• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not your culture group.

Neat maneouvre to push out the Spanish. GB looks as if it will DoW you. Your armies are in the right theatre and you haven't taken land off the Portuguese gives you infamy to take GB provinces in South America. Doing so would extend the war against Portugal. Perhaps the DIP 9 will discover more old documents proving Iroquios rule over other provinces.

Not your culture group.

Neat maneouvre to push out the Spanish. GB looks as if it will DoW you. Your armies are in the right theatre and you haven't taken land off the Portuguese gives you infamy to take GB provinces in South America. Doing so would extend the war against Portugal. Perhaps the DIP 9 will discover more old documents proving Iroquios rule over other provinces.

Extend the war for decades? no reason nottoo i guess....

This Portuguese peace business; get on with it! ;)

At least stab hit them down and take the gold provinces.

A long awaited peace.

The Nation rejoiced over the news that the Spainish had been defeated! Many looked towards peace and hoped the delegates continuing to try to find a solution to the Portugesse war. While final negotiations continued the council rushed to get settlers off to the Andes, before the overland route, via Mexico would be closed.

Guaquhill's Castilian community was joined by Shamanist Iroquois who quickly took over, and Quijos was settled.

Peace was finally arranged with the Portugesse:

16800401portpeace.jpg

The Iroquois gained the most valuable provinces, containing the old Aztec gold mines, she also took Tenesse, Alabama and Catawba in the north. These were the Iberians richest provenices in SE USA. The peace came with 5000 ducats and the revocation of Portugesse cores.

The council met to discuss ow to spendthe money. Fortification would immediately take place on all new territories. Those bordering Great Britain would be built up to the largest the Nation can. Other vital provenices would be too; Lima for its strategic importance, along with Mexico and Haustec for their gold mines.

Coastal provs would then follow starting with the Catholic provs as the forts would aid fututre missionary work.

Workshops and Market places would follow. The council could still not decide what would follow them, courthouses, temples or Custom houses.

To celebrate our great victories a Fine arts Academy was ordered to be built this would help protect the Republic's culture from the effects of war.

The council set the executive a mission of fortifying Haustec as an acknoledgement of govrnment policy.

Election time came round once more and Theyanoguin Oquaga held off all comers; being so popular after his victories!

16800809election.jpg

Just one month of peace before a new foe stepped up to the plate:

16800906auswardow.jpg

Spies were sent to Wein to infiltrate the enemy and they were immediately effective. The navy followed this good start up, in the atlantic, where they soon caught some of the Austrian transports.

16801112austtransports.jpg

Whille the enemy Galleys rushed to take revenge, the diplomatic work with Burgundy bore fruit and she gave the Republic military access, giveing the navy ports fromwhich to opperate a Blockade.

News of this only intesiied the population of Mexico who's patriotic sentiment rose enormously.

A new Master of the mint (lvl5) was also appointed replacing the encumbant and making the Republic deflationary aims more fruitful.

The enemies Galley fleet chased the navy a litte too hard, their impetuous Admiral Ferdinand Wenzel von Hoenburg was desperate for revenge and to make a name for himself. This he did as he allowed his fleet to be drawn out into the open sea, the Republic's fleet's native environment, and were utterly crushed.

16810202austfleet.jpg

The last few transports were hunted down and the war entered an interesting stage. The enemy was landlocked. The navy split up to blockade the whole of Austria.

16810303austwar.jpg

The council met back in Onedonga to discuss another matter! It was desired that the interior should be colonised and so he nation focused on the area around Missouri for colonialisation. Apart from the slow growth of colonies up the west coast this area now had priority.

16810321movefocus.jpg

As the forts completed so did the taks set Theyanoguin, and the council advised that we build big ships to out shine the world.

