• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No rest for the wicked!

So the never ending war with Milan continued, the Iroquois had made peace with Ireland for some gains and their lands now stretched from Canada to the midwest:

1607map.jpg

With a little investigation the war leaders found that could offer the Milianesse a stab hitting peace! So the enemy was knocked down a long way but would still not agree even to a white peace.

War stats as the Iroquois ground their teeth and conceeded defeat in October 1607:

160710endowar.jpg

Spain was engaged in a long war with Burgundy and it was hoped that some peace would allow the republic to take stock and attack the biggest fish in the pond.

Two months of peace is not enough to remove 10 years of WE.

160712portugaldow1607.jpg

Curiously the Portugesse had no transports: they would be forced to fight this war with locally raised armies and manpower. To take advantage of this the Iroquois armies split down into small 1cav 2 infantry columns and swept the small but numerous Portugesse units into the sea!

Not to miss out on getting hit hard the Irish DOW in April 1610:

161004iredow1610.jpg

Again no Transports!!! The AI had gone madder than a made thing. The 'vacate Arcadia' trick brought what the Irish called an army out of their islands to be destoryed in short order. Pretty shortly all Irish property in the New World was occupied but as usual no chance of even a white peace, and no more armies to kill.

In November that year it was election time, the Military Candidate was available for re-election:
161011election.jpg

But anticipating gains from portugal a diplomatic candidate was selected, hoping that his Military skill wouldn't be too low...
161011elextionresult.jpg

Doh!

By Jan 1613 the Irish had been throughly smacked about and remained occupied, their ship yards turning out light ships rather than transports.

161301irishprovs1613.jpg

Time for peace with Portugal;

161301peace1613port.jpg

The new midwest close up:

161301midwestatpeace.jpg

Portugal had ceeded Cumberland, which they had snatched at the start of the war, pennyrile, Cherokee, Cherpaw. Manaoac and Cahokia had been siezed as colonies with around 900 pop.

The decision for peace was taken mainly due to fear of Spain, she had ended her war, and stations a 9/6/2 army in Santee and 9/6/1 in Powhatan. Cherokee and Cherpaw were selected for the opportunities thier mountainous terrain would offer in fighting Spain. More could have been gained from Portugal as the Iroquois had arrived in Mexico and the old Aztec lands and were happily blasing holes in the Portugesse foritifcations.

Fear of Spain dicated that those armies come home.

Forts were improved in Cumberland, Pennacook and Cherpaw, with a final colonist now sent to Monacan to convert religeion and culture. It was almost certainly a mistake to hold off fortifications in Cherokee but the money would be saved for use on Monacan after it had become a city.

Ireland continued to fight, or rather colonise, and as quickly as she threw up colonies in Chipewyan, Swampy Cree and nunavik, they were taken from her.

After this the Iroquois should have remembered the lessons learnt from other long wars with little chance of a positive peace... Finish them quickly, but she could not bring her self to conceed defeat...

Pity because sooner than feared:

161306spaindowjune1613.jpg

Wonders never cease! Has a vortex come down from the sky and run off with all the AI's transports! only 7! A swift victory against her armies in place and Spain should be easy to continue to defeat as her armies arrive 7 at a time.

Six months of fighting had seen some interesting developments, Spains two large stacks had come forward, one into level 1 Cherokee and another in Cumberland which was still only level 1 but had scorched the earth before they could arrive.

Many of the Irouquois armies had not yet arrived home from Central America and so unfortified Monacan fell to the Spainards, who immediately confiscated it for the error of being ruled by non-christians.

6 months into the war and things were looking up. The Army tradition afford by killing so many portugesse and Milianese leaves the Iroquois with the best generals in the world:

161401generals.jpg

Here's the top guy up close.
161401mywargod.jpg

Things looked bad at this stage. Rebels had sprung up and had besieged Kentucky while the Spainish besieged level 1 forts in Cumberland, Cherokee and Eire. In some brilliant moves the Iroquois turned the situation partially around.

161401spainishwar6monthson.jpg

From Cherpaw the war god moved on Monacan routing the 3000 infantry, who were lucky to escape and ran to Cumberland. Hiawatha moved to overtake them in Cumberland hopign also to defeat the forces already there. Just the rumour of his coming was enough and the siege was lifted despite being at 100%!! The level 2 upgrade completed a few days later and Cumberland was safe. However Cherokee had fallen and the large stack marched on Monacan. Hiawatha turned again and arrived in place to defend the province. He defeated the enemy and ran them down as they retreated first to Cumberland, then on to Cherokee, before being overtaken again and destroyed in Manacan!

