• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice post Attack :)

--

I'm torn on the topic of reunifying with our canadian brothers. On the one hand it is our and their right to do as we please and damn those yankees for even thinking of interfering. On the other hand, they may just interfere. They would be in the wrong, but that's never stopped them before and it wont do so now. We couldn't gain anything from a war with them at the current time, and the Atlantic republic is an insignificant wasteland that would add little to our coffers. So, I say let's keep the atlantic's under our influence and wait until the yankees are distracted, perhaps by a war with Mexico, before moving further.

I'd advice against directing too much time and energy towards a power-struggle with the USA in the western hemisphere. Our priority must be the east. That is where the richest gains can be made for the lowest cost and risk. Madagascar reopens the gates to India, let us use them before it's too late. France can easily move from their bases in Bengal to dominate the entire region if we don't act in time.

Congratulations on the wonderful post! However, I do have a few questions that I must ask( They will probably be answered in the next update, but I am impatient:)). Do we have a Casus-Beli on Ireland? Does Ireland have any allies? If so, who are they? Are there any major wars in Europe? Finally, what is the situation in India?

Thank you in advance, and again, excellent post.

I have cores on Ireland - I can annex wholly without BB. At the moment few countries seem interested in Ireland (the French intially put a bit of influence into them and then seemed to give up). The war I mentioned with Belgium has been the only big war. Denmark has engaged in its mandatory defeat in Schleswig though. :p

India is quite interesting. Sadly the Indian Kingdoms haven't been doing much warring as I might have hoped, but nethertheless lots of European have been having a go.

France annexed Nepal.

Portugal invaded ''India'' (based round Bengal) and got defeated after their armies were broken and both Goa and East Timor were occupied. WP

The Dutch started the game as a GP (I have them extra prestige at game start to represent prestige gained from their new gains over Britain). They began their defense of GP status with a defeat to Belgium - then around 1838 they invaded Hyderabad to try to gain a province. Not only were they beaten but Sri Lanka, the Maldives and a couple of proves in Indonesia were occupied. WP Just after this war Belgium overtook them to become the 8th GP.

Poor Holland. :p

Nice post Attack :)

--

I'm torn on the topic of reunifying with our canadian brothers. On the one hand it is our and their right to do as we please and damn those yankees for even thinking of interfering. On the other hand, they may just interfere. They would be in the wrong, but that's never stopped them before and it wont do so now. We couldn't gain anything from a war with them at the current time, and the Atlantic republic is an insignificant wasteland that would add little to our coffers. So, I say let's keep the atlantic's under our influence and wait until the yankees are distracted, perhaps by a war with Mexico, before moving further.

I'd advice against directing too much time and energy towards a power-struggle with the USA in the western hemisphere. Our priority must be the east. That is where the richest gains can be made for the lowest cost and risk. Madagascar reopens the gates to India, let us use them before it's too late. France can easily move from their bases in Bengal to dominate the entire region if we don't act in time.

I'm going to handle the whole Atlantic Republic situation like this:

If the Radicals win I won't take the annex event when it comes (I edited Newfoundland to have British primary culture so we could have this situation :D)

If the Tories win I'll accept the event but just leave the Atlantic provs as mere colonies

If the Whigs win then Atlantic Rep becomes a full part of the Republic. However, in elections it won't be you lot who choose who the Atlanticers vote for. I will do that based on their POPs. I think this give you a more interesting choice of whether you want to expand the vote to new regions - as you may start to proportionally lose power. However, the main purpose of this idea is to make Ireland interesting. If we do one day reannex Ireland and fully integrate then the Irish will get to vote. However I feel that Irish voters cannot be represented without special interest parties (Pro-Independence and Unionists) which wouldn't work in our system. Anyway, leaves you with more interesting questions to ask yourselves when you consider giving new areas full voting rights. I also calculated that if you do choose to grant the Atlanticers full voting rights they would only elect 7 seats (tiny population). So we would have a 407 seats Parliament with you guys still electing 400 of those seats.

All of you quasi-monarchists speak of Egypt as though it is our final destination...

While the Vally of the Nile was once great and glorious, it is now only useful for the purpose of this canal; true wealth will not flow from that corpse of a country. Let us build this canal but only insofar as to create a launch pad into Asia. Allow me to be frank, with our new possessions in Africa we have started a new maritime empire, for this reason I purpose will launch an expedition, of sorts, to reach an 'Egypt' which has never fallen. I speak, of course, of China.

And what better way to tame China then to set a base in those convenient islands of Japan?

Gentlemen, surely it's better to remain isolated for now? Why send our nation's sons to some far off country to die for the sake of needless jingoism? We must continue to strenghthen ourselves industrially and socially before we can even hope of raising the Union Jack over a new colony or old teritory?

These "adventures" do seem rather out of character for a country that just underwent several major revolts.

I agree. In all honesty, whether people "want" to or not, would Britain actually be ABLE to just start conquering things as casually as afternoon tea (pun intended)? After all, it DID just go through a large-scale civil war and several rather radical changes.

I must agree with Mr. Wood, that right now what we is improve the living conditions of our population, and improve our current military standing from threat of invasion from the neighboring imperialistic powers of Europe, we can't throw what little resources we have into some rag-tag colonial adventure.

The Election of 1841

After five and a half years of coalition control of Parliament Earl Spencer decided to call for an election rather than see his government fall apart. Despite impressive cooperation on internal issues the Whigs and Radicals had been driven apart by foreign affairs – the Irish and Atlantic crises in particular. Perhaps unsurprisingly foreign affairs were to be at the heart of the 1841 election.

xcon.jpg

The Conservative Party (Tories)

Since defeat in 1836 the Tories, Parliament’s largest party, had maintained a significant degree of influence. Always willing to work with the Whigs to prevent the Radicals from passing more extreme legislation and always eager to drive a wedge between the two parties many amongst the Conservatives saw the failure of the alliance to fulfil its maximum term as a victory for the Tory party’s opposition. In this election Ireland was to be the single greatest issue campaigned on by the Conservatives.

Party Leader: Sir Robert Peel

Robert_Peel_Portrait.jpg

Now 53 Robert Peel was considerably younger than the leadership of the governing Whig Party (most high ranking Whigs were either nearing or past their 70s). He was seen as the harbinger of a new, more modern Tory party. He had also tried to push the party further away from its old core support amongst landowners by wooing industrialists and even middle and working class voters. In spite of the grumblings within the party over Peel’s desire to slowly phase out large scale protectionism there was a great sense of confidence that the Conservatives could be returned to government for the first time in the Republic’s history.

Policies

Economic:

The government likes to discuss its success in encouraging industrial growth during its tenure. But it does not like to discuss where this growth has been focused. Arms. The furniture industry has stagnated, the textile industry has shrunk, the steel industry has barely grown as has the drinks industry. Yet the arms industry has experienced exponential growth. Whilst the possession of a strong armaments industry is not a bad thing, the fact that this industry is growing to dominate our economy is. We are now heavily reliant on the uncontrollable factor of war to keep the economy growing. This is the fate the Whigs and pacifist Radicals have left us in.

Unless we issue government measures to encourage growth in other sectors. Let the production of steel and consumer goods expand whilst our arms industry is allowed to pause in its growth. We will be able to push ourselves out of economic stagnation and leave the country with a more stable base for future growth.

We believe that taxation and tariffs should be used in tandem to balance the budget and protect our industry. Neither method of balancing the budget should over power the other. However the policy of tax cuts for the enterprising must remain.

Political:

The Conservative party calls for a massive overhaul of policing in Britain. Currently policing is shambolic, inadequate and ineffective. This party wishes to expand the force, ensure its accountability to the public, change its entire ethic and direction and re-order it in its entirety.

How can we hope for prosperity when the streets of Britain are not safe?

Military:

With threats from East and West growing Britain must be prepared. The expansion of the army should continue and the construction of new steam powered ships for the navy should begin. Military spending should also rise to 55%.

Ireland:

We cannot allow the continued atrocities of the Pope’s servants in Ireland against the good British and Protestant peoples who live there. It is our moral duty to ensure their security. Ireland must be liberated and we must do so now. Following the defeat of the forces of chaos the island shall be placed under martial law for a period as peace is restored and the lands plundered by the Irish during our Civil War is restored to its rightful owners.

The Atlantic Republic:

We will not be bullied by the Americans. If the peoples of the Atlantic territories wish to return to British control then they may do so. However, these far off lands can never be considered an integral part of the British nation – separated by an Ocean as they are – it would be ludicrous to think they could be. Moreover if these Atlantic peoples were to be governed by our Parliament (even with representation) their tiny population would mean that their influence would be so insignificant that it would barely register. It would effectively mean government without representation. Let these restored colonies instead enjoy a small degree of autonomy under the auspices of a restored British state.

America shall surely not risk a brutal war if we make assurances that the Atlantic territories mark the full extent of our ambitions in the Americas.

Foreign Policy:

If the Whigs and Radicals wanted to totally isolate us from Europe and the USA alike then they have most definitely succeed and deserve to be congratulated. Every time a potential ally from Europe outstretches their hand the government has slapped it away. Whilst across the Atlantic the incompetent blunders of the government have denied this country friendship with the US.

We must look to rebuild our relations with the continental powers – most importantly Prussia – as we look to ensure that France is not allowed to dominate the continent. Safety from Europe is vital for overseas expansion.

For a war in Madagascar is one thing, a war with France or the USA would be quite another. If the government were to continue on its current course, we would come to blows with the US over a few enclaves of territory in the icy North and would be undefended from French attack from the South. Let us have no wars that we cannot win.

It is in Asia where the future of our Empire lies.

xwhig.jpg

The Whigs

After five years of coalition government and two Prime Ministers the Whig party was exhausted with its partners. Especially in the latter days of the first Parliament the Radicals had become impossible to work with. It remains unclear whether the Whigs and Radicals would even be able to renew their coalition if the 1841 election produced a similar situation to 1836.

Party Leader: John Charles Spencer, 3rd Earl Spencer

spencer-1.jpg

Spencer had become Prime Minister following the retirement of Charles Grey due to ill health. However, he was not the most physically fit man himself and since becoming PM his health had seemed to fade slightly. Yet at 59 he seemed young enough to continue on for years to come. He had been chosen ahead of Lord Melbourne to be party leader and Prime Minister due to the greater level of respect he held amongst the Radicals. Yet his failure to act on Ireland, the stagnant economy and the ongoing problems in the North Atlantic had greatly dented his reputation. In the election of 1841 he would make it clear that he wanted to ensure a solely Whig government.

Policies

Economic:

The unrestricted free market doubled our industrial output in just 3 years. Surely this is enough proof that the free market is what is good for our economy? Yes, at this time there are problems. There will always be problem. But this is due to the international economic situation. It is not just Britain that is currently suffering – France, the US and Prussia are all experiencing recessions in their industrial sector. Let Britain be the first to bounce back from economic difficulty as we encourage enterprise – rather than stifle it with government interference as the Tories would.

Low tariffs and low taxes for the enterprising create the ideal situation for our industrialists to invest in the future, to provide jobs for the urban workers and wealth for the entire country.

Political:

The past 5 years has been a time of great reforms. But at this time the reforms have gone far enough. A decade ago the failure of this country’s Tory government to be flexible pushed the people to revolution. Today we have met their demands and peace within the country has been secured.

Military:

There is no need to further expand the standing army. However, we do support the idea of constructing a new fleet of steam ships to protect our shores.

Ireland:

The current situation across the Irish Sea is proof that complete self governance in Ireland had fulfilled all our fears – violence against the Protestants and both French and Papal influence. Enough we say! Our mission is humanitarian; we shall restore order to Ireland and immediately begin the process of reintegration into Britain. Britain is the mother of Ireland; we cannot abandon its people. Hopefully by the next election the people of Ireland will be able to take part.

The Atlantic Republic:

The people of the Atlantic Republic have requested Union. Who are we to deny these people their inalienable rights? If we reject them then we send out a message to all British living overseas that the homeland does not care for them. The hawks in Washington may rattle their sabres, but they will not go to war with us over this point. Our promise not to attempt to restore control over Canada will have abated the fears of the more reasonable Americans and ensured peace.

The Atlantic Republic will be annexed and integrated. By the next election the people of Halifax will be voting alongside the people of Hereford.

Foreign Policy:

The Tories would embroil us in European affairs in order to secure our safety. But in reality they would bring us into conflicts on the continent that have nothing to do with Britain. If the people of Britain want peace from truly devastating conflicts they will vote against the Tories.

We must look to the East – to secure new markets for our expanding industries.

xrad.jpg

The Radical Party

The lesser partner in the ruling coalition the Radicals were frequently blocked by the Whigs and Tories working together. This, as much as the recent problems, has been the primary reason for the Radical disenchantment with the coalition. There was a general feeling within the party that they were being treated as stooges.

Party Leader: John Bright

john_bright_1-1.jpg

The only party leader who had competed in the previous election he was also by far the youngest – the only candidate born this century. Hoping to secure even greater gains after a highly impressive electoral success in 1836 Bright had attempted to make his party’s policies more universally acceptable.

Policies

Economic:

The free market with a human face remains the slogan of the Radical party. We shall encourage free trade and enterprise – but the wealthiest citizens should promise a portion of that wealth for the poorest. To achieve this goal we need a progress tax system – one with which the government provides a steady flow of wealth from the top to the bottom rather than the bottom to the top.

Political:

Universal suffrage! The freedom to vote for every male citizen over 21, regardless of their wealth, education or whatever other requirement the Whigs and Tories might demand. All men deserve to have the right to vote.

We must also end all restrictions on Trade Unions. At this time some Unions are illegal in the eyes of the government – those Unions being the ones who support total equality across society. The ideas of these Unions might seem extreme, but if all the press are free to say what they wish then all Unions should be free to their own politics.

Military:

A halt to all military expansion. Peace, not war, is the future of our isle.

Ireland:

The claims of the presses of Catholic atrocities and compacts with Rome and Paris are woefully exaggerated and more often than not based on no truth what so ever. Yes there have been genuine reports of attacks, but these have been isolated incidents and are certainly not widespread. The belief that Rome and Paris are working with the government in Ireland are quite absurd – they are a Republic, just like us, and suffer the same isolation from the continent. We should be working with the Irish government to secure peace in Ulster.

The Irish have the right to self determination, just as the Ulster Protestants have a right to peace. An invasion will ensure that that isle can never experience peace.

The Atlantic Republic:

The people of the Atlantic Republic have not yet had a chance to vote on whether or not they want Union and we are already preparing to go to war with the Americans to protect our conquests. We have no way of knowing, at this time, what the people of the Atlantic Republic want and we cannot risk war with the US – an inevitability if we annex territories on their border. It is incredible how successful the Whig led Foreign Ministry has been in turning our ideological and cultural allies in the US against us. We desire peace, cooperation, friendship and an alliance with the US. None of these goals are compatible with attempts to re-conquer Canada.

Foreign Policy:

We should peacefully expand our trading interests in Asia, but without sending thousands of soldiers to die on foreign fields. In Europe we should continue our policy of isolation so that we might avoid becoming involved in the wars of the continent.

The election is now open!

Every reader has one vote and may only vote once per election.

You may vote for:

Conservatives (you may also write Tories)

Whigs

Radicals

Please either bold your vote or place it in a separate post to make it easier for me to count them.

Polls shall close at 12 on Thursday.

Good Luck!

Radicals

Whilst I may not agree with the economic policies of the Radicals, I almost certainly believe that their stance in Foriegn policy is currently the most important. Needless imperialism is no way for a young republic to behave, and we owe it to our own people to give them a time of peace and prosperity.

Whigs

Freedom to vote! Free trade! Freedom for the Atlantic Republic to join glorious Britannia! And free Casus Bellis on the Irish Papists and their seditious popery!

Maybe, but you don't support the domestic tea industry. The Tories do, by proposing to incorporate the tea-growing areas into our nation. And that is very important - can't have Britain without tea, can you?

Radicals

Because we're radical! :D

I do not approve of their complete Pacifism, but they are the party with the most agreeable view on The Atlantic Republic, and North America in general.

Radicals

Furthermore, I believe we should befriend the US and destroy France.

This continuous waging of war, in spite of Britain's current weakness, is absolutely intolerable! Are we not civilized people, with the ability and compassion to care for all citizens, rather than barbarians who cull the poorer classes by sending them to die in a foreign country? Should we not pursue an enlightened state of freedom, wherein every man has the chance to reach his full potential?

Come now, you citizens of Britain! Vote for those who have your interests in mind, rather than those of a small elite!

Vote for the Radicals and a Bright future!

EDIT: Also, is it just me, or does it seem like the Radical-voting pops have the greatest literacy and consciousness? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.