• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello, have question: i'd like just for fun to try a silly game where Italy has the starting capacity of big nations like US or Germany, basically i'd like to give Italy about 220 IC to start (plus war modifier) and about 30-35 leadership, resources are ok, hopefully i can buy them on the market. Problem is im clueless how and where to mod those values and if its even possible? Thanks for the help!

Anyone can help with this?

Is there anyway to avoid HQs being attacked at the frequency it happens? I know of the synchronized arrival of course, but it doesn´t always work, and with panzers it´s really clumsy, since the HQs don´t move with the same speed. Synching also only works with movement to the adjacent zone. I feel it´s pretty unrealistic for an enemy division to turn around the minute they magically spot a lonely HQ in a neighboring province, and attack it, making Guderian and Manstein run around the steppes for weeks with that hated white arrow pointing in the wrong direction. It really takes away some of the mood of the game.

It should be possible to simply attach an HQ to a division, and move with them, all the time.

Well, Manstein didn´t spend July ´41 in Warszaw.

but he didn't fight in the frontline as well. if you always keep divisions between your HQs and the enemy you are fine. or at least keep them in the same province as some of your divisions. what do you think happened in real life when the enemy could simply break through your lines? when you have single HQs under direct fire you have holes in your front.

I understand the sentiment, and I´m grateful for the answer. But how to make a breakthrough then? Manstein in real life just drove straight ahead and was halfway to Leningrad in a few days if I remember correctly, well ahead of the main infantry forces. Of course he didn´t drive at the front of his troops, but he wasn´t far back either. In HOI, when you punch through the enemy, there´s always someone at the sides, unless you get a huge gap, and then you´re playing on a too easy difficulty level anyway, or you just use panzers as luxury units after others have really won the invasion for you.

For me, the moment an HQ is just an hour or so behind the divisions, it gets smacked by an omniscient neighboring enemy, with instant reaction time. That, and the combat delay that´s the same if you fight a protracted battle, or just run over 3 guys in a jeep, is the most annoying features in what is otherwise a very nice game.

The short version, if I don´t have holes in my front, I´m playing WW1, not Blitzkrieg.

I understand the sentiment, and I´m grateful for the answer. But how to make a breakthrough then? Manstein in real life just drove straight ahead and was halfway to Leningrad in a few days if I remember correctly, well ahead of the main infantry forces. Of course he didn´t drive at the front of his troops, but he wasn´t far back either. In HOI, when you punch through the enemy, there´s always someone at the sides, unless you get a huge gap, and then you´re playing on a too easy difficulty level anyway, or you just use panzers as luxury units after others have really won the invasion for you.

the general and the HQ are not the same. the entire HQ itself was certainly not directly attacking.

For me, the moment an HQ is just an hour or so behind the divisions, it gets smacked by an omniscient neighboring enemy, with instant reaction time. That, and the combat delay that´s the same if you fight a protracted battle, or just run over 3 guys in a jeep, is the most annoying features in what is otherwise a very nice game.
if your HQ wouldn't be in that province what do you think would happen? the enemy would simply conquer the province and cut of your troops. you have basically big holes in your front! without the HQ the situation would be even worse because they cause the enemy to stop due to the attack delay otherwise they would starting conquering even more provinces in all directions and your entire army would have to turn back and your supply network will fall apart. never let a province facing an enemy undefended!

I´m not sure I agree the HQ getting attacked constitutes a defense, albeit weak, of a province that would be attacked anyway. Quite often a province stands empty for a long time, after I´ve removed the defenders. Then by some chance, the HQ arrives literally 3 hours ahead of three panzer divisions, and at that very moment, one of the neighboring divisions attacks and routs the HQ. It´s obvious they attack with the goal of doing just that, not an effort at the province. In literally no time, the enemy from a province on the other side of a huge city say, gets knowledge of an HQ entering, attacks it, and sends it packing, right before the main force arrives and kicks their behind.

I guess there´s no real solution to this now, so I´ll just live with it. The easy answer would be, as mentioned, to be able to attach the HQ to a fighting division, and move with them. In real life, different parts of a large combat unit doesn´t get magically teleported to the next province, separating the unit.

I´m not sure I agree the HQ getting attacked constitutes a defense, albeit weak, of a province that would be attacked anyway. Quite often a province stands empty for a long time, after I´ve removed the defenders. Then by some chance, the HQ arrives literally 3 hours ahead of three panzer divisions, and at that very moment, one of the neighboring divisions attacks and routs the HQ. It´s obvious they attack with the goal of doing just that, not an effort at the province. In literally no time, the enemy from a province on the other side of a huge city say, gets knowledge of an HQ entering, attacks it, and sends it packing, right before the main force arrives and kicks their behind.

I guess there´s no real solution to this now, so I´ll just live with it. The easy answer would be, as mentioned, to be able to attach the HQ to a fighting division, and move with them. In real life, different parts of a large combat unit doesn´t get magically teleported to the next province, separating the unit.

in semper fi HQs could fight. wouldn't make any difference though because a HQ alone still lost within minutes and your province was lost. to be fair if you are letting parts of your front undefended it would be extremely stupid from the AI not to exploit your mistakes.

A small misundertanding; in these cases it´s not necessarily about leaving the front undefended. It happens when I attack the front, beat the enemy and then use some time to arrive in the sector. In all this time, the enemy does nothing. Then my HQ arrives 3 hours before the main force, and at that very instant, the enemy counters, beats my HQ and then gets its butt kicked by my main guys.

And again, performing blitzkrieg necessitates some holes in the front during breakthroughs, otherwise I could simply just use infantry, 1914 style. How does one do large encirclements by two panzer forces around the enemy, while keeping the HQs safe? That´s really my question. The HQ can´t just lag behind a bit, because there are enemies to the side all the way, and if they lag behind for 1 hour, they get attacked.

A small misundertanding; in these cases it´s not necessarily about leaving the front undefended. It happens when I attack the front, beat the enemy and then use some time to arrive in the sector. In all this time, the enemy does nothing. Then my HQ arrives 3 hours before the main force, and at that very instant, the enemy counters, beats my HQ and then gets its butt kicked by my main guys.

And again, performing blitzkrieg necessitates some holes in the front during breakthroughs, otherwise I could simply just use infantry, 1914 style. How does one do large encirclements by two panzer forces around the enemy, while keeping the HQs safe? That´s really my question. The HQ can´t just lag behind a bit, because there are enemies to the side all the way, and if they lag behind for 1 hour, they get attacked.

you can always leave divisions in every province facing the enemy. nobody would be so stupid to leave the flank open anyway and your other problem can be solved by not attacking with a HQ in the first wave because that is a bad idea anyway.
you do know that you are not forced to move all divisions in one province at once?

Actually, using HQs to hold provinces could be considered an exploit: they don't fight, and must retreat, but they do force the attacker to reorganise, which might leave them vulnerable to a counterattack or an envelopment. Of course, you could try the same thing with a unit that can defend itself, inflict some losses, and participate in the counterattack, but HQs are "almost free", so allowing you to concentrate your forces in areas of more vital importance.

On a related note, I don't think it's always a bad move to leave an opening for an enemy to "exploit"; you might e.g. attempt to lure an enemy force away from the security of a fort or difficult terrain into a more exposed position. Too bad the AI isn't very good at taking the possibility of a crippling counterattack into account when it advances into opne ground...

Actually, using HQs to hold provinces could be considered an exploit: they don't fight, and must retreat, but they do force the attacker to reorganise, which might leave them vulnerable to a counterattack or an envelopment. Of course, you could try the same thing with a unit that can defend itself, inflict some losses, and participate in the counterattack, but HQs are "almost free", so allowing you to concentrate your forces in areas of more vital importance.

thats why it has been changed.

On a related note, I don't think it's always a bad move to leave an opening for an enemy to "exploit"; you might e.g. attempt to lure an enemy force away from the security of a fort or difficult terrain into a more exposed position. Too bad the AI isn't very good at taking the possibility of a crippling counterattack into account when it advances into opne ground...

yes, but that is different from having the attempted breakthrough cut off because you neglected to protect your own front.

Playing as Germany, FTM 3.05:

#1 Are there events/decisions for attacking Denmark/Norway and Yugoslavia? Or do I just declare whenever?
I've looked in the 'decisions' folder, but that doesn't seem to contain all decisions.

#2 on a similar note, I think I read somewhere about a 'Drang nach Osten' event/decision for Germany with regards to USSR. Can anyone point me to that or give a broad outline of what it is and does? Or does no such thing exist?