• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You are being much too harsh on yourself, it is a fine update. Some useful gains then and Japan continues to increase her strength. Rangemura may have had nightmares regarding his death at the hand of Range but I rather worry Range will have his work cut out considering how strong Japan is increasingly becoming.

Oh, my friend, you do not know how right you are...because the country Range will use to stop this madness is near to death (around the year of 1552 of this Journey). Range must go back in time to 1552, save that dying country, restore its empire and use them to destroy Mahâkâla's plans.

As for Rangemura, the Japanese military leader knows his days are numbered.

Last edited:
Today, the Journal that bears Matuso Basho’s thoughts is in very poor shape. Years of neglect has taken a toll on the priceless relic. The simple lacing that once held the pages and the cover in place has long since disappeared. The loose pages are now jagged and torn along all sides, and damaged in many other ways. What’s more, sadly certain pages are missing...starting with the next three.

Frankly, if I had not read Matuso’s diary I would not have given the missing pages a second thought due to age of the journal. I however, taking in account what I know I for one believe that Matuso destroyed them.

Of course, you don’t have to take my reasoning as Bible. However, consider this...the three missing pages were from the same entry…a chapter if you will of the journey. Only after reading Matuso’s diary can I explain what took place on the journey. But, what would be the reason for the destruction of these pages?

As I have mentioned previously, Matuso used the diary to record his most secret thoughts, often these secrets were of the knowledge of what was haunting Rangernura, thoughts he felt he could not express in the journal.

Considering what was written within the diary, if what was presented on the missing pages was anywhere near what Matuso wrote in his dairy the shared knowledge would turn this world upside down, or, certainly many of those that read the diary’s entry would believe the master had gone mad.

As for what history making events Matuso wrote about in his diary, allow me the privilege this one time to describe to you what took place. I will attempt to use the same style (a poor attempt) to mirror Matuso’s Journal to present the history.

bezvdd.jpg

wat112.jpg

34pmjhu.jpg

In closing, what could have frightened Matsuo to make him destroy three pages of his prized journal? The answer is simple. The problem stemmed from the fact that what Rangernura shared was so unbelievable Matuso could not allow the pages to stand as a testament of who Rangemura was. As for the reason why he wrote the secrets into the journal in the first place; that remains a mystery.

Rangemura confessed to Matuso he didn’t know where the dreams rose from, or how such an imagination came about. He wasn’t one to make up tales, especially ones that amazed Matuso himself. It seems Rangernura confessed he was a time-traveler, or rather the person in his dreams was.

The time-traveler was named Range... strange that their names were so similar. Range was a time traveler and somehow their lives had become entangled with one another… until they were one in the same.

This Range was quite a character. It seems either he had, or others with him had been blamed for many dark deeds as well as wondrous miracles. To the Mayans Range was a curse…to Ancient Chinese he was a blessing…a blessing that is until he led others back...bringing a plaque with them...the bubonic plague.

Matuso wrote of an interesting comment that was attributed to the Italian writer Boccaccio who wrote victims of the plague often said they, “ate lunch with some of Range’s acquaintances and dinner with their ancestors in paradise.”

Last edited:
Great update! Game wise Japan is expanding well, and is soon going to be a great power not just in Asia.

As for the story, very intriguing! Range appears everywhere!

Great update! Game wise Japan is expanding well, and is soon going to be a great power not just in Asia.

As for the story, very intriguing! Range appears everywhere!

Thank you.
I don't know whether I want Japan to venture too far from their corner of the world. Especially ever since I lost the extra $ for westernizing. I lost that when I westernized my armies. Now, I can build western trained troops, but tech advancement is back to Japanese default. There seems to be some sort of trade off.

As for Range, because of time travel...he's literally everywhere.

most excellent. Japan is strengthened and the plot thickens

You don't know how thankful I am to be able to continue Samurai.

30w4kdc.jpg

2pzejif.jpg

Good but worrying stuff. Worrying that Japan is still expanding so rapidly, now into Manchu. Worrying also that Rangemura seems to have already sensed something of how his death will come about, at he hands of Range. Hopefully his dreams become reality but with this knowledge, he could simply strengthen his position but further and make it nigh on impossible for Range to stop him.

Good but worrying stuff. Worrying that Japan is still expanding so rapidly, now into Manchu. Worrying also that Rangemura seems to have already sensed something of how his death will come about, at he hands of Range. Hopefully his dreams become reality but with this knowledge, he could simply strengthen his position but further and make it nigh on impossible for Range to stop him.

In the end, my friend, good must always triumph over evil...otherwise civilization will crumble into utter chaos. Range will stop Rangemura even if he has to end his days twice. Of course, there will be a sequel.

So he feels the footsteps of his opponent in the deep echo's of time's arrow. Good, that will make him both cautious and perhaps, unable to grapple with the everyday issues that confrtont Japan's rise to greatness, prone to error.

Chances are the threat will only make Rangemura more steadfast to do his duty in making Japan a great nation. Remember, first and foremost, Rangemura is a Samurai and is held to certain traditions.

As for his promise not to advance northward toward Western Europe a question is raised. In Rangemura's mind attacking, or not attacking the Europeans might hinge on his understanding of what qualifies as a threat to Japan.

Last edited:
df80o.jpg

2cxba0w.jpg

wrf97r.jpg

vhgu2b.jpg

2a9b2ma.jpg

Poor Poor is almost a mere memory. There are actually two Frances...France and Rev. France...each only a one-province nation.

17s2ag.jpg

Spectacular progress with Japan! I am impressed that you even have lands in Africa and so deep in China! Austria and Muscovy are certainly doing well, Britain too!

Great story part. His refusal to execute the fallen Samurai gives us great insights into his character! :)

Good to see that even this, I'm struggling to think of the right words, I was considering 'evil version of Range' but that doesn't really work, perhaps Rangemura is best described as misguided. Anyway, good to see that even the misguided Rangemura still retains a great deal of the good and honourable Range within himself, as shown by his dealing with Kumagai. Perhaps there is hope for redemption for him yet.

Regardless, even if misguided in his actions he remains a potent leader, the considerable gains against Manchu testimony to this.

Spectacular progress with Japan! I am impressed that you even have lands in Africa and so deep in China! Austria and Muscovy are certainly doing well, Britain too!

Great story part. His refusal to execute the fallen Samurai gives us great insights into his character! :)

Thank you. I'm having a lot of fun with this AAR. Maybe it's because there's going to be a sequel.

Good to see that even this, I'm struggling to think of the right words, I was considering 'evil version of Range' but that doesn't really work, perhaps Rangemura is best described as misguided. Anyway, good to see that even the misguided Rangemura still retains a great deal of the good and honourable Range within himself, as shown by his dealing with Kumagai. Perhaps there is hope for redemption for him yet.

Regardless, even if misguided in his actions he remains a potent leader, the considerable gains against Manchu testimony to this.

He's not evil...just not like our Range. Something is missing...thus, there can be only be one end for him. He's doing a little too well for the Regents sakes. There's only one that can stop Rangemura...but, has the correct time been selected by the Regents?

423pv.jpg

2edbh54.jpg

rrhw86.jpg

Last edited:
I had to smile at the, 'Hard head,' comment from Range regarding Rangemura; yes, of course he is stubborn and hard headed, he's you!

Good stuff as ever, I like that Japan is continuing her warmonger path and indeed improving her ability to wage war with her slider choices. Colonisation is a good choice as well, Japan is surrounded by possible colonies.

I had to smile at the, 'Hard head,' comment from Range regarding Rangemura; yes, of course he is stubborn and hard headed, he's you!

Good stuff as ever, I like that Japan is continuing her warmonger path and indeed improving her ability to wage war with her slider choices. Colonisation is a good choice as well, Japan is surrounded by possible colonies.

I knew you'd get a kick out me calling me hardheaded. I'm finding playing Japan a lot of fun...about as much fun as I'll have taking Japan apart.

This is great! :D

Range and Rangemura are naturally so alike, yet different too. Very curious!

This is great! :D

Range and Rangemura are naturally so alike, yet different too. Very curious!

I actually like Rangemura...too bad he has to go. There's just one two many Range's.

From his observatory Tomlinson viewed the entire journey unfold on Earth until it was late December 1820 the date on the blue spinning ball. By then on Earth there were three nations that could eventually rule the world. They were, Japan of course, Austria and Russia.

To this point, Japan had basically avoided attacking the new world to the west. Instead, they made Asia there’s. In the new world, Spain had grabbed much of North America... with what was left of England barely holding onto the northern provinces of North America.

As for Spain she is no match against any of the big three. She is destined to fall from the world’s map.

To explain England’s position on the world stage it would be a gross understatement to say their position was dismal. Of their home island provinces, besides London...they don’t exist. Ireland a long-time sovereign nation is down to only their capital province of Connacht. Scotland is a Japanese vassal.

France finds themselves in even a darker position as they are divided into two single providence nations...France, and Rev France.

As for the two major powers of the world, Austria, arm reached across old Europe toward Japan. Russia had taken Northern Europe which included Sweden. The world now braces for the day when two of the super powers would embrace to move against the third major power.

“I’d say we’d,” said Sir Farly, “it seems we should proceed with our plan.”

“The boy’s abrupt and unsanctioned meeting with Rangemura was rather a surprise,” said Tomlinson.

“It can’t easy for the boy.”

Tomlinson drew a deep breath before sadly stating, “My friend...it’s not easy for any of us. But, it’s something that must be done.”

It was on the field of battle in Ireland, in the year of 1821, that a bullet and not an arrow from a young Range cuts down Rangemura. To the surprise of Tomlinson and Sir Farly someone soon takes over for the fallen Rangemura only a few moments after his demise.

“Mahakala!” Sir Farly exclaimed with surprise.

“So, that where the rascal has gone,” grumbled Tomlinson.

“Earth,” said Sir Farly. “But, what does this mean to the timeline?

“I’m afraid to find out,” said Tomlinson.

To find out just what has happened in our world, go to Transylvania…the final post of that AAR.

As for this ARR, Samurai…it’s not over…the year is only 1564 on our stage of time. Range still has to carve out a great Japan before he arrives on the battlefield of 1821.