16810405misssion.jpg

While this should not be hard it was also the traditional policy of Great Britain, once they had heard that the Republic's shipyards had been ordered open, hey responded in defence of their 'wooden wall'

16811209gbdow.jpg

This was expected, spies again left the safety of home to infiltrate the enemy and reveal her positions. Well it was estimated that they had around a 50/50 chance of sucess the first few failed completely.

16811209fiftyisntfifty.jpg

GB's fleet was a threat and so a peace with Austria was needed, despit a war score of around 20% when fully blockaded the best the diplomats could manage was to conceed defeat through not so heavily veiled gritted teeth.

16811219auscdpeace.jpg

A detachment of the fleet fought and sunk a British Transport, while on thier way back to Republican waters. The nation was angry and forced a debate upon the nature of military policy.

16820114deforoff.jpg

The defensive position still held the day but it was onvious that this could not last for ever. In the south, in the foothills oof th Andes the first battles had started. Things were running Iroquois' way. However the remnts of Spains old stack had moved to Choco and so the whole foce of the republics forces could not be order out. In case the Spainish should take advantage.

16820115battle.jpg

Just after news of this victory arrive news of defeat followed:

16820119fleetdestroyed.jpg

If these ships had moved on, as ordered, after defeating a lone British transport, this could never have happened. However for some reason they had not and the Home fleet from Anglia had caught them.

Battles continued to go the natives way in south America and the British forces slowly fell back.

In a desperate attempt to seek gain the desseperate Irish declared their intentions:

16820402eiredow.jpg

They had so little forces in Norh america their holdings were besieged within a few weeks. Something must be done about these upstarts.

As the shipbuilding completed and as the Royal Navy took losses the mission completed. The armies in the soth celebrated with another total victory.

16821013battle.jpg

At this stage the sixth attempt to infliltrate the Brits had been successful and it could be seen that there was little left in South America. The enemy had a squadron of 12 Galleos on station, these were drawn out and destroyed piecemeal.

16821025britishships.jpg

By the new year all the wars were looking good, as usual!

2011-04-16_00002.jpg

and the British theatre was moving forwards:

2011-04-16_00001.jpg

However, in the last few months there had been a breakthrough in army reform. this prompted a debate within the military as to wichformation was best suited for the republic's purposes. The reformed Terico infantry or the awesome in offence Gustovian formation. This debated had spilled over into the wider council despite the reformed Terico being field tested in the current wars.

The council also raged with itself over war aims. It was agreed that little but maybe money could be expected from Britain, although plans to seize or burn GB's colonies in africa were drawn up. But the Irish question needed settleing. On one side was the long view of conquest and annexation on the other a more daring policy of full immeiate conquest and hopeful vassaliation after some years, to let the europeans calm down from Portugal's humiliation!

(any advice on these chaps?)

1682 would be an interesting year.

Last edited:
A couple of things.. I now completely understand why you are so far behind in tech. Top 10 building priorities should in your case with monopolies be (with the exception of level one fortress) 1. Workshop. 2. Workshop. 3. Workshop. 4. Workshop. 5. Workshop. 6. Workshop. 7. Workshop. 8. Workshop. 9. Market place. 10. Fortress.
They give a huuuuge boost to your income and not building them will always mean you are giving your enemy an unneccesary advantage.

And to bad you took so much from Portugal. You should have kept a little restraint there so you could have taken more provinces for 3 bb instead of 4. To late to do anything about that now though.

Ireland is perfect for you. Do nothing. They are no threat to you and when they attack you can take provinces for 3 bb instead of 4 if you go on the offensive with a bad CB. GB is a way bigger threat and everything should be focused on them. You could always release some more from Ireland of course if you want that.

And why did you have to end the war with Austria? They were completely harmless. :)

EDIT: And as to what you should do with the money. The best would be to do what you should have done with all your money. Fix economy and fix strength. That mean economic buildings and colonization.

What's the vassalisation requirement for Ireland ;) More sensibly they are not worth going over the BB limit for so force release the Irish minors or money if you can't take as much land as the war score will allow.

Ireland would make a very good base if you do eventually want to get into European territory...

Panopticon

I totally agree, I have been focusing on workshops and Marketplaces since finishing forts and building up my fleet. All the workshops and markect places are now complete, (expect new colonies where I'm still building forts, lvl 1 in land, level 3 borders, lvl 2 all other coastal provs.

GB is the bigger threat, but with my infamy up at about 19 (limit of 20) I can't take any territory for a good long time. Also England is free, as is Scotland and half of Wales is French but there are still minors I can force her to release! I agree I need to get provs for 3bb in future. Any suggestions on how to get portugal to DOW me in future?

Ireland I could hold in a perpetual war. I have most of her territory besieged already, only greenland, 2 islands including the bahamas and Ireland proper. I can concentrate my transports and drop 14 regiments on Ireland. I could therefore get a total victory; if I can dodge the British fleet.

As for being so far behind, land tech 29 will be complete shortly! Any suggestions on the troop type choice? And the money, having finished the marketplaces what should I do? Are custom houses worth it? (money is already down to 2000 but it's almost time to knock on the Inca piggy bank again.)

You're right about Austria, but I needed my fleet to fight the Brits and couldn't keep their WE up otherwise!

PrawnStar

I'll check vassalation requirements when I next load. If I just vassalise them it shouldn't cost me too much Infamy, and I can wait a few years before making peace, it should settle Ireland out of the war cycle adn give me a stage from which to seriously hurt GB.

EDIT: 118 warscore to Vassalise.. darn it... However she is already in such a state that I cna get peace from her, her capital is occupied by heretical rebels. She'd give me 100 or so ducats (all her cash) and give up cores and realease another Munster, but I need to ensure that she be small enough to Vassalise next time, so I'll probably fight on and split her up even more completly. Unless you advise otherwise?

Last edited:
I think the advice is to build the workshop and marketplace before building the forts. Temples help recover stability. I can't believe you built a Fine Arts Academy. Next unit should be the best available. Banning Portugal from your CoTs ought to bring about the desired effect of a Portugal DoW. If you reduce the Irish to a size where you can make them your vassals, GB probably will take them before you can. Your MA with Burgundy already enables you to seriously hurt GB. You could get at France, too. You already know how to draw out the GB home fleet. You inadvertently did it at the start of the war. Your 5 frigates as bait... Taking GBs African colonies is not an idea I support. Burn them out, if you send troops there. Taking colonies in south America, mind, is a good idea.

I am disappointed that you moved your national focus to Missouri, partly because I think the colonization priority ought to be to reach those West Coast colonies, but also moving it to Mexico would have provided you with the opportunity to gain the Border Friction CB by using magistrates and, stationing a garrison force, the Settlement policy with a few more magistrates.

Against the Incas, it is probably time to connect Lima with your colonies in the north.

Don't vassalise the Irish until you've taken their American provinces!

Wars seem to come easily enough so you might want to be a little more careful in your BB management - I don't have DW so I can't be sure but I have a sense that the BB/province ratio hasn't be optimised perhaps as rigorously as could be achieved.

PS Build workshops, they're good for your economy and for Panopticon's blood pressure ;)

I could say that I'm not a big fan of vassals so I wouldn't vassalize Ireland. Instead, Ireland is the perfect starting point for an attack against Europe when you have taken all of America. I can say it feels incredibly good to take the war to Europe. :D
I don't think I would make Ireland release more nations either, that would make it more BB expensive to take Ireland later. They are already small enough so they are no problem for you. :)

PS Build workshops, they're good for your economy and for Panopticon's blood pressure ;)

Thank you for thinking of my health. ;)

I am disappointed that you moved your national focus to Missouri, partly because I think the colonization priority ought to be to reach those West Coast colonies, but also moving it to Mexico would have provided you with the opportunity to gain the Border Friction CB by using magistrates

You have yet to explain how the border friction CB would be his and not Portugals since it's the other nation that gets it..

