• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice monetary gain from Spain. Can't see the rationale behind building coastal fortifications. The dominance of your fleet means no-one is going to land on them in the first place.

If you can make Ireland your vassal, do so. Depends how much money they have that you wouldn't get. Having cores matters come yearly tax census time. You lose 90% of it in your non-cored provinces.

You could take mainland Portugal.

Ohhh.. That feels so good. :D

But you will only take provinces from one of them i guess so you could take all the money from the other. Now you actually don't want them to get a high WE. A high WE for Portugal will result in that it takes longer time for them to recover and declare war on you again. You want many and small wars to manage your BB better. :)

Or... Are you close to revolution and counter revolution idea? With that you get a 2 BB/province CB. That way you will have full control of when the war starts and ends. :)

I need to check I'm at gov 31.... not sure what is needed for the revolutionary cb, as for WE Portugal keeps dowing when she has NO troops that can fight me so her WE shouldnt' be too high, however she keeps a 2030- regiment stack in a single province in africa at all times... not much I can do about that... I don't feel like killing half my army to reduce her WE!

Ireland does the same. that 8/8/something stack was sat in a prov which didn't quite supply it. They never split them up even in peace time.

Nice monetary gain from Spain. Can't see the rationale behind building coastal fortifications. The dominance of your fleet means no-one is going to land on them in the first place.

If you can make Ireland your vassal, do so. Depends how much money they have that you wouldn't get. Having cores matters come yearly tax census time. You lose 90% of it in your non-cored provinces.

You could take mainland Portugal.

Vassal age requires a 132% warscore... but I could force her to release some Irish nation and take a couple of provs, then she'd be small enough to Vassalise next time.

Mainland Portugal would give me a land border with mainland Spain. I'm not sure I could get enough troops over there fast enough to handle that...

Ireland has about 1000 ducats and portugal about 4k...

You'd have 5 years to get troops over there. You'd be next to 2 CoTs for your merchants to exploit. Portugal's capital would probably shift to North Africa and they'd put lots of troops in Lisbon. Spain would probably put half its army into Andalucia just sit there to hold it. Get an alliance with Burgundy and use your Scandinavian allies, next war with Spain.

I think 2 more wrong religion,wrong culture provinces aren't worth having and that it is worth holding development of 13 other colonies, soon to be 15 for a decade and half. If the Spanish DoW in the meantime and retake those colonies, you can always burn them. The only way to speed things up would be to move your national focus down there.

You'll take a couple of Irish provinces, force release some states and their money. From Portugal, their money. Not as exciting as taking a foothold in Europe.

Well it's tough isn't it? My aim is to have the Americas by game end, but this aim is getting dull, there isn't really anyone that can stop me, it is simply about waiting for the bb to let to take more provs.

Spain split all her trade up into about 4 Iberian CoTs so Andlucia may not be as lucrative as you'd think. Though I'm thinking about taking Portugal. I'd have only a few years to reinforce it, but level 4 forts would be fun even if all I did was scorch them, Spain would hurt sieging them!

As to the forever waiting on colonies, yeah maybe it would be worth it, however, while I was waiting portugal kept landing 1 regiment on teh west coast that would run about taking the 8 odd colonies up there, sometimes I do things because I get annoyed, but I want those colonies finished.

Agree that I can't see the point of Coastal forts - another war fleet for home waters would be more fun. If you want the Americas then European Portugal and Ireland are a distraction.

Sprites is right about the late game - it can get boring if you don't have an objective and a challenge.

Agree that I can't see the point of Coastal forts - another war fleet for home waters would be more fun. If you want the Americas then European Portugal and Ireland are a distraction.

Sprites is right about the late game - it can get boring if you don't have an objective and a challenge.

Yep it can, I don't really want the game to dissolve into repeated dull wars to 'liberate' American provinces, but it was always going to have to I guess. Those big bad boy events are very annoying.

Coastal forts are all level 3 now, I wont be doing that again. I simply felt that the level twos could be overrun (if the AI got it's act together which I guess we know it wont) too easily and then they can seize it making peace negs more awkward and even giving me bb for my own prov!

I think another fleet may come up anyway... ;)

While I'm on 100% defensive??

Better question would be "From a naval assault?". :D

But I don't think defensive have anything to do with how easy it is to assault, only siege. I could be wrong though..

In my Cherokee game I was satisfied with level 2 on the coastline, I only built more on some islands and in mainland Europe when I landed there. :)

And as a general tip. Stay with your goal, if you divert you could very well lose interrest even sooner. I say go for America first and after that it will feel like heaven to take on GB and Ireland on their home turf. :)

Well I'l have another update soon, but we have a problem... I'm currently in 1723 and I have about 95 provinces to capture in just under 100 years! Revolution/counter-revolution is gov tech 53... I'm on 31... it ain't happening...

I also think I may have to reverse my plans, I had been moving more narrowminded to gain missionaries, but I may quit that for faster tech....

Any advice on how to manage BB better? Cabinet will help obviously but any others? Any buildings that can help?

I usually go innovative but not to far, plus the NI that gives missionaries. Are there any decisions to get more missionaries for pagans?

I usually go innovative but not to far, plus the NI that gives missionaries. Are there any decisions to get more missionaries for pagans?

Nope, no decisions that will let me get more missionaries! I wish I could have converted! Part of me thinks I should have invested in some missionaries in catholic territory and let them force convert me. If they take over enough of the nation dont they force me to change state reli too?

I've just dumped LoO NI for Cabinet, and am thinking of droping shrewed Commcercial practices for the +.5 missionaries one!

There is no way to convert outside of the religious group.