The Spanish colonies of Kanawha and Monahoac had been burnt and this column joined up with another army to destroy the Spainsh besieging Erie before then turning on the less troublesome Rebels in Kentucky.

With Spain in the war Ireland was no longer happy with a conceeded defeat victory and land 1 army in Taqamkuk.

The need for a larger fleet was easily apparent.

By September 1614 the situation was thus;

161409thenorth.jpg

With litte real options for hitting the Irish there is litte I can do, sugestions are welcome!

This next map shows the Spainish theatre. It shows the numbers and movements of Spain's forces which are visable. 15/7/1 ouch! Well the 7 supply limit in Monacan should hurt and I'm ready to scorch the land in Cumberland (army here is 4/8/1) and Cherokee (if I take it in time. Cherpaw was scorched once already so hopefully still is. The Army in Covoy is a 4/8 and well led, it should be able to kill the 3/2 army that will be left when the huge stack has left.

Cherokee is about to fall and is besieged by a 2/3/2 army lead by a good general.

My War God fell off his horse killing the end of a stack in Cumberland.

161409spainish.jpg

I need to make a slider choice:

161409sliders.jpg

Any suggestions? I'm at a bit of a loss here, I'm thinking of moveing towards navy, but don't want to lost the manpower! however ship's are very expensive right now!

Wowzers, what a start for this AAR! Definitely subscribing!

As for navy...eh. I wouldn't worry about it...now.

Wowzers, what a start for this AAR! Definitely subscribing!

As for navy...eh. I wouldn't worry about it...now.

Welcome!

The problem is what do I do with my sliders? My manpower is still so low when having to fight people like Spain and Burdungy, but I don't want to drop my morale anyfurther.

Moving all the way to narrowminded 1 to get a missionary every five years seems a lot of work but i could use the we bonus and I do have alot (and will have more) of Christians to deal with, thoughfour out of 8 catholic provs should lose nationalism in the next 10 years or so...

Next tech opens an NI slot.. I was thinking the Tolerance of Heathens one to make my revolt risk a little better? Or something to boost my income...

Inflation is at 5% now but is holding with 3 level 5 Masters of the mint!

This is a learning AAR so please advise as much as you like!

We fight it is what we do!

DISCLAIMER: I took more screenies than this, but they were not in my folder! hmm must check if there is a vista bug thingy. I'm playing on my Vista laptop...

The war continues...

The Iroquois decided to make use of the one attribute their elected leader could do, diplomacy and granted military access to Scotland. As we now share a border up north this should make a dow a litte harder, with either a 5 stab hit or warning me by cancelling. I have not forgotten that I have mil access through Scottland at some point I hope to use them as a staging post to invade Ireland... They have seriously annoyed me!

With the doomstack 15/7/1 (ok, ok mini doom stack) moving on Cherokee I decided to lift the siege, the troops ordered out to Cumberland and a detachment sent with my manouver 6 general to scorch the earth in Cheraw.

Other forces drive south into Powhaten and Kwedech finishes it's level one fort and starts on level two.

The doomstack responded to the lifting of seige on Cherokee and turned to attack Cheraw.. where lovely attritian awaits.

My Siege stack returns to Cherokee and breach the walls, the main stack moved south to assist in an assult. I want this prov back!

The 365 defenders all died very quickly!

At this point the Spainish Doomstack quit their siege and run to Portugal!!

161501doomstack.jpg

My two armies join under my fastest general into a nearly unscathed 6/12/3 and race to Cheraw due to arrive one day before the damaged 13/7/1 (actuall strength = 8/4/0.5) can escape to Portugesse lands.

Burgundy finally does something and lands 1000 infantry in Arcadia, a 1/2/0 column moves to intercept from Mimmac.

The Doomstack was caught and defeated, they retreat too....

CHEROKEE!!! Another opportunity to destroy them! The Army races to overtake them!

The 1/2/0 Column at Moose Cree moves to take advantage of our access through scotland, they move to burn out Burgundy's colonies.

The Doomstack is ALMOST anhilated in Cherokee, just 213 Artillery men survive, and they are running to Portugal.. annoyingly all 21 regiments are still in existence!

161503runingtoportugal.jpg

Come back you cowards!!!

Once they were safely across the border they started to reinforce and move towards Muskogee... Lets race to meet them in Santee.

