• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(192255)

Kerberos Productions
2 Badges
Jan 23, 2010
www.kerberos-productions.com
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
by Lead Programmer, Darren Grant

Over the last five years–through two expansions, a weapons pack and a tech pack–the graphics engine that fueled the original Sword of the Stars game (MARS) has done everything we asked of it. More than we’d originally intended, really. Sword of the Stars II seemed like the perfect time and opportunity to look back at our previous engine and build the future from the ground up.

Part of the process of designing a new engine architecture is identifying exactly what can be improved over the previous iteration. For MARS2, we took a number of new approaches to accommodate our goals for the sequel: provide the player with the capability for additional immersion and interaction with the universe. Below, I break down the different elements that we’ve added/upgraded in order to bring our full vision of SotS II into existence. It can get a bit technical at times, but I hope you find it enlightening!

Direct 3D 10
For most gamers, the benefits of stepping up to D3D10 is shrouded in mystery. That’s partly because Microsoft’s main goal with this version is mostly to ease the lives of OEMs and developers, by forcing adopters to agree on competent standards. What this means is that, unlike D3D9 (where hardware and drivers delivered a hodge-podge of mixed and matched features for developers to wade through–a compatibility nightmare), D3D10 guarantees a very powerful common baseline that stays the same. For example, as a graphics programmer, I know with near certainty that if the shadow rendering works correctly on my work station, it will behave correctly (albeit at different speeds) on any DX10- or DX11-era hardware and software. There were no such certainties in D3D9, which added to lost development time.

Shader Model 4
One of the more exciting features that D3D10 adopters get is the common Shader Model 4 baseline. A D3D9 game is limited to Shader Model 2.0 on average (which was the shader model target for SotS Prime). Sadly, the lack of basic computing power on the GPUs of that era severely limit the number of features that could be achieved concurrently.

That bottleneck caused us a lot of problems. You want skinned models? OK, the programmer would come back instantly with a solution! Now you want to add 2 dynamic light sources per mesh? Hmm, it’s going to take a day for your programmer to rewrite the shaders to fit both features in the given space available. Now you want shadows? Your programmer grumbles, goes away for a couple weeks and comes back with a rewrite of the renderer that jumps through hoops to solve the problem. Just don’t try to fit more in after that.

One of the things we learned developing SotS Prime is that if you don’t set up the proper tools for the artists initially, our programmers would spend a lot of time attached to the artists, tweaking parameters. And toward the end of a project, when things are getting tight, we’d be forced to drop certain polish features in favor of actually going final. Upgrading our engine let’s us avoid that this time around.

Render stack
Render stacks handle and sort the drawing instructions for each frame and optimize them before they reach Direct3D. There are two major categories of 3D rendering in games: Forward and deferred. Forward rendering is a technique where each pixel is drawn to the screen once, with all of the shading values already accumulated. This can be very efficient in situations where there are very few light sources, and is optimal in genres like FPS, where the world geometry is largely static and can therefore be heavily optimized. It doesn’t work well with dynamic lighting, though, so there’s also deferred rendering, which separates the lighting and material rendering passes, making it optimal for situations with lots of relatively small dynamic light sources.

Our render stack uses a deferred technique to produce some brilliant dynamic lighting and post-process effects, many of which can already be seen in various screenshots and videos. These effects can be tuned based on the class of video card available. For instance, the depth of field blur radius may be reduced, or flat-out disabled based on the player’s preferences of image quality vs. performance. The gamut of effects that can be disabled include full scene shadowing, hundreds of dynamic light sources, decaling, refraction, local ambient occlusion, full HDR bright/bloom and image based ambient lighting.

Particle effects
Including the rich particle effects of the previous game in SotS II is big deal for us. MARS2’s particle-authoring system has been greatly revised to enable integration with material rendering and control of dynamic lighting systems. With material integration, some complex and dramatic new effects are possible, and with control over dynamic lights, the particles can convey a much greater presence as they skirt past the hulls of nearby ships or fade into scorch marks.

Thanks to our deferred rendering system, the engine an handle hundreds of simultaneous light sources. There’s no reason that a particle system can’t be authored to provide a beautiful animated glow that casts light on surrounding geometry in the game. Having direct control over the lighting inside the particle authoring tool gives artists very direct control over the integration of emitted light and the particles they want to draw. In other engines this might have to be done by going to two separate tools, which disrupts work flow.
sots2_MorrigiDread_devdiary02-002.png

Shared material library
Another key component to ensuring our artists’ efficiency is our shared material library, which enables artists to create and change the appearance of multiple models at once. Each material is based on existing shader class, which means that artists do not need to write code or cut and paste parts of cryptic shader trees–with the support of an in-house model viewer, the shared material library lets artists fine-tune the parameters only once and see the effect on all models that use that same resource.

For instance, an artist might create a material called CruiserGlass, which calls for a green-glass shader with all the fancy refractive and reflective trimmings, tailor the colors and light levels, and then share those settings with all of the glass panels in all Tarka cruisers. Without the help of a single programmer or having to tweak the models at all, an artist can change one paramater on the CruiserGlass model and see the changes across all Tarka cruisers in the game simultaneously.

Asset pipeline and multithreading
In order to further reduce load times between major state changes and improve the performance of the game in general, we built a massive asset pipeline. This pipeline combines a new offline build process with an engine-integrated background loader and cache. Most assets are mapped directly from their files by the runtime, and once they’re in the RAM, they stick around unless the cache needs to recover space. This eliminates most of the long loading time problems that can happen when moving between encounters and the star map.

MARS2 had been designed to work with modern multithreaded architecture, which will also greatly help loading times. We’re using a hybrid approach to target the 2-8 core PC’s that are common today, with an eye to 16+ core desktop systems that are promising to emerge. One primary CPU thread does the heavy lifting and secondary threads are assigned to specific support jobs such as loading and processing assets, building render lists, or executing high level game logic. Using this logic, for example, the engine will prepare for an upcoming combat encounter.

Bullet Physics and 64-bit

Another way we’re aiming to make the wide array of weapons and ships feel more alive is by adding Bullet Physics, a superb physics engine that has seen successful application in many major games and movies. It lets us model much more complex collision geometry than in SotS Prime. This greater level of detail goes a long way towards conveying the much larger range of scale in the game.

One of the questions I get asked the most is, “Will Sword of the Stars II ship with native support for 64-bit OS?”. The answer is most assuredly, “Yes!” In fact, we aimed the MARS2 engine to target both 32 and 64-bit builds since the first lines of code went in, a little over a year ago.

I hope this overview of the new game engine answers a lot of the questions people have been asking about SotS2 and maybe even a few that haven’t been asked yet. As we head towards completion of the game in the coming weeks, we’ll get into more of the fine details about the game itself, so stay tuned for our future dev diary entries!
sots2_MorrigiDread_devdiary02-001.png

Last edited:
The graphics are really good so far. That Morrigi Dreadnought looks great both in design and in execution. That small craft also looks cool, if not very Morrigi-like.

Great news on even better physics, too.

Very nice looking, I can tell this is going to be a good, fun, realistic (physics-wise at least) game. :)

Sounds really cool. Could you say anything about how you ended up handling transparency which is usually an issue in deferred renderers? Separate passes with forward rendering, or some more exotic solution?

Totally agree on DX10/11 and higher shader models, while they do enable you to do more complex effects the big advantage is how much less of a headache they are to work with for developers

Very interesting technical details, and it is good to see a new dev diary... the game is indeed looking very good and I am anxious to see more of it.

Actually, I must say the Morrigi Dreadnought looks a bit clunky, but that may be the result of too many colours - or their alliance with the Zuul. I would rather have a cleaner looking, more elegant design, but I understand this is part of the whole concept of the new game. And besides, that's a matter of taste. I personally prefer simpler lines, like the Imperial ships of Star Wars, or at least something more utilitarian, like the Human ships in Babylon 5. The only ships I used to like in SOTS were the Tarka, and maybe the Hiver... but as I played the game the awkward design of the Human ships started to look more and more attractive... and now I like them too.

Love the detailed info, looking better and better!

Is this going to become a regular/weekly developer diary? I can't wait for the SotS sequel and very DD will be read espcially! Also, will this be multi-threaded?

Is this going to become a regular/weekly developer diary? I can't wait for the SotS sequel and very DD will be read espcially! Also, will this be multi-threaded?

Yes it is multi-threaded, says so right in the section on multi-threading. They will use 1 HW and several MW that will spawn LW helper threads. They are shooting at the 2-8 core processors with an eye out for 16+ cores in the future.

I guess this means I'll have to buy *yet another* upgraded video card, or do without a game... Can you give definitive minimum requirements yet?

Yes it is multi-threaded, says so right in the section on multi-threading. They will use 1 HW and several MW that will spawn LW helper threads. They are shooting at the 2-8 core processors with an eye out for 16+ cores in the future.

DOH, yeah, sorry, I read that and just read it as something completely different. Don't konw why, late night reading, lol. Cheers, but 16+?! Is that even on PC markets? I have an AMD Phenom X6 1055T but damn, 16? The other one works like a charm but I think Windows 7 might of ruined it lol.

Just went back and checked, I thought it was still talking about DirectX10/11 and GPUs as opposed to CPU. My bad! Cheers though, also, is it confirmed this will bea regular diary (i.e. every Friday)?

Doubt it will be weekly, probably monthly at best. It would take a lot of effort to do a weekly diary for the next 5 months for such a small development team, this isn't a big developer like EA with 100+ people per project, there are only a couple dozen people and many do double duty as writers/coders/artists/etc.

Sounds really cool. Could you say anything about how you ended up handling transparency which is usually an issue in deferred renderers? Separate passes with forward rendering, or some more exotic solution?

Nothing exotic - seperate passes for forward rendering.

And as for how often, we'll be doing one a month, though the next one is coming up fast. Stay tuned.

Hopefully the next diary with be for gamers and not engineers.

Well, it's a personal preference I guess. Martin's first diary was more gameplay focused. This time, we let the lead engineer talk about his side of things, and those with a technical mind seemed to like it. A lot of people seemd to like it actually. Next up is Chris, our art lead, who will talk about the graphics from an art angle. So stay tuned.