• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm starting a game as Hungary. I've decided that my army will be comprised of Infantry divisions of 3 INF and 1-2 R ART.

What I am trying to do now is think of what will my armored divisions be comprised of. The purpose of these guys is to punch a hole whenever the infantry get bogged down by the enemy. I have decided that MOT, MEC, HARM, and SHARM cost way too much in research to be viable options. Right now I am considering a base of 3 ARM brigades, but I don't know what to use with it. I am considering SP Art or SP R Art. Which would be a wiser choice or is there something I could completely improve on? I plan to lower my neutrality, join Axis, and annex Yugoslavia, Romania, and Bulgaria (maybe Greece if italy is too slow) and help out the other Axis powers (Germany in Russia, Italy in Africa)

Paglia pretty muched summed it up. You will be leadership capped, hard. Even with your conquests. My current game as Romania, I am struggling to keep up to date with infantry techs/doctrines, with just a dabble of effort into the Industrial screen. IC won't be too much of an issue, because what is worth it to build will be limited by your crappy research. Try to conserve some MP to build stuff you are researching to help with practicals. But if you stay up to date with infantry tech and doctrine, and try to research the +IC tech/agriculture/casualty trickleback/artillery techs as you can, you will find you have nothing left over for basic armor/rocket artillery techs, much less the doctrines needed to make your armor halfway decent after 1941 or so. With your conquests, you might at most get to 8 or so leadership.

Your option is to buy the tech from Germany as Paglia mentioned, but your doctrines will still suck. Same goes for any airforce you will want to build.

But be wary, that if you join the Axis too soon, the threat from your conquests may push the world to war quicker, which will hurt your chances to win. I would align to the Axcis but stay out until you are done conquering your neighbors. Then join the Axis once Germany invades Poland. Any luck, they will not issue a call to arms until Barabrossa so you can avoid British invasions, although the bonus from hitting service by requirement sooner may be worth it to hassle with the British invading the former Yugoslavia. Especially if your army is halfway decent.

What will happen to Korea, taken by Nationalist China from Japan, when Japan surrenders to USA? Will China keep occupied territory even if it was not selected as war goal (because it can't be)

Best unit to attach to a 2xMnt?
Marines and mountaineers are worthwhile building because they have good modifiers in certain terrains and situations. Other brigades, especially most support brigades, have horrendous modifiers in for example amphibious landings and mountains. Attaching anything to specialized infantry thus negates the very advantages you built them for and you are pretty much stuck with expensive infantry.

However, you might actually want something like expensive infantry. I sometimes add either engineers or rocket artillery, both brigades with relatively good terrain modifiers, to make my specialized infantry a bit more all-round. Lets face it, I aren't going to fight in mountains or on the beaches that often. And if I really need to, I can always remove the support brigades temporarily.

I have two independent brigades (built as such and then deployed as such.) Any way I can merge them to form a division or add them to an existing division?

Just get them in the same province, select and merge them to form a division of 2 brigades. Or put one in the same province as a division with some room left*), select and merge them.

* Number of brigades is capped to 4 in a division, unless you research to increase that number to 5. So, if you have a division with 4 brigades and you want to add a new brigade, 1st, you need to take out 1 of the brigade currently in the division, to make some room for the new one.

Some constraints:

- division/brigade can't be moving when you try to merge/unmerge
- units must have a certain level of organization (if they have an red "X" shown, they can't merge or unmerge)

Where do you find those nice button to merge/unmerge ?

When you click on a division, a popup appear, showing all the details relating to that particular division. Move your mouse pointer over every button shown in the popup. One of them is the unmerging button (2 arrows pointing away from each other). Click and just make the adjustement you want to make.

When you click on two units (division, brigades, etc.), a popup appear, showing the selected divisions. Move your mouse pointer over every button shown in the popup. One of them is the merging button (2 arrows pointing toward each other). Click and just make the adjustement you want to make.

Last edited:
I'm playing the latest version of FtM/DiG as Germany from 1936.
On a lark, I decided to do Barbarossa in early 1940. I'm looking to knock the SU out of the game. (I'm aware that some might consider this gamey). I have not invaded France or the Low Countries, Italy is part of the Axis, and Nat China is kicking Japan's rear.

1. Will Bitter Peace still fire? (does not rely on Paris having fallen, etc)
2. Are there other important events that this will mess up?

Does the provinces defend themselves against planes with the anti-air guns they have within the province even when there isn't any unit in that province?

yes

On Semper Fi, I'm playing as USA and Japan have not attacked me well into 1942.. my neutrality is going down slower than anything and I'm kind of stuck in 'peacetime' unable to really build anything of massive interest, unable to join Allies and unable to really do anything at all.

Should I be worried? what can i do?

For FTM, does Japan still only get some minor crumbs when being in the AXIS and the bitter peace fires, as it did in Vanilla HOI3?
Thanks

QUESTION 1: Leadership modifier for Admirals and Air Marshals

Hello, in the rulebook (p.63-64), you can read :

"Leader Traits and Skill also provide bonuses. The Skill rating of Commanders at each level affects a different aspect of the units. For each level up the chain of command, the bonus applied for every unit is only half of the previous level, and so a Division Commander’s Division gets the full benefit, while a Corps Commander only provides half that bonus, but provides it to every Unit under his command. If there are five Leaders in the chain of command, a Division could theoretically benefit from five bonuses, which on a practical level would equal nearly two full bonuses once all the halving is subtracted out. Skilled Leaders can modify the level at which a unit will Shatter."

How does this translates for Air Marshals and Admirals ?

A 1-star gives 100% bonus (e.g. 6 ships or less),a 2-stars 50% bonus (12 ships), and so on ???

QUESTION 2: Strait and Forts

In the rulebook (p.24), you can read :

"Coastal Fort – As with Land Forts, Coastal Forts protect the defender from casualties and organisation loss because they reduce the attacker’s Efficiency. Coastal Forts can only defend against Amphibious attacks."

"Straits – A wider body of water at a seashore which causes significant delay to movement, but which can be crossed by ferry or boat, and which does not require Land Units to board Transport Ships to cross.
(...)"

My question is: do you need to build a coastal forts to protect against a strait crossing or a just standard fort ? I ask because when you cross a strait, you have amphibious penalty for combat... but it does not necessarily means that it is an amphibious invasion per se... as the text seems to suggest it is movement, thus you would need a standard fort to increase your defensiveness against a strait crossing...

Last edited:
How does this translates for Air Marshals and Admirals ?

A 1-star gives 100% bonus (e.g. 6 ships or less),a 2-stars 50% bonus (12 ships), and so on ???
Since you can't put them in the land HQ hierarchy their bonus is not effected. As the manual states it's dependent on the level in the command chain and they are always in direct control of the fleet/air-fleet so they give full bonus.

What does happen is that they gain XP slower at higher level, and lose their bonus if they are to low level for the number off ships/airwings commanded.

My question is: do you need to build a coastal forts to protect against a strait crossing or a just standard fort ? I ask because when you cross a strait, you have amphibious penalty for combat... but it does not necessarily means that it is an amphibious invasion per se... as the text seems to suggest it is movement, thus you would need a standard fort to increase your defensiveness against a strait crossing...
Not 100% sure, but I remember testing it along time ago and have a vague memory of landforts being the answer.