• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, I would buy it (I was actually given the HoI 3 Collection as a Christmas gift by my younger brother, who is not as attached to his money as I am to mine). I don't often buy games (at least not new or within the initial release period; more likely after the price has "cooled"), but with foreknowledge I would definitely buy HoI 3 if I were in the market for a WW2 grand strategy game.
Just a heads-up, my copy of the "Collection" edition didn't include a physical manual. Not sure if this is normal (when I got Victoria 2 the previous year... again, a present; I'm starting to wonder if my brother has bought shares in Paradox ;) ...it included a slender "Tech Guide" which didn't actually list the research options as you might have though, but gave descriptions of the different pop and industry types).

. I don't often buy games (at least not new or within the initial release period; more likely after the price has "cooled"),

Glad to know I am not the only guy who waits for GotY editions or a year after the game is out (from a quash bug perspective or flash in the pan perspective...witness bulletstorm and other games that had huge press but hardly ever heard from anymore) I will look around some then for a physical game manual or pay kinkos to print up a one off of the pdf file.

If I do not ANY AI, is there any benefit of having more than one theatre? As Germany I start with two, but I don't have two equally good commanders, one is slightly better so wouldn't I get more benefits having just one theatre? Or am I missing something?

If I do not ANY AI, is there any benefit of having more than one theatre? As Germany I start with two, but I don't have two equally good commanders, one is slightly better so wouldn't I get more benefits having just one theatre? Or am I missing something?
One large theatre is fine, as long as you can manage to keep all sub levels within range.

Since I might get the game, I'd like to ask; is it possible to play after 1948? Supposedly, that's the end date for the game, but I've heard of players playing past it, well into the 1960s for example.

It is possible to change the "End date" to something later than 1948 but I'm not sure if it would cause any problems or not. . .

What is the max range for the theatre command?

2000km

As Germany, you could easily get along with one theatre in the beginning. I would not do it though, because when when you're deep enough in Asia, you'd need a second theatre anyway. It is just too much hassle to remove a theatre and after a couple of years ingame to create it again (and assign provinces to it!).

Since I might get the game, I'd like to ask; is it possible to play after 1948? Supposedly, that's the end date for the game, but I've heard of players playing past it, well into the 1960s for example.

Possible by editing one of the txt files, but I wouldn't do so since the tech three isn't appropriate and some bug may occur. Some Mods have an extended time line, maybe you should try one of them.

Question about combat width :
I don't understand the wiki :

Frontage is a basic 10, plus an additional 5 per additional direction of attack beyond the first.

As far as I know, 12 INF Divisions can fight in a front, from one provincen to another, so if the wiki is right, only 10 Divisions should be able to join the fight (since INF has a combat width of 1).
Did I miss something ?

Possible by editing one of the txt files, but I wouldn't do so since the tech three isn't appropriate and some bug may occur. Some Mods have an extended time line, maybe you should try one of them.

Question about combat width :
I don't understand the wiki :

As far as I know, 12 INF Divisions can fight in a front, from one provincen to another, so if the wiki is right, only 10 Divisions should be able to join the fight (since INF has a combat width of 1).
Did I miss something ?
You can exceed the combat width in some situations: say if you have three divisions of 3xINF on a front, for a total width of 9, you could bring another whole division (even five tanks (width 10 without spearhead tactic) in from reserve. If, in the same situation, you had a division with width 1, as soon as that joined you wouldn't be able to exceed the frontage.

So, the frontage limit is a "soft" cap, of sorts. Also, some combat events (iirc encirclement and tactical withdrawal) modify frontage when they occur.

... Are the aditional units removed from battle to reserve ?

Yes.

Be aware not to mistake brigades for divisions. The frontage is valid for unit width, which is 3 in case of a division of 3 Inf brigades. The frontline is filled up with divisions as long as the combined width of the units that already in the frontline does not exceed frontage. That means for instance when 3 divisions are there that are in total 9 wide, not exceeding 10, another division can go forward. This is how it happens that units with 12 width populate a frontage that is 'only' 10.

Are Ukraine, Belarus, Azerbaijan, etc includes?

Also, why is occupying not enough, what if it's too hard / takes too long to own the provinces :S I liked the hoi2 mechanic better. Is there a way to change this?

i don't know since released puppets are useless anyway. you can't change it and you have to own the territory because you can hardly gift territory somebody else still owns.

Yes.

Be aware not to mistake brigades for divisions. The frontage is valid for unit width, which is 3 in case of a division of 3 Inf brigades. The frontline is filled up with divisions as long as the combined width of the units that already in the frontline does not exceed frontage. That means for instance when 3 divisions are there that are in total 9 wide, not exceeding 10, another division can go forward. This is how it happens that units with 12 width populate a frontage that is 'only' 10.
Correct, but I think the +5 combat width lasts even after the initiating combat event (Encirclement) "expires"... it's countered by the Tactical Withdrawal event (-5). Pretty sure, anyway... otherwise it would be a very narrow window for an extra division or two to squeeze in when "Encirclement" fires, given the (usually very low) reinforcement chance. Assuming that extra units don't automatically jump in from reserve to exploit an Encirclement, anyway.

[edit]

QUESTION:
I've just conquered Nat. China with SU after they forced Communist China to go GiE (they were in the Comintern). Now, obviously I don't want to keep all of rebel-ridden China for myself when an ally could control it more efficiently: how do I get the Chinese territories to liberate to Comm. China control?
Currently my options are to liberate Communist China: in which case, they get only what they started with, or
Create puppet in Nationalist China and Shanxi: which would offload the provinces I don't care about governing myself, but I'd rather they went to my fellow "pinkos".

On a related note: the Manchu-owned territories taken by N.Chi and Shanxi during their war with Japan (in which I participated) went to German occupation/control when I conquered each of them. This looks ridiculous. Considering that I was at war with Manchukuo as well, and I conquered each of Shanxi and N.Chi, would it be not entirely unreasonable to decree that their captured lands went over to me? I think I could cheat the province controller, but where can I find the correct province IDs?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
I really really like the idea with bigger ports. I just wish you would adress the supply system so that when I invade china (for example) and continue to India Im supplied by the ports closest to my troops. Its retarded that I have to supply my troops in India through Shanghai when I have several huge ports much closer.