Crown from the Gutter is an awesome, potentially overpowered event for Prussia

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only that, but I believe he tried to argue that accepting the crown would infringe upon the sovereign rights of the German nations, or something. Silly Friedrich Wilhelm :D

Anywho, I don't think it's overpowered at all. It depends on your current situation, really. If I recall properly, the event makes you about as prestigeous as dirt and makes everyone under the sun hate you. Of course, you can do a lot to negate that, but the penalties are enough to a point where I think it's balanced.

Yes, its hard arguing facts with revolutionaries. lol

I think you lose 15 prestige and gain 10 infamy from the gutter crown. It certainly will help with immigration issues, especially with the latest patch, but it does mean you can't go to war for a while. If you're coming off of a recent war, it may also get you over the limit and cause people to declare wars of containment. So yeah, I don't think its overpowered for anyone, even Germany.

Guess I shouldn't have used my old thread to ask my question. :p In any case, I can't find the event in an old version of the game I knew had it. Which means I never actually tracked it down in the files. Doesn't seem to be in NationalUnification.txt like you'd expect.

I was looking for the generic join cultural union event for sphered minors but couldn't find it. Has it been removed from the game as of 1.3 final?

Guess I shouldn't have used my old thread to ask my question. :p In any case, I can't find the event in an old version of the game I knew had it. Which means I never actually tracked it down in the files. Doesn't seem to be in NationalUnification.txt like you'd expect.

It's in \Victoria 2\events\CleanUp.txt:

Code:
# Annex SoIs
country_event = {
	id = 60120
	title = "EVTNAME60120"
	desc = "EVTDESC60120"
	picture = "greatpowers"

trigger = {
		ai = yes
		part_of_sphere = yes
		sphere_owner = {
			is_greater_power = yes
			is_culture_group = THIS
			is_cultural_union = yes
			war = no
		}
		NOT = {
			AND = {
				OR = {
					tag = AUS
					tag = KUK
				}
				sphere_owner = {
					tag = GER
				}
				NOT = {
					exists = HUN
				}
			}
		}
		NOT = {tag = ISR}
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 12
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA60120"
		sphere_owner = {
			country_event = 60130
		}
	}
}

The event puts you between a rock and a hard place. Taking it is guaranteed to ignite containment wars -- unless, of course, you've been sitting with your thumbs up your ass for the past few years as goddamn Prussia -- and it'll also leave you with a whole bunch of nothing to hand out if mil starts getting high late game.

But it can also give you an early Germany, an advantage not to be despised.

It's neat, offers nifty benefits and forces you to make a choice: go for broke and take on the GPs in a containment orgy, or wait and do it yourself through violence.

As I recall, Friedrich Wilhelm IV, King of Prussia, actually did get invited to become the Emperor of a liberal Germany during the 1848 revolutions, but turned down the offer because of the liberal reforms acceptance would have necessitated (and because the proposed German state would not have included Austrian lands).

How can you be unaware that the exact words of his rejection were "I will not accept the crown from the gutter."

The event pretty much spells out what happened to Fred Willy Four.

Why did he reject it? Dude was a dictator, just like the dictators getting their asses handed to em in the Middle East right now. Although most of them don't bother dressing up with a crown and claiming a god gave em the right to sit on the chair -- score one to them for their honesty? Why on earth would he care about rights for the very people he was conspiring to murder?

Then you have to consider the fact that thirty years prior people had been finishing up the bloodiest war they had ever experienced because of something similar that happened in France in 1789. You know, the single most formative experience for an entire generation? What odds would you give someone repeating the actions of Louis 16 a mere forty years later?

Had he gone with the Frankfurt Parliament, the history of Europe would have been very different. A newly liberal Germany probably wouldn't have stepped in on Austria's side in Vienna against the rebels who had gained victory so often, or murdered the peoples of Baden and the Palatinate. Louis Napoleon might have been scared enough of a liberal Germany stepping in against him that he might not have performed a coup on the Second Republic. WWI probably wouldn't have happened -- no crazed Kaiser seeking dominion over worthless lands -- and without WWI, no WWII or Cold War. Neat thought.

It's neat, offers nifty benefits and forces you to make a choice: go for broke and take on the GPs in a containment orgy, or wait and do it yourself through violence.

How can you be unaware that the exact words of his rejection were "I will not accept the crown from the gutter."

The event pretty much spells out what happened to Fred Willy Four.

Why did he reject it? Dude was a dictator, just like the dictators getting their asses handed to em in the Middle East right now. Although most of them don't bother dressing up with a crown and claiming a god gave em the right to sit on the chair -- score one to them for their honesty? Why on earth would he care about rights for the very people he was conspiring to murder?

Ha. Whoa - Interesting take on the subject. I see things from a rather... different perspective. To be totally honest, I think Friedrich Wilhelm was one of the most effective and modern rulers to deal with the liberal revolutions in 1848. He was probably the one monarch who managed to survive the revolution, with his power intact, *without* completely crushing the movement. During the bloody spring of 1848, when Berlin was is 9/10th of an open revolt, the King decided accept the terms of the insurgents and send his military our of the city (much to the protest of Wilhelm II, his ultra-conservative/reactionary son, who wanted every last revolutionary killed in a massive military crackdown.) When the revolutionary fevor cracked and the factions splintered (Between Liberal Monarchists and Democrats), Friedrich Wilhelm stepped in and reasserted the complete authority of the crown... but not before drawing up a consitution that gave Prussia a bicameral legislative body. The king still remained the foremost executive - and the military answered only to the king - but it was still a far cry from the events in Vienna that same year.

But all the same - I can sortof see your point. I have to admit though, I find myself rather liking King Friedrich Wilhelm, the more I learn about him.

In order to keep this thread heading in the right(ish) direction: I have a question -- I've been away from Vicky 2 for a LONG time. Recently am trying to get back into it. I'm afraid I've completely forgotten how to go about forming Germany, as Prussia, in the historical sense. (My guess: Gather all german minors into my SoI. Attack Denmark, take Holstein, beat up on Austria -- preferably in 7 weeks or less, and then trounce France. Do I need to take Alsace-Loraine as well?)

Thank you!

You do need Alsace Loraine for Germany, though you need to remove some minors from Austria to form the NGC

1. My tactic is to attack Denmark with a liberate Casus Belli plus take Jutland.
2. Make sure you ally with France and then along with them defeat Austria in a Hegemony war (possibly take Bohemia).
3. Attack France (hopefully as a support during one of their attacks on Belgium) Take Alsace-Loraine and French Comte to really hurt them.
4. Either form Germany or in the event that either you lost some german states from your SOI or Bavaria became a GP. or Fight another war with Austria.

In the final point dont stop till you have knocked Austria out of GP status at which point you sign peace and form Greater Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.