Darkrenown isn't participating?
    This game is doomed I say! Doomed!

Or wait, maybe I mix it up and it is a benefit. Damn, guess I'll have to wait and see.
    War is a series of catastrophes that results in a victory.
    Georges Clemenceau (1841 - 1929)

Usermod Coordinator Paradox Dev Team Captain Gars's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindSengoku

Quote Originally Posted by King Size View Post
    You forgot to add that the Creative Assembly published Shogun: Total War and therefore have to make a competitor
    Well, considering that Shogun: Total War was released eleven years ago, I think we might be a bit too late for that.
    "I don't want to know or hear anything about neutrality. This is a fight between God and the devil. If he wants to side with God, then he has to join me. If he prefers to side with the devil, then indeed he must fight me. There is no third way."

Senior Scripter & Usermod Coordinator

(DON'T PM ME ABOUT MODDING ISSUES - THERE ARE SUBFORUMS FOR THAT)

~ Ivan Turina ~

Usermod Coordinator Paradox Dev Team Captain Gars's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindSengoku

Quote Originally Posted by LaIsHeR View Post
    If this is not very detailed or awesome as i hope CKII Would be, I think you are now stepping on to the landmine...
    What...?
    "I don't want to know or hear anything about neutrality. This is a fight between God and the devil. If he wants to side with God, then he has to join me. If he prefers to side with the devil, then indeed he must fight me. There is no third way."

Senior Scripter & Usermod Coordinator

(DON'T PM ME ABOUT MODDING ISSUES - THERE ARE SUBFORUMS FOR THAT)

~ Ivan Turina ~

Reichsmarschall Paradox Dev Team Darkrenown's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Golwar View Post
    Darkrenown isn't participating?
    This game is doomed I say! Doomed!
    I like the cut of your jib, Golwar, it's good to-

Or wait, maybe I mix it up and it is a benefit. Damn, guess I'll have to wait and see.
    Oh

I'm sure I'll help out a bit with testing etc later, but I'm on Team Awesome, working on FTM.
    Relentless madman.

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parokki View Post
    Wait... this is an official Paradox title, not a fan-made spin-off like Arsenal of Democracy and For the Glory? I'm suddenly very, very interested!
    Yes. Entirely internally developed!

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrenown View Post
    I'm sure I'll help out a bit with testing etc later, but I'm on Team Awesome, working on FTM.
    If you guys manage to transform HoI3 into a real gem (by my rating) with FTM, you guys are indeed awesome and I won't wonder ever again, if your participation should be regarded positive or negative.

But back to Sengoku, can't wait to read some "real stuff" soon. I also had (and still have) my doubts about its concept and timing, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
    War is a series of catastrophes that results in a victory.
    Georges Clemenceau (1841 - 1929)

67 games registered

CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Having finally sucumbed to buying Shogun2 for all those tender eleven year ago memories when TW was good, all I can say is damn that's a lot of provinces! When things get chaotic it really is going to get chaotic.
    Non Angelus Sed Anglus

The Barcelona-based Sport: 'Football punishes Barca - Unjust, cruel, horrible, unmerited. Any adjective is not enough to define the incredible elimination of Barca at the hands of Chelsea.'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast