• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Run to the hills!, ermh, I mean north.

Are you planning the old scorched earth?

Well there are a lot of hills up there, and i will be leaving burning Malayan poetry in my wake.

The evil Europeans have arrived!!

Indeed they have, although 'arrived' is a strong word ;)

Two Great powers attacking? I'd look for allies!

Unfortunately with my diplomacy handicap, i get about 1 point a year, which is why i haven't much of a foreign policy at the moment besides stomping sultans. I'm hoping i get sphered at some point, but there has been no influence activity in Khmer. They have sphered the Mughal empire though, they get all the luck...why couldn't i have played as them...

He raises his arms to the sky and proclaims "TO HELL WITH THIS NOISE". The people are confused at first, but rejoice anyway.

Isn't the idea usually to wish confusion on your enemies, not your subjects?

i will be leaving burning Malayan poetry in my wake.

Let's be frank: the best kind of Malayan poetry is the flaming and unread kind.

How could I missed this:)?
Khmer Empire is one of my favourite countries of the DVG world. You better be glad that you play with 0.6.1 because before that version Khmers have only 3 glorious brigades to field (as opposed to neigbouring Taungu with 17:D). Also getting rid of the feudal government is only the first thing to do. To really civilize you need 40 military score and 100 prestige.

Also:
Your writing style is great and witty. And thanks for using the DVG mod. It always warms my heart when I see that someone actually have fun playing it.

Let's be frank: the best kind of Malayan poetry is the flaming and unread kind.

The great poetry fires are a common sight in the capital

How could I missed this:)?
Khmer Empire is one of my favourite countries of the DVG world. You better be glad that you play with 0.6.1 because before that version Khmers have only 3 glorious brigades to field (as opposed to neigbouring Taungu with 17:D).

yeah i noticed the changes, it was a good thing i switched, gave me a nice leg up.

Also getting rid of the feudal government is only the first thing to do. To really civilize you need 40 military score and 100 prestige.

Hmmm i suspected something was up. Are there any new tech requirements as well? I noticed 'the art of business' wasn't included in the decision requirements.

I like the new system as a whole btw its much more interesting to see gradual improvements rather than "BAM your civilized!"

Also:
Your writing style is great and witty. And thanks for using the DVG mod. It always warms my heart when I see that someone actually have fun playing it.

Thanks. Its a fantastic mod i must say. It must have been extra hard given that the divergence points are so far back. I like how the world is so dynamic, it really takes advantage of the game mechanics. Keep up the great work.

Is there an official back story to the Khmer Empire in this timeline?

Hmmm i suspected something was up. Are there any new tech requirements as well? I noticed 'the art of business' wasn't included in the decision requirements.
I like the new system as a whole btw its much more interesting to see gradual improvements rather than "BAM your civilized!"

Thanks. Its a fantastic mod i must say. It must have been extra hard given that the divergence points are so far back. I like how the world is so dynamic, it really takes advantage of the game mechanics. Keep up the great work.

Is there an official back story to the Khmer Empire in this timeline?

You need Enlightenment Thought and Private Banks to civilize.

Kinniken started the mod by the keystone principles (more dynamic, less colonized BUT with more developed non-European countries) and the ideas just went by. For example 0.6.1 is probably the last version featuring the Durrani Empire.
I really enjoy the world, because IMHO the 1836 OTL start date is a bit...boring. There is not much to do in. Of course that it could be improved by having internal affairs of the state more challenging, economy and politics funnier,...before that happens, the DVG is here to provide challenge and diversity.

I have never really thought of the background story but if I need to shape it then:
The Khmer has been just a little bit...more. More aggressive, more stable, more successful. But through the enveloping of the region (neither Ming nor Mughals interested) the entire region stagnated. Also the empire is well behind its zenith at the game start - the north was lost to the progressive Dai Nam, Cham Pa declared independence as well as Ayutthaya revoked its vassal status and the Taungu came knocking a few times.

Btw, how the Congress of Andagoya ended?

5. Good Morning Dai Nam

Its not really in the Khmer character to cower behind the walls while the enemy is at the gate, well not lately anyway. In fact, it seems far more in keeping to ignore them completely. We see their men of war prowling off our shores, you too burgundy.

V2_27.jpg

We can't attack them, but what greater insult for a so called 'great power' then to be ignored when it's attempting to put the fear of god into you. Besides, we have unfinished business.

Dai Nam literally means 'great south'. That may have been true when it still had its Chinese provinces, but Taiping put an end to that. They still cling to this pretense however, despite being dwarfed in power and size to the Khmer Empire. Time at last to take back whats ours; the lost northern provinces of the old empire, and show this upstart that it exists at our suzerainty.

V2_28.jpg

Infamy hasn't had a chance to drop so i'm just going to take back the state that i'm owed for now. It only requires 11 war score. Pok Tong II, Ang Chan and Ang Nom are the generals in charge, with Pok Tong II as over all commander.

They are still allied with Tungning, but as i suspect they are otherwise occupied and don't join. I'll talk about that later in this update.

V2_29.jpg

The Viet army surprises one of the smaller detachments i send out, but its nothing we can't handle. A mere 9000 men to 45,000 Khmer troops.

The strategy seems to have worked

V2_30.jpg

Scandinavia is humiliated into peace. Was there ever any real doubt?
The Viet army is chased into Hai Phang and defeated.

V2_31.jpg

Pok Tong II shows that he has his late fathers aptitude for courage in the face of a severely outnumbered foe. The routing army is cornered in Hanoi where General Pok accepts Tran Buu Lan's surrender.

V2_32.jpg

Once again the king has his war hat on and the Malayans bother him with trifles, this time something about signage. Obviously more writing in Malay would encourage poetry, and that is an atrocity that the king cannot countenance.

V2_33.jpg

Before long the deed is done and Luang Prebang and its long suffering population have returned to the fold.

V2_34.jpg

The war with burgundy may not be over but a national holiday is declare non the less. March 5th is hence forth known as Empire day. A great feast of (due to the blockade) indigenous produce is prepared in Angkor followed by a poetry burning.

Here is the region as it stands in 1843

V2_36.jpg

1, The new Khmer Empire contains not only its historical lands but much more. It even looks like the font is a little bigger...

2, Dai Nam is unfortunately still big enough to have a name on the map, the bigger issue is that i now have a land border with Taiping, something i didn't really consider before.

3, This is why Tungning is out of action. The Taiping alliance consists of Taiping Taungu and Manchu (i think), the small chinese nation centered on Formosa is no match for them. It mainland territory is occupied by taiping while its territory in the philipines is occupied by all 3 members of the alliance. Only the home island is unoccupied.

4, The Mughals invaded and annexed panjab without too much trouble, this is bad news. They have also been sphered by scandinavia.

5, Ming annexed Daxi earlier on in the session. Their army is only about the same size as taiping, but i hope they go to war at some point and break up the alliance.

And especially for xPrussianPrince here is the world map:

V2_MAP_CAM_1843.3.5_1.jpg

Last edited:
You need Enlightenment Thought and Private Banks to civilize.

Kinniken started the mod by the keystone principles (more dynamic, less colonized BUT with more developed non-European countries) and the ideas just went by. For example 0.6.1 is probably the last version featuring the Durrani Empire.
I really enjoy the world, because IMHO the 1836 OTL start date is a bit...boring. There is not much to do in. Of course that it could be improved by having internal affairs of the state more challenging, economy and politics funnier,...before that happens, the DVG is here to provide challenge and diversity.

Pretty solid principles.
I noticed bengal, travancore and tungning are no longer civilized. Did you you make them non-feudal instead as a half way point?

I have never really thought of the background story but if I need to shape it then:
The Khmer has been just a little bit...more. More aggressive, more stable, more successful. But through the enveloping of the region (neither Ming nor Mughals interested) the entire region stagnated. Also the empire is well behind its zenith at the game start - the north was lost to the progressive Dai Nam, Cham Pa declared independence as well as Ayutthaya revoked its vassal status and the Taungu came knocking a few times.

that fits in pretty well with what i was going with, cool. Didn't want to step on anyones toes ;)

Btw, how the Congress of Andagoya ended?

I have no idea, is that the one that decides the break up of Gran Colombia? If so, it stayed intact. They've been dancing around 8th place with japan and aragon. In my one previous game it broke up completely.

I'm surprised Panjab got eaten by the Mughals, I've never seen the Mughals even try it. It sounds like Vijayanagar is the safest of the Indian powers to attack :p.

Bengal, Travancore, Tungning + few other countries start with some bonuses:
They have techs equal to a civilized (though more backward, like Greece) country and they have halved the prestige + military score requirements. Also don't forget that they do not suffer from the Feudal Government modifier. Unfair, isn't it:)?

In my games Mughals and Manchu + sometimes the victor of China often civilize. Then it is fun. (I was playing poor Hanover trying to exert my authority over India and then Bam! and I had civ Mughals at my borders.

Seriously, why burn lots of such great literary works?

Bengal, Travancore, Tungning + few other countries start with some bonuses:
They have techs equal to a civilized (though more backward, like Greece) country and they have halved the prestige + military score requirements. Also don't forget that they do not suffer from the Feudal Government modifier. Unfair, isn't it:)?

Totally unfair :). I'm looking forward to double the money when i give feudalism the boot.

In my games Mughals and Manchu + sometimes the victor of China often civilize. Then it is fun. (I was playing poor Hanover trying to exert my authority over India and then Bam! and I had civ Mughals at my borders.

In the game i played before (on the previous version) mongolia was the first to civilize, they had quite high literacy though, it was up in the 30's in the mid 1800s iirc.

All nations crumble before might of Khmers :D

Without exception

Seriously, why burn lots of such great literary works?

I assume the major divergence point in this mod is the decline of malay poetry, it had wide reaching ramifications across the world.

Edit: On a side note, can anyone suggest the best way to raise my military score? Is there any point in building my standing army or do i just need tech and soldier pops?

Last edited:
Edit: On a side note, can anyone suggest the best way to raise my military score? Is there any point in building my standing army or do i just need tech and soldier pops?

I have never played unciv before, but in Rennslaer's Siam AAR he raised it through building 1st-class ships. IIRC.

I heard about leaders but i didn't know forts contributed. The fastest way to boost it may be to rapidly increase my population. I still wonder if building more or better brigades helps.

There's a lot of conflicting information out there. The strategy guide itself says "Military ranking is based primarily on the number of brigades you have in the field (i.e. not its potential, or in its mobilization pool, but actually deployed)" with a panel above it that says "Your military score is based primarily upon the number of soldiers [sic] POPs you have, and your tech levels".

The latter is true, not the former: if you have 18/20 brigades fielded, fielding the last two won't up your score. Nor, apparently, would disbanding all Japan's irregulars and making guards with those POPs increase Japan's military score.

That said, below a certain ratio of fielded-to-potential brigades a penalty to soldier conversion kicks in. So say you've 10/20 a flat rate malus applies that reduces conversions to soldiers. Because soldier POPs are the biggest force behind military score, you want to convert POPs to the as fast as possible. Thus, it follows that you want to field enough brigades to stay over the threshold (sorry, forget what the threshold is).

Leadership also contributes to military score, apparently; I've read that someone got 40 MIL score as Abu Dhabi largely with leadership points. Presumably they have to be stockpiled rather than consumed in generals and admirals.

For ships, the strategy guide says that ships are factored in but sailing ships are virtually irrelevant. Dreadnoughts substantially increase ranking and Ironclads give a minor bonus. Somewhere else it says that once a ship type is made obsolete it ceases to count toward your score, so once commerce raiders are discovered, men-o-war cease to raise MIL score. Others have said that "heavy" ships contribute but not light. Frigates and Cruisers are light, presumably Commerce Raiders too, but I'm not sure if Ironclads or Monitors are considered light. Nor am I sure if the obsolete thing applies. I've never seen MIL scores suddenly drop across the board, as would be expected if someone introduced ironclads and obsoleted everyone else's men-o-war.

I take the stuff about ships with a grain of salt because I've never seen a dev statement or someone thoroughly playtesting it.

EDIT:

Oh, but mobilizing your forces does increase MIL score for some reason, even though apparently building more brigades doesn't directly raise your MIL score...

Mobilizing is probably useless for your purposes because you usually need a large pool of industrial workers and tech to mobilize any serious number of brigades.

Last edited: