• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a voter that has been torn between the Whigs and the Radicals in past elections, the emergence of the Liberal Party excites me greatly. The continuation of proven economic policy, bona fide republican reform in universal suffrage, careful, profitable adventures in the East, and friendship with fellow English-speakers to our west. To these ends I vote for the Liberals.

Chartists

hm time to vote for the first time in this interactive AAR, Liberal!

Let's hear the Chartist's Cheer. A hundred years, a thousand years and all that.

Well, after a lull in voting I thought now would be a decent time to give you the latest poll:

We've now had 39 votes - this is 12 below last election's record haul (well, there have only been 2 elections :p) of 52. Taking into account the loss of MOnday for voting this is a pretty good tally at this stage. We may well reach 51. :)

Liberals: 13
Tories: 12
Chartists: 12
Whigs: 2

After a recent surge the Chartists are back up there with the Tories and Liberals. The Whigs .... well they are still going to have seats. :p

Looking at seats the current tally would be:

Liberals: 167
Tories: 154
Chartists: 154
Whigs: 25

There are also Unionists and IPP MPs in Ireland - together making up 100 MPs (the IPPs are in a significant majority).

At the moment a potential Liberal-Chartist alliance would just be able to scape a pretty narrow majority. But only a few votes could scupper that. Such an alliance might risk instability (especially if the Chartists move any further to the left) but it would be the best option if results ended like this. If things level out even further then we may well face the situation of the Liberals and Chartists choosing between a hung parliament or an alliance with the Irish Parliamentary party - at the moment the IPP is led by Daniel O'Connel but he is both the most moderate figure amongst the Irish nationalists and rather old (71). I think an IPP led by him could be a coalition partner with the Liberals and Chartists - but if anyone more extreme takes control such a coalition would be very difficult to imagine.

On the right the Whigs would probably ally with the Liberals, but including the Chartists in an alliance might be a step too far - the IPP definately would. The Tories would not find it hard to ally with the Whigs and Unionists - anyone else would be a stretch.

So that's an idea of the possible outcomes.

Now lets get the vote out! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.