• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Phileas Fogg

Second Lieutenant
19 Badges
May 11, 2010
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
I'm curious; what do people think the best form of Government is in EU3? While it depends on the situation as well as a players goals, I'm sure most people have some sort of a preference. I'll go first,

I think absolute monarchy is best for expansion: good number of magistrates and that Casus belli on all countries is just so good.

I think that constitutional republic is very good in that you get a lot of magistrates and can replace your ruler every 4 years if you so choose. Then again you don't get to play around with royalty so diplo annexing is much harder.

So what do other people think?

While it depends on the situation as well as a players goals
You basically answered the question yourself. Choosing a "favorite" is kind of silly, since it depends on what your goals are, what your country is like, what your tech level is and a number of other things.

Pretty much every form of government has some advantage and disadvantage to it. I couldn't name any one and say "this is the one I like best".

Depends how much fighting you plan to do. A Constitutional Republic or Monarchy are good peace governments, though also good for war if you can get CBs.

For war mongers Absolute Monarchy is good, changing to Enlightened Despotism in the late game for the infamy reductions and spy defence.

Absolute monarchy is the only way to go:D Its Absolute or its not a monarchy XD. Jk.

I love the Absolute Monarchy government. That is what I usually try to tech towards. Feudal Monarchies are quite useful too. At least pre-17th century.

My favourite government type is Republican Dictatorship. Free casus bellis on everyone and it really fits a warmonger playstyle in both flavour and with the gameplay bonuses it gives you

Constitutional Monarchy is my personal favourite, Constitutional republic is a lot better for bonuses, but I cant stand playing without a monarchy in control.

at begin i try to become an empire . morale boost, for begin good magistrates, it's a monarchy, dow holy war against any non religious group cb ( normally you need a border or Crusade ). Later of course absolute monarchy and late game of course enlightened_despotism with it's infamy reduction, being a monarchy and the cb cb_imperial

Monarchies for warmongers, republics for trade countries.

I like Admin Republic. But then there's Imperialism CB...

My favourite government type is Republican Dictatorship. Free casus bellis on everyone and it really fits a warmonger playstyle in both flavour and with the gameplay bonuses it gives you

I often end up with those too, going for a republic ASAP and then wanting to have the Imperialism CB. It's unfortunate that they don't have elections though.

Does Enlightened Despotism give the Imperialism CB? I have never played long enough to reach it :p
If so, it would be even better than my current favourite: Absolute Monarchy (of course).

It does give Imperialism, yes.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Revolutionary Republic and Empire yet. They give some pretty snazzy bonuses, plus the imperialism CB -and- all the good stuff that comes with being a republic or monarchy, respectively.

It does give Imperialism, yes.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Revolutionary Republic and Empire yet. They give some pretty snazzy bonuses, plus the imperialism CB -and- all the good stuff that comes with being a republic or monarchy, respectively.

Yeah, but don't you basically have to run your country into the ground to get the revolution?

Taking the Revolutionary Forms out of the equation, since they're nigh on impossible to get if you're playing decently, and only available in a limited timeframe, it boils down to a choice of three imo.

Absolute Monarchy: The warmonger Government. You have access to PU's, no slider restrictions, and a nice discipline bonus. But most of all, you have Imperialism.
Constitutional Monarchy: The prestigious Government. It's easy to look at Const.Monarchy and think it's awful. However, the Prestige Decay reduction is nice, but what is really nice is separation of powers, which is only available when you stay a Constituional Monarchy. Put them together and your Prestige will grow to a higher equilibrium and decay slower above that. Perfect if you're hungry for PU's. No Imperialism however.
Constitutional Republic: 20% Production Efficiency is a huge bonus. You also get the huge boon of electing leaders every 4 years and never being stuck with a Regency Council, nor having to worry about Legitimacy. On the other hand, you'll miss out on most of the Legitimacy bonuses (minus the +Tolerance ones), and you lack the ability to form PUs. You lack Imperialism, but if you plan the game carefully, Revolution & Counter Revolution often becomes very powerful in the hands of a Republic since most nations stay Monarchies if left to their own.

Honourable Mention: Republican Dictatorship: You're never stuck without a leader, can "elect" them upon death, and get Imperialism. Ofcourse, you trade that safety for missing out on the PU's of Absolute Monarchy.

Personally, I tend to like expanding more slowly, and so am not really fussed on Imperialism. I tend to either just go Con Rep or Con Mon, depending upon whether I want the flavour of a Republic or a Monarchy.

My favourite is administrative monarchy with protestant or reformed religions. I like to play economic powerhouses and the production and trade bonuses really come in handy.