• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Hello and Welcome to the first development diary for Sengoku. I'm Johan Andersson, the Producer of this game. In this the first development diary, I just want to give a quick outline of what we aim to achieve with the game, and introduce the core of the team.

We've been talking for years about making a game set in Japan, as we have several employees with a deep interest in East Asia, and our CEO once lived there for a while. When we worked on the design for CKII, we realised that we could actually make a game set in 16th and 17th century Japan, a game that would feel like a true Paradox game.

Our vision for the game is to take one large pinch of character focus from Crusader Kings, one pinch of clear mechanics from EU3, one pinch of interface knowledge from Victoria II and a large base of cool, new mechanics that would fit Japan.

The core of the team consists of Besuchov as the project lead - he was the lead for Victoria 2 and has been working with us as a senior programmer since HoI2 - Aerie, who handles the look of the game, Birken who does the bulk of the programming, King who made the design, and Captain Gars for the scripts. Other people heavily involved in the project is Yonaz, Solsara & Viktor. Finally, there is me who ends up with the fun tasks of writing development diaries :)

So, here is a screenshot of the game as it looks today.... And we'll see you next week, when we'll talk a little bit about the map.

attachment.php

Attachments

• sengoku_alpha_screenshot11.png
    sengoku_alpha_screenshot11.png
    2,5 MB · Views: 9.683
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm excited. :D
Will we get a DD every Friday for Sengoku?

Edit: You mention "we could actually make a game set in 16th and 17th century Japan" The game starts in 1471 (according to earlier comments). So, we can expect it to last at least until the 1600s? Just trying to get an idea of the extend of the time frame.

Edit2: Nevermind my start in 1471 comment. I picked it from the dev comments thread. I see that the screen shows 1467. My questions remains though, 1467 till...what? :p

Last edited:
Every week? Jolly good! I wasn't quite keen on the idea of a Japan game at first to be honest, but the info we have up until now has changed my opinion :D

Looking forward to finding out more!

what year is this suppose to be? in years like 1550 is far more chaos than this, seems like only the major sengoku powers are in here, all the minors are ignored

If no other EU3 expansion comes out before this game, Sengoku will be my next buy! From the ss i can see a lot of provinces, Himeji-like castles and flags (I already love them).
So, form what i see, Sengoku has all the right cards to be a GREAT game... can't wait until the next Diary!

If this is not very detailed or awesome as i hope CKII Would be, I think you are now stepping on to the landmine... But we will see and hope because Shogun 2 is great

Wow, it looks great.... we all like to say here on the forums graphics aren't that important, but they are really. If a game's mechanics are amazing then graphics that aren't top class shouldn't ruin it, but that doesn't mean great graphics shouldn't be appreciated, and these are great graphics. A very nice feel to it... looks as if there is somewhat of a yellowish-orange filter over the camera, textures are nice, love the castles. Great job, Aerie!

When is this supposed to come out? I thought Paradox had only one new game team and that they were working on CKII, but apparently you have been expanding (Great!). Is this coming out more or less alongside CKII, rather than a year and a half later?

Johan said:
We've been talking for years about making a game set in Japan, as we have several employees with a deep interest in East Asia, and our CEO once lived there for a while. When we worked on the design for CKII, we realised that we could actually make a game set in 16th and 17th century Japan, a game that would feel like a true Paradox game.
You forgot to add that the Creative Assembly published Shogun: Total War and therefore have to make a competitor :)

Darkrenown isn't participating? :(
This game is doomed I say! Doomed!

Or wait, maybe I mix it up and it is a benefit. Damn, guess I'll have to wait and see. ;)

You forgot to add that the Creative Assembly published Shogun: Total War and therefore have to make a competitor :)

Well, considering that Shogun: Total War was released eleven years ago, I think we might be a bit too late for that.

If this is not very detailed or awesome as i hope CKII Would be, I think you are now stepping on to the landmine...

What...?

Wait... this is an official Paradox title, not a fan-made spin-off like Arsenal of Democracy and For the Glory? I'm suddenly very, very interested! :)

Yes. Entirely internally developed!

I'm sure I'll help out a bit with testing etc later, but I'm on Team Awesome, working on FTM.

If you guys manage to transform HoI3 into a real gem (by my rating) with FTM, you guys are indeed awesome and I won't wonder ever again, if your participation should be regarded positive or negative. :D

But back to Sengoku, can't wait to read some "real stuff" soon. I also had (and still have) my doubts about its concept and timing, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Having finally sucumbed to buying Shogun2 for all those tender eleven year ago memories when TW was good, all I can say is damn that's a lot of provinces! When things get chaotic it really is going to get chaotic.