But one way to increase tech speed would be to take all those money you are throwing away on über-forts, new shiny ships and bribes and build manufactories for them instead. You could have a huge amount of them and they would skyrocket your research. A bit late now but maybe not too late. :) You have 3 diplomats now I guess?

LoO? Isn't that one of your most important ones? You have a lot of colonies..

Even if you can change out of pagan, you would have to walk over my dead body first :p
Isn't the fun of playing a Native American Tribe besides kicking pale butt is converting pale butt? ;)

Colonial Ventures>Land of Opportunity in my opinion, to develop is better than to land grab

There is no way to convert outside of the religious group.

But one way to increase tech speed would be to take all those money you are throwing away on über-forts, new shiny ships and bribes and build manufactories for them instead. You could have a huge amount of them and they would skyrocket your research. A bit late now but maybe not too late. :) You have 3 diplomats now I guess?

LoO? Isn't that one of your most important ones? You have a lot of colonies..

I have enough income that colonies wont kill me! especially with all the tax assessors... but my income will drop horribly if I drop the +10% compete chance...

The Iroquois taking over Europe... I love it!

Speaking of which, do you aim for pan-European conquest?

Well I'm playing HTTT which means if I don't keep my BB within reasonable limits I get hit with some very nasty events, dropping stab, increasing war exhaustion and adding like +15 revolt risk to random provinces. So I decided a more modest goal was more likely, though I'd love a pan Europe conquest. If not for those events I think I'd have European territory already.

I'm trying to take the whole of the americas but as I can only take 3 or 4 provs for every war.. it's a bit tough.

The End of an Era

Theyonaguin debated with the other council members long and hard. A slightly different approach was need. So far the Republic had grasped as much territory as her reputation would allow at the end of each war. Theyonaaguin wanted to reduce this to allow the natives to keep enough reputation that the world may accept any new claims that came to light.

They also discussed which provinces they would take and decided against victimising any one enemy exclusively. They would simply take the richest American provinces they could. A short survey later and it was found that they wanted 3 provinces from Portugal and one from Ireland.

Peace with Ireland was signed first:

17180716peacewithireland.jpg

The Republic cleaned out the whole of the Irish treasury, while also gaining the province in question. Theyonaguin was not ready to let the Irish off so easily and forced them to release Tyrone. Expecting a two province minor, the aged man was shocked to see the result of his diplomacy.

17180717ertyrone.jpg

The money was immediately invested in more tax assessors. The nations ability to deal with inflation now resulted in much resilient economy. While waiting for the right moment to make peace with Portugal the old man again convinced the world of valid Iroquois claims.

17180814boundryinca.jpg

Theyonaguin was now so aged and had ruled for so long that the ordinary people started to fear that their beloved Republic had fallen into becoming a Monarchy. Concerned and disillusioned they demonstrated their cares.

17181027ernasty.jpg

Theyonaguin, old and shocked at this new occurrence decreed that he would soon stand down, once the final negotiations with Portugal were complete he would make way for new blood. This pacified the protesters somewhat, but also had the whole nation concerned as they younger men jockied for position.

With country destablised and the old man now anxious to retire the peace negotiations with Portugal were completed a little earlier than planed.

17181111portugalpeace.jpg

Portugal's 3 richest American provinces, and a province on which Theyonaguin had establish claims where transfered. A large sum of reparations where passed to the Republic also.

In anticipation of changing some of the nations main policy principles some of this money was invested in temples throughout the land. As promised the old leader retired. The celebrations to honour him lasted many many days and the nation rejoiced in his amazing longevity and career. Once retired he was never seen or heard of again. The new Doge rose up and once all the electioneering spin and prattle had died down the nation realised that a golden age had passed with Theyonaguinn.

17190425newdoge.jpg

The effects of this new Doges lack of skills in Administration was almost immediate, the lines of communication through the nation, the manner by which the Doge's authority was exercised were too much for the new ruler. Petty officals started to take bribes and the whole system became strained under such a burden of administration.

17190506overextension.jpg

However, some of the old policies were still working and slowly the Christian fools were being converted to the Old Religion.

17191112convertmuskogee.jpg

At this point the nation had recovered completely from the effects of those liberal protests. The new Doge drew the council together and they argued long and exhaustively, eventually he won out. Colonial growth was no long such a priority as it once was. The Republic, the richest nation on earth, could afford to be more leisurely in the growth of her colonies. However, the new Doge, tried to circumvent is own incompetence by establishing an Cabinet of Ministers to advise him. The nation was shocked and again disquieting talk was heard in many drinking holes.

Yet another spy turned up, there had been several over the years, the ones caught were always the same, always from the Incans. Something had to be done.

17210111incaisveryannoying.jpg

To distract the nation from her internal upheaval the republic went to war to claim the last territory the Theyonaguin had established as being rightfully belonging to the Iroquois. However as the war progressed it became apparent that the Cabinet did more than appease internal critics and this enabled the Republic to slowly annex the whole Incan nation. The diplomats had checked that she still had no money to be exhorted, her independence had fulfilled its purpose.

Another distraction was completed as a new colony grew into a bustling city. Finally the Iroquois had somewhere to go for their holidays, their vacations and a new industry was born!

17210401somehwereforourholidays.jpg

At the next election another Doge wont he fight, also coming from the school of diplomacy this one was even better with his silver tongue but terrible at all other aspects of his job.

17230426evenworsedogekinda.jpg

The effect was immediate as the government blundered further, the overextension crisis deepened. Even the Cabinet could not help relieve these problems.

17230825governmentalincompetence.jpg

The Republic felt that is had lost its way without Theyonaguin. The debates in all the talking shops revolved around how to balance the diplomatic needs of the Republic with her Administrative ones...