My 4/8/0 south to greet the retreating 'should be dead' doomstack. Spain lands a 1/1/3 in Powhatan and raise the siege my 1/2/0 retreating north to Convoy. At the same time 1/5/0 Castilian Patriots revolt in Delaware... grrrrr...
and 2 infantry regiments rise up in revolt in Kespek..

[SO SORRY not enough maps... they screenshots had vanished! :(]

Ireland offer a white peace, just as my army put down the Rebels and Burgundy land a 3/2/0 army in Arcadia. Peace would mean no walking there and the loss of the province, so it had to be rejected. Labrador was burnt again but Burgundy had a 3/1/2 in Innu so we retreat back to our own lands in Nunavik.

The final dribs and drabs in Spainish America are destoryed and the Sieges compelte uneventfully...

161612.jpg

If only I could Annex them as they can me!!!

At this stage I notice that Austria and France have declared war on Spain!! HURRAH!

Pondering how else to hurt the Spainish I send my 4/0/0/3 fleet to look into Notre Dame. On the way they Sink 3 Burgundian Transports, leaving them with one and Ireland's only transport! Sadly a 1/2/1/0 Spainish Fleet catches them on the way home and they run to Arcadia!!! Which is blockaded by a 2/2/0/0 Spainish fleet and 1/2/0/0 Irish fleet... any naval shinanyigans are probably over until attritian brings those enemy fleets to port.

Burgundy ask for peace, allowing me to buy them out;
161701.jpg

I've not yet responded but i'm disinclinded to part with so much, sadly they will not accept a CD peace.

Here is the status of the Spainish war:

Current;
161701spainishwar.jpg

At Start:
161306spaindowjune1613.jpg

They have lost alot, and much of it was actually me!! Even more when you considered that they must have been building during this time. I wonder what will happen once their armies clash with Austria's??

When their fleets get tired of blockadign me, which they must as they have no friendly ports near by, the war score jumps to 34% so close to a stab hit peace... I must hfind some way to hur them!!

You may have noticed that I have an Idea slot open!

I need help with what to pick!

Land of opportunity for a 20% col growth I have 4 unfinished colonies and expect to sieze or sow more! This could help as they are so expensive!
Grand Army for a 33% force limit raise!! ;)
Humanist tolerance +2 Tolerance for Heathens, so the Catholics under my rule don't get too upset?
Or Bill of rights to help all revolt risk a little?

I have worked out that in the last 50 years the Iroquois have known peace for all of 3 yers and 9 months.... WE never seems to get very low before I have to fight someone hard!

All told any advice would be greatly recieved!

[I'd better start playing on my win 7 machine huh to avoid the screenshots thing? or just use steam to take them?]

I would take Land of Opportunity. You need to grow now, in order to keep your war machine running!
But I think anything that helps your income would be welcome.

LoO for the NI

Slider, well I ran out of diplomats so maybe you should think about going Aristo LOL

To get more peace you need to reduce the number of neighbours you have!

Yeah I know... but it is so hard to get the provenices from them when I can't hit them at home... Soon my fleet will be able to do something to help with Ireland. I may risk it and take Labrador and innu colonising them, relying on Scotland for access. That should get burgundy off my back for a while. Ireland has too many cities to be easily knocked out until I can land in the home islands.. then I can throw them out of North America...

I'll focus on territory in peace agreements, from now on. :D

As for France I've no idea how to get her, I can take her armies and the provenices, but getting her to give them up?? sigh...

Slow and steady.. and grow inland I guess...

LoO for sure! Slider's towards aristo, hmm... yeah a little more diplo's would help, just under 3 a year is a bit slow!

Fleet building is so slow with only two coastal cores!

To do a bad bad thing?

The nations next move was to embrace Land of Opportunity to increase colonial growth and moved the silder to fully funded.

Colonists were sent to Chipewyan to change the culture and religeon and to Labrador to help squeeze out the Europeans.

Looking at my disasterous WE (about 10.5) I conceeded defeat to Burgundy, just not quite able to project enough power into Innu, while holding down revolts and Irish invasions.

Spain is busy in her war with Austria. A diplomat takes a gift to Scotland to try to keep them out of this mess.

Soon some good comes of the new policies:

161101colself.jpg

Scotland comes in anyway; I'd welcome this if my WE wasn't huge and getting higher.

161802scotdow.jpg

Investments in Level 2 forts continue and in Courthouses, desperate to try to control revolt risk.

War Exhaustion is climbing because I'm using the 'Vacate Arcadia' method of killing Ireland's armys. My fleet is not strong enough for any opperations with 4 big ships and 3 transports they can make a single enemy squardon, but they have many and I have one. Also I fear that without some light ships in there, the fleet is vulnerable.

Is there a combined arms rules for Navies as well as armies? Or can i buold all big ships, ateleast until I have some parity with the smaller players. Being able to only build 2 ships at once I fell like I should get the big hitters out first. One more Navy tech and I get Galleons. I guess that would be a reason for building light ships huh? they have longer to run before obselencance.

I'm checking Spain for Stab hit peaces and find I can send a couple, then I go to send the third and I do not get the option. However, for the first time it says Spain would accept the peace instead.

161808firstspainishpeaceoffer.jpg

I'm excited. If I took this Spain would be down to one province landlocked prov and my infamy would be through the roof! However, I've no idea how I'd ever get that province from her. I know I can hit portugal in Central America if March there in small bits.. but North Africa? Not for a long while.

However, I notice that Spain's ships are heading home for repairs so the war score should rise a little more in a couple of months, lets wait.

161810peceoff.jpg

OMG! I can kick Spain wholesale out of North America (apart from Beothik in the north) Certainly I'd have no land borders!!! WAHOOO 27 infamy? er ok lets think about this a bit...

This will give everyone the Dishonourable Scum CB. Well Portugal has a CB anyway, I hold some of her cores. Spain will too, Ireland does for Kespek. Burgundy still has a border so they would still be up for a fight, as sadly is scotlland. I think Scandinavia still had the Colonial Conquest cb on me as do a number of people... What's there to lose? Please Advise me here... my trade will die but I can hold on in Mohawk after all with everyone on dishonourable scum cb what is a few trade disputes here and there?

This would get even worse if I settle with Ireland for Mimmac.. which I want to do asap, after all it connects up Arcadia. But then infamy would be around 37 on a limit of 19! Reduceing at 0.71 a year! Better open the Japan Cot which just got discovered before everyone hates me!

The young war with Scotland looks like this: blockades giving all their score. Their one city is under siege! I'd like to take it but WE is so high, once I have it I may simply CD out if Scotland will let me.

161810scotwar.jpg

The Old war with Ireland is looking much better. I could CD out, but I want Mimmac and am sure just 1 or two percent more and she'll give it up especially is Spain backs out the war.

161810irishwar.jpg

So then I need your input!!!

Do I take the big deal and throw Spain out almost wholesale?

Am I going to get crazy DOW's from everyone over the infamy if I do? My fleet is still in it's infancy, any wars would have to be won on land.

If I do take the infamy, should I ditch my lvl 5 mint masters, let inflation rise (currently at 5.4%) and employ diplomats to reduce the infamy asap? or maybe diplomats and one foreign advisor to incease the diplo skill and thus the limit?

Or do I take a more modest peace, with more money? Say Cherokee, Monacan, susquenhanna, lenape, delaware and lots more cash? This would put me on my infamy limit(ish) or just over it by 1.

This is such an opportunity though, to really hurt Spain and pick up soem very developed provenices!

Everybody gaining the dishonorable scum CB against you is meaningless as every nation already has the colonial conquest one ...
the thing to look for is the really nasty events that pop up when you have too much BB
I don't know your naval forcelimit , but i'd say to take press gangs and build a strong navy so they won't be able to increase WE with their blockades ...

Everybody gaining the dishonorable scum CB against you is meaningless as every nation already has the colonial conquest one ...
the thing to look for is the really nasty events that pop up when you have too much BB
I don't know your naval forcelimit , but i'd say to take press gangs and build a strong navy so they won't be able to increase WE with their blockades ...

What do you think about droping minters, and colonial maintance to half (using LoO to grow colonies) for Diplomats to reduce the BB fast. with 100 prestiege and no claims I can burn some with magistrates for 10 culture. Doing this I can replace my level 5 minters one every 2 years with level 5 diplomats. if I fund colonial maintance until I can't afford it I should get closer to being done)

The fleet.. well my force limits are 21 ships and I have 7. With WE at 11 it is taking almost 1000 days to build a caravel, and 800 to build the LS. Oh and I only have 2 cored costal provenices! A navy is a long way off! Wish you could hire Privateers like you can mercs rather than pirates! In fact my fleet is so small even in peace I'm going to have a pirate problem..