An annoyance...

The wars continued unabated. The British were in full retreat in south America and the Seiges against Ireland were completing one by the one. The Iroquois looked up this aggression and the council lamented that the Republic's reputation would not be repaired enough to take advatage of Ireland's and Britain's mistake.

Construction continued, and for the sake of everyones health Workshops were givn priority!

16830301workshops.jpg

The nations steady but humble stream of settlers produced yet anoter group ready for adventure. The council ordered them to the west coast only to find a disaster had occured. An iinternal inquiry was launched as to why the council had not been informed sooner. Spain had a colonist on route to Huichol. The nation despatched observers hoping to see the colonists fail to establish them selves. They did not!

16830424spain.jpg

The Republic responded by joining the race. Tepehuan ws colonised and fiter parties sent to strengthen thir growth. The west coast itself was beyond reach via the sea and using the land route restricted growth to one provencie at a time.

The council eruptted into heated debate as the inquiry closed! The report of the Spainish move had been 'misplaced' by a Colonial Office clerk recruited from a Castlian province!!

This in turn provoked a strong debate about the countries awful reputation. A special set of envoys tourn the courts of europe and improved the situation.

16830912loseinfamy.jpg

Diplomats in Ireland where aware that that small nation needed peace and so an offer was made and accepted. The two richest provinces in Ireland's American holdings were taken and the world was again abuzz with talk of how nearly the Republic was run by dishonourable scum. No one could quite create enough scandal to use the native's behaviour as a CB but it was close.

16830912irepeace.jpg

Construction continued across the nations, colonies becames cities and cities were fortified, had workshops and markets added and fortified again. The nation responded with her own non government funded proects to aid the effort.

16830927fort.jpg

Election time loomed large, but Theyanoguin's highly popular policies and skills meant the election was a one horse race.

16840808election.jpg

The Spainish colony was a serious issue, Theyanoguin hoped that the close border would induce Spain into a DOW, and he ordered interferance to help. The Native's of Huichol had all died out long ago, but there were still enough discontented people to sponser a rebelion. Which was done. The republic's centres of trade were also closed to Spain, but she did not trade there. Merchants were even sent to the hodge pot of CoTs which was Iberia but nothing seemed to provoke the Spainish Sphinx.

The truce with the Incan's was up as well, but diplomatic insults, closing off our trade and other tricks failed to convince the to strike, despite warning the Iroquois to not march to war anymore.

In the south the war continued with little loss of life, the final british transport had been tracked down and sunk.

16841222lasttranspport.jpg

British South America was in republican hands , as were her Carribean Islands. To celebrate the end of major hostilities the people Micmac finally found thier way to the spirit world!

16851110conversion.jpg

A small plan was arranged to send a fleet with a small detachment of men to the west african coast. Britain's colonies there were seized, though one small community were so die hard that they burned thier own villages and trekked into the interior rather than submit to Republican rule.

One of these colomies had a Burgundian border and so diplomacy was used to keep them sweet.

16860527burdungy.jpg

While opperating in African the last squadron of the British was caught and sunk.

16870129britships.jpg

This brough the war to all practical purposes to a close. The British fleet was completely destroyed, they would pose no threat for years to come.

06870129britwarprog.jpg

Diplomats found the once proud seafarers in a humble mood. Her tresury would be emptied and some small nations released. Her humliation was complete.

16870129britishpeace.jpg

Peace reigned, and with it construction continued. Colonists were still being sent to seed the unpopulated parts of the Republic. The African holdings were not taken seriously, not one man would be sent to hold them in war, but should they make the long journey to cityhood they would be useful.

Diplomats still tried to insult the Spainish, but nothing seemed to provoke them! They were engaged already in a war against their arch foes Austria. With gains for the Iroquois wanting to be limited to seizing that colony a dow, lacking any CB was considered too clostly for just one province! The main bulk of the Republic's lands now looked like this:

16880101USA.jpg

As the sun rose in a new year 1688 means of getting ino wars with Spain and inca were sought!

Yay for Northumbrian independence! The North shall rise! (If I seem overexcited it's where I grew up LOL)

Can't you use that National focus thingy to get a CB on Castilie's colony or is that Chief Ragusa & Panopticon rattling on about? I'm starting to picture them as a married middle aged couple on a long car journey...

Yay for Northumbrian independence! The North shall rise! (If I seem overexcited it's where I grew up LOL)

Can't you use that National focus thingy to get a CB on Castilie's colony or is that Chief Ragusa & Panopticon rattling on about? I'm starting to picture them as a married middle aged couple on a long car journey...

Well, the Chief advises that if I move my national focus (which I can't do for a couple of decades still) to their border I can use magistrates to get a CB. Panopticon, points out that if I move my national focus to their border they get the border friction cb.

However, When I took CHoco, Ireland had their national focus on my border and I didn't get a cb. And I've no idea which province/cultural decision I can use the magistrates for to get this cb the Chief advises me...

If they are a married couple on a long car journey... I feel like the very confused and mildly alarmed child in the backseat! However, I'm still glad they're both here!

As for the north arissing. I couldn't release Wales, as France owns part of it, but Britain is now divded, into French Wales, Cornwall, Northumberland, Scotland, England (London, Kent and I think a prov in the north east) and of course GB. England is in the sphere of influence, I should have fought on a bit further and made them drop this too. With a little help I'm sure I could get a nice firendly northern english kingdom up and running!

EDIT: As GB DOWed me I should have dragged the war on till infamy let me take some 3 bb provs, but I've noticed that sometimes the AI will wait until I'm at peace to start another round of wars (or it feels like that) hence why i made peace in the hope enraged Spain would try their hand.

Personally I think I should take the stab hit and DOW Spain, or maybe portugal is Spain is still Defender of the faith. I have the request cb on portugal (core on Yamasee)

You finally ended your wars. If the Portuguese used that border CB, as the defender, after you won, you could use the same CB to take territory off them.

pan = all opticon = seeing is more like the univited mother-in-law

Hurrah, you gained a free fort ... the first of many, I hope.
How many wondrous colonists do you get a year. Keep colonising the west coast route.
So you have a Reconquest CB on Portugal and the Incas have told you not to go to war with anyone. Seems like a plan. Is Ireland still defender of the faith? 3 wars for the price of 1.

I can't remember who is defneder of the faith, can't be ireland, she's lost a war since, it was spain but and may still be as she didnt' lose the war verses me, but ii'm not sure she'd answer the call as she's at war with Austria.

Portugal has about 3 different cb's on me. so there isn't any problem with her DOWing me except that she is still mess from last time! I wish I could get colonial conquest cbs... or even become an Empire and get Imperialism... sigh..

To bleed the mighty...

Peace reigned throughout the Republic. This was hardly the usual order of things for a nation who, despite her isolation has had to fight almost constantly for over a hundred years.

However peace was not desired, a way to get into war with several enemies were sought. Spain was the defender of tha Catholic faith, and so could be expected to come to Portugal's or Ireand's aid and Spain was certainly a target. Her colony on the west coast of North America was a direct challenge to the prestiege of the Republic.

However, Spain was involved in war with Austria, which was rather onesided. Spain had access through Burgundy but Austria did not, this makes it very hard for the Germans to fight effectively, especially with the recent destruction of thier fleet.

The council decided to wait for Spain to finish her war but refused her, Ireland and Portugal access to the Republics CoTs. if the enemy could be made to be the agressor life would become easier for the Natives.

In the meanwhile domestic ppolicies continued to bear fruit .

16880525conversion.jpg

The slow process of attempting to convert the Europeans continued. However only once every 5 years did a Shaman with the necessary skills and courage come forward to be sent into the missions. The Republic was adding enemy territory much faster than this something may have to be done, but becoming more narrowmind would also slow down technological innovation.

It was time yet again for the people of have thier say:

16880809election.jpg

Theyanoguin again beat off all chalenges, his reputation legendary and his hold on the council was vice like. His oppents lacked a common cause to unite behind to dethrone him. Some objected to his colonial policy, others to his foregin policy, but the opposition could not put their own differences aside. Maybe they lack confidence in any of thier own party to be as effective in leadership and so did not rully feel that this was the ime to amke their move.

Theyanoguin also implimented a more centralised administration, a small revolt broke out as some minor noble felt this loss of authority neccesitated the loss of his own life but other wise the reforms went smoothly. A war college was founded in the nation's capital as part of these centralisation policies.

Spain finished her war with Austria in victory and she then immediately banned the Iroquois from her CoTs. Theyanoguinn was seen grinning as he was brought the news and he immediately covened the coucil and they declared war over the issue.

16890305spainwar.jpg

Despite having sent the Republic a stern warning the Incas did not enter the war too.
The military's first task was to clear out the Carribean of Spain's small fleets:

16890516endofcarrbstaion.jpg

With the news of this small victory had spread, the people of Mass made an effort to improve thier defences. While on the other side of the Republic a grain depot was constructed in Missouri to aid the war effort!

16900115freefort.jpg

Sadly, others in the Republic hoped to use the distraction of war to their own selfish ends. Theyanoguinn was unshakable in his condemnation of such 'enterprises':

16900519corruption.jpg

Ruthlessly he smashed the would be fraudsters and the intrusion into civilian life distrupted many households.

The next stage of the war was the invasion of Spainish Brazil, while the war aims were already achieved (siezure of Huichol) Spain could not be made to surrender and so the council decided again to humble her whereever possible.

Firstly the Brazil Station fleet needed to be drawn out and sunk to Davy' Jones'.

16900712endofbrazilstation.jpg

Troops were then landed in the unfortifed south, this would give them time to reinforce from the sea before the enemy could close with them

16910101brazilcamp.jpg

The two enemy stacks were not overly powerful, one a 5/3/0 the next a 3/4/1 but with only a 5/4/4 if they combined they would be trouble. Thankfully they did not. The stack racing down the coast met harsh resistence.

16910222invasionofbrazil.jpg

The navy then managed to deliver a few more regiments just in time to fight and defeat the second, more balanced and more ablely led stack.

This stack would need to be run down and Theyendanega took his freshest troops, overtaking the enemy three times before they were finally destroyed by the sea.

16910423firstwin.jpg

While the army spread out to siege the Spainish forts, attention was turned to the next campaign, as Spain seemed no more enamoured with a white peace.

16910101argcamp.jpg

Meanwhile religous conversion continued to oupace the availability of new missionaries:

16910430conversion.jpg

And finally the Incan's made a diplomatic blunder.

16911211incainsult.jpg

War was swift, and deadly. This time the Republic was not content with only taking money and sezied Inca's northern coastal territory during the campaign. Lima was now linked to the Iroquois other South american holdings. The ensueing peace refilled the natives treasury nicely:

16920421incapeace.jpg

Much work had been done on the Iroquois' economy now the second greatest in the world! sSome argued that due to the inflationary situation in Russia, the Iroquois economy was actually stronger!

16920521income.jpg

However the nation was still at war and plans were being drawn up for the complete occupation of Spain's new world territory as well as a possible blockade of the holdings in Europe and North Africa.

16920522war.jpg

The republic's colonialisation efforts were moving full steam ahead. The West coast progress was slow as colonists could only be sent over land.

16920522col.jpg

Europe was still a curiousity. France had been forced to release Wales and so the British Isles were a total patch work. Burgundy looked set to annex the remainder of France in the near future.

16920522europe.jpg

What next for the Iroquois?

Last edited: