+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best form of Government

Achtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Best form of Government

I'm curious; what do people think the best form of Government is in EU3? While it depends on the situation as well as a players goals, I'm sure most people have some sort of a preference. I'll go first,

I think absolute monarchy is best for expansion: good number of magistrates and that Casus belli on all countries is just so good.

I think that constitutional republic is very good in that you get a lot of magistrates and can replace your ruler every 4 years if you so choose. Then again you don't get to play around with royalty so diplo annexing is much harder.

So what do other people think?

Emperor Demi Moderator Marconius's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDungeonland
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    Magicka: Wizard Wars Starter WizardWarlock 2: The Exiled

While it depends on the situation as well as a players goals
    You basically answered the question yourself. Choosing a "favorite" is kind of silly, since it depends on what your goals are, what your country is like, what your tech level is and a number of other things.

Pretty much every form of government has some advantage and disadvantage to it. I couldn't name any one and say "this is the one I like best".

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Depends how much fighting you plan to do. A Constitutional Republic or Monarchy are good peace governments, though also good for war if you can get CBs.

For war mongers Absolute Monarchy is good, changing to Enlightened Despotism in the late game for the infamy reductions and spy defence.
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    MagickaRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: Warband

Absolute monarchy is the only way to go Its Absolute or its not a monarchy XD. Jk.
    "Gentlemen, if this man [Frederick the Great] were still alive I would not be here,"
    -Napoleon Bonaparte, after defeating Prussia.

NINJA

Sometimes I think about living in different periods of history, and then I realize that there would be no Central Heating, and I stop thinking.

I have a peculiar fondness for noble republic.

Elections + personal unions. Its very nice for a small country, which I tend to start as.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaEUIV: Art of War

I love the Absolute Monarchy government. That is what I usually try to tech towards. Feudal Monarchies are quite useful too. At least pre-17th century.
    All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness.
    ~Mark Kennedy~

Quote Originally Posted by Ashantai View Post
    Enlightened Despotism in the late game for the infamy reductions and spy defence.
    Does Enlightened Despotism give the Imperialism CB? I have never played long enough to reach it :P
    If so, it would be even better than my current favourite: Absolute Monarchy (of course).

My favourite government type is Republican Dictatorship. Free casus bellis on everyone and it really fits a warmonger playstyle in both flavour and with the gameplay bonuses it gives you

Better than Royalty (ABB) DoomBunny's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    East India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2
    Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Constitutional Monarchy is my personal favourite, Constitutional republic is a lot better for bonuses, but I cant stand playing without a monarchy in control.

at begin i try to become an empire . morale boost, for begin good magistrates, it's a monarchy, dow holy war against any non religious group cb ( normally you need a border or Crusade ). Later of course absolute monarchy and late game of course enlightened_despotism with it's infamy reduction, being a monarchy and the cb cb_imperial

Your Friendly Dictator Grubnessul's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Way of Life

Banished to the 8th circle of Hell after mentioning rule 34 to Canonized
    Monarchies for warmongers, republics for trade countries.
    "History is form of cybersex!"
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    - General Schenkhuizen, Timeslines: What if Spain failed to control the world?
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

Commander: Conquest of the Americas

Blog Entries
    I like Admin Republic. But then there's Imperialism CB...
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultElven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV

Empire, and stay the same the whole game. Who would dare denigrate the dignity of our most august Imperator! <3

Otherwise I like Absolute Monarchy for the CB or Constitutional Republic for great justice!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto I, HRE View Post
    My favourite government type is Republican Dictatorship. Free casus bellis on everyone and it really fits a warmonger playstyle in both flavour and with the gameplay bonuses it gives you
    I often end up with those too, going for a republic ASAP and then wanting to have the Imperialism CB. It's unfortunate that they don't have elections though.

Emperor Demi Moderator Marconius's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDungeonland
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    Magicka: Wizard Wars Starter WizardWarlock 2: The Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Acin View Post
    Does Enlightened Despotism give the Imperialism CB? I have never played long enough to reach it :P
    If so, it would be even better than my current favourite: Absolute Monarchy (of course).
    It does give Imperialism, yes.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Revolutionary Republic and Empire yet. They give some pretty snazzy bonuses, plus the imperialism CB -and- all the good stuff that comes with being a republic or monarchy, respectively.

Nicest jerk you'll ever meet vintis88's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Marconius View Post
    It does give Imperialism, yes.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Revolutionary Republic and Empire yet. They give some pretty snazzy bonuses, plus the imperialism CB -and- all the good stuff that comes with being a republic or monarchy, respectively.
    Yeah, but don't you basically have to run your country into the ground to get the revolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Marconius View Post
    Yeah, but they are ... a tad difficult to get.

Taking the Revolutionary Forms out of the equation, since they're nigh on impossible to get if you're playing decently, and only available in a limited timeframe, it boils down to a choice of three imo.

Absolute Monarchy: The warmonger Government. You have access to PU's, no slider restrictions, and a nice discipline bonus. But most of all, you have Imperialism.
    Constitutional Monarchy: The prestigious Government. It's easy to look at Const.Monarchy and think it's awful. However, the Prestige Decay reduction is nice, but what is really nice is separation of powers, which is only available when you stay a Constituional Monarchy. Put them together and your Prestige will grow to a higher equilibrium and decay slower above that. Perfect if you're hungry for PU's. No Imperialism however.
    Constitutional Republic: 20% Production Efficiency is a huge bonus. You also get the huge boon of electing leaders every 4 years and never being stuck with a Regency Council, nor having to worry about Legitimacy. On the other hand, you'll miss out on most of the Legitimacy bonuses (minus the +Tolerance ones), and you lack the ability to form PUs. You lack Imperialism, but if you plan the game carefully, Revolution & Counter Revolution often becomes very powerful in the hands of a Republic since most nations stay Monarchies if left to their own.

Honourable Mention: Republican Dictatorship: You're never stuck without a leader, can "elect" them upon death, and get Imperialism. Ofcourse, you trade that safety for missing out on the PU's of Absolute Monarchy.

Personally, I tend to like expanding more slowly, and so am not really fussed on Imperialism. I tend to either just go Con Rep or Con Mon, depending upon whether I want the flavour of a Republic or a Monarchy.

My favourite is administrative monarchy with protestant or reformed religions. I like to play economic powerhouses and the production and trade bonuses really come in handy.

Deus VultDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2500k club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctus View Post
    Yeah, but they are ... a tad difficult to get.
    Why are empires dificult to get? I thought you only had to have 30 provinces?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast