• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What is a doctrine and how do I select them? I just see individual techs in the Technology screen. I hear that a "spearhead" doctrine is good for Germany but I don't know what that is.

What is a doctrine and how do I select them? I just see individual techs in the Technology screen. I hear that a "spearhead" doctrine is good for Germany but I don't know what that is.

Under your tech, at the far right, you have three tabs with air, land and naval doctrines. The represent the training of your units and influence how well they'll do in various situations.

Does air attack against ground units damage org, or only strength?

Besides focusing on moving units, what's the difference between interdiction and ground attack? Does interdiction actually slow units down?

What are the advantages of a successful coup in an already aligned nation? Say, for example, US coup of Germany.

What are the advantages of a successful coup in an already aligned nation? Say, for example, US coup of Germany.

You can't coup faction leaders. :)

Aside from that, if you coup someone already in a faction, they drop out of the faction, get a ruling party that matches your ruling party's ideology, and move much closer to your faction in the faction triangle.

France is fairly easy to coup out of the Allies, actually. That makes WWII rather interesting if Germany does it. :)

You can't coup faction leaders. :)

Aside from that, if you coup someone already in a faction, they drop out of the faction, get a ruling party that matches your ruling party's ideology, and move much closer to your faction in the faction triangle.

France is fairly easy to coup out of the Allies, actually. That makes WWII rather interesting if Germany does it. :)

D'oh, you're right! :rolleyes: Thanks for the info all the same!

How does Straits work in Hoi3? Can I block the the Gibraltar strait by occupying Gibraltar ? What about Suez ?

Yes, you can block straits. Bosporus strait, Øresund/Öresund, Suez and Gibraltar are the ones I know of.

The tend to work strangely if you're not in in a faction. I was playing as Turkey, allied with Romania played by a friend and at piece, and we couldn't move our fleets through Bosporus - this was in SF though, might be fixed now.

questions:
1) Playing Sf with the ussr 1942 and Germany hasn't attacked will they or am i going to have to do it?
2) I have taken Romania and Hungry as puppets and decided to attack Sweden as soon as i do they both try and send most of their armies to help leaving the southern front empty can i stop this?

1) Probably the AI recognizes that you're too strong, in which case it's your call to invade.
2) Try setting allied objectives on provinces to defend, or foreign provinces to prepare against. If you were Axis, you could declare limited war. I don't think there's anything else you can do.

If I understand supply system correctly it makes sense to set up supply convoys to just about every possible port in the direction to the front assuming I have enough convoys and sinking is not too much of a problem? (meaning, as Japan set them up in every Chinese (later Indian) port, as Germany in all ports all the way to the Leningrad..). It always make sense to bring supply closer, even if it is not directly on supply line because sooner or later supply and demand lines somewhere come together.

True or false?

What does the air radar techs do? I fail to see any benefit of them whatsoever. Surface spotting of ships is hard, but air combat seems to take place any time hostile planes are in the same province.

What does the air radar techs do? I fail to see any benefit of them whatsoever. Surface spotting of ships is hard, but air combat seems to take place any time hostile planes are in the same province.
It's mostly to find naval targets in my experience.

Detection values help reduce the night combat penalty too I think, but it's pretty minor. Naval bombers with 6 detection get 6% penalty reduction for example.

Can you refuse a Call to Arms if you're part of a faction?

I'm still learning the basics so I'm choosing to play as the UK in the September 1939 game mode. I really like the mode where you just set objectives for the computer to accomplish; I used it and it took over Portugal nicely though it took the computer about 5 ingame months to do the invasion, it was pretty cool. Regardless, once I put those HQs into computer control, do I need to set as objectives all my important cities? So say I used the British High Command HQ to take Portugal, should I also have it set as objective London, Edinburgh, English Channel, etc etc to make sure it's defended, or will the computer automaitcally do it?

THank you!!