+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Don't understand how to get a Casus Belli

Don't understand how to get a Casus Belli

People are saying this like assassinate a nearby governor or seduce him - which surely costs way more than the cost stability rise?

Could someone please explain?

If you assassinate someone and are caught then relations drop dramatially with that country, then they'll execute your diplomat and you'll get a casus belli.

You could also encourage disloyalty in their governors; drop the relation enough and you'll be able to declare war without consequences.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: Warband

There are two lines of thought with regards to the assassination method.

The first one is that you simply send a dud character to try and assassinate any enemy character. He's hopeless, so has next to no chance of succeeding and is almost sure to be caught and either executed or imprisoned. Both of those results are valid causes for war, and losing a useless character can only be beneficial for your country.

The second is that you send a character with high finesse but not much else to kill a strong enemy general or a king whose heir is extremely unpopular. Finesse is what determines whether an intrigue mission is successful or not, so this character would have a decent chance of killing the target. The benefit of this is that even if you don't get your CB, you get to kill an important enemy character which might make your subsequent war easier to conduct.

@Borne2Run: even having a -200 relation doesn't remove the stability penalty for declaring war with no CB. The only thing that does that is having a Civilisation value in your capital more than 20 points above that of the enemy. Which is great for Rome, who starts with 90% Civ...
    EU: Rome, the way it should have been.
    Europa Imperialis Map Mod v0.1d

Heh, makes sense considering all of my -200s are tribals :-)

so my envoy has to be caught AND executed to get a casus belli?

European Emperor Zechariah Zevi's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by arabassist View Post
    Yes.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by arabassist View Post
    Executed or imprisoned, yes. If he's caught and let go, you get nothing but a small infamy and relations hit.
    EU: Rome, the way it should have been.
    Europa Imperialis Map Mod v0.1d

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome Gold500k club

If another country keeps my POW generals as prisoners for years and years, is there anything I can do?
    Can I offer to pay ransom? Can I negotiate somehow? Would they initiate anything?

Guess, I don't get a CB for them keeping my generals, do I?

Sending someone to free them would be cool...
    (Sorry for necro-ing...)

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindRome Gold
    CK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival2211 View Post
    If another country keeps my POW generals as prisoners for years and years, is there anything I can do?
    Can I offer to pay ransom? Can I negotiate somehow? Would they initiate anything?

Guess, I don't get a CB for them keeping my generals, do I?

Sending someone to free them would be cool...
    (Sorry for necro-ing...)
    You should be able to negotiate their release for some gold (If you are monarchy). If you are republic then your senate has to agree with the negotiations though.

Rome Gold500k club

Isn't that only for me to offer to release a prisoner, but not to ask another country to release my characters?

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindRome Gold
    CK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival2211 View Post
    Isn't that only for me to offer to release a prisoner, but not to ask another country to release my characters?
    It should be one of the diplomatic missions: Something like this.

Rome Gold500k club

You are totally right. I forgot. My issue actually was that I couldn't choose the option despite the Senate being ok about it.

+ Reply to Thread