What are the really nasty event for the BB? How nasty is really nasty? Maybe I should do a little testing?

the events depends on your version , but in DW there are stab hits , increases of WE , prestige hits , inflation hits , merchants or advisors quitting , etc

I think you can forget about a navy for now , but you should elect an administrative candidate and hope for a high score there .

if you can squeeze a lot of money from Castille and/or other europeans , you could consider hiring diplomats (or one in DW)

the events depends on your version , but in DW there are stab hits , increases of WE , prestige hits , inflation hits , merchants or advisors quitting , etc

I'm running HTTT do you know if there is a specific events file for them so I can check? Or I could 'have fun' learning the hard way lol!

I'd take the kick-Spain-out-of-America peace deal (you could even try to get Beothuk, if that's possible), but I don't play HttT so I don't know the effects of high infamy.
And if you decide to learn the hard way, well, at least we readers will have fun :D

Last edited:
You're going to suffer high infamy until you have kicked the europeans out of the americas. With the Spanish fleet going back to Europe, your fleet oughtto be able to smash that 1/2 Irish fleet. I'd be looking to get troops to Beothuk to clear out the Spaniard completely. I suspect the Irish will send their 4000 to try to liberate their provinces. I'd be trying to get troops to Ireland. After that, try your luck in Scotland.

The only power with a border which hasn't fought you is France. They will. Better try to to ally with someone who can keep their troops at home. Diplomats to burn off the BB is probably the best route

My view (and I don't know HttT) is boot Spain off the continent - you will have no peace until you have no land borders so keep going until it's just Portugal in Central America.

The BB will pass fairly quickly...

So what to do...

OK so lets have a quick review...

firstly lets look at France and to start with lets recap with a quick glance at the old world:

161810europe.jpg

France is not what most people expect her to be and in the new world she looks odd too.

161810frenchcolonies.jpg

Both Territories have been colonies for decades! I mean as far back as the 1570's for sure... and that is a big stack 5/12/1 but it's about the supply limit and so draining constantly, also the colonial maintance is set low... France is not ready to fight and I think it's because no matter what she does, surrounded bur Burgundy, Britain and Millian she can't move enough to the New World to want to run the risk. Plus as yet i don't have a border with her... that prov has remained un colonised for a reason.

Now to Spain and the issue with grabbing Beothuk

161810irishfleets.jpg

Each of those Irish fleets is a 2/2/0/0 with exception of the one furtherest south 1/3/0/0 and the ones in port (one is her transports the other 2/4/0/0 i think)

My fleet is holed up in Arcadia, is 4/0/0/3.. :( maybe big enough to take a 2/2 but not with Scotlands 0/4/0/0 to help.

To get a chance to get at Beothunk will take enough time to get Ireland or scotland or both into peace...by that time Spain could have settled with Austria!!

i believe there are both Stab hits (but i think these are only if your stab is already high > 1) and War Exhastion hits (troops desert; lose 1000 manpower and +1 WE) for high infamy. As well as the Patriotic sentiment, giving +15RR to a province..

Not sure if that is the worst it can get.

I think Judges (-0.5 RR per level) may be required instead of diplomats!!!

The stab hits you got from high BB will take you all way down to -3 if your get enough of them
the manpower is tied to the size of your pool , but NA countries don't get that much

This is the killer BB event:

Code:
country_event = {

id =  749
	trigger = {
		stability = -2
		badboy = 1.25
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 50
		modifier = {
			factor = 5.0
			luck = yes
		}		
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.25
			badboy = 2.0
		}		
	}

title = "EVTNAME749"
	desc = "EVTDESC749"

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA749"
		stability = -1
	}

If i've read this right you have MTTH of 50 months, unless you are twice your badboy limit in which case it is down to 10 Months. If you are lucky it goes up to 250 months? otherwise Unless you are less than -2 stability you get a -1... ok so if you can't make a stab increase in 2.5 years going over 125% of you BB is a very very bad idea...

Code:
# a few evil if you are a big badboy.
country_event = {

id =  748
	trigger = {
		war = yes
		badboy = 1.25
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 50
		modifier = {
			factor = 5.0
			luck = yes
		}		
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.25
			badboy = 2.0
		}		
	}

title = "EVTNAME748"
	desc = "EVTDESC748"

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA748"
		war_exhaustion = 1
		manpower = -0.05

That one isn't much nicer either.. same MTTH.

So I will need to get back to 18 22.5 asap. and must avoid being over 36 at all costs....

I already have 6.6 which will take me to 33.6

Anyone understand these events better? does the Badboy tag = proportion of limit (1.25 or 2 being 125% or 200%) and does it include the changes for diplomatic skill or does it work on the normal rate?

You'll see why I ask in my next write up. It's kinda important....

GUlP...