• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do we have a Hearts of Iron III cool screenshots thread?

And why do SHBB's suck so much? I finished one and named it KMS Adolf Hitler, seeing as it'd be the only ship big enough for his ego, but I was kind of disappointed when I compared it to Bismarck and realized almost all of its stats are actually worse.

SHBB were kind of nonsense and yes somewhere is such a thread.

From the looks of things SHBB don't get tech upgrades so after a while regular Battleships will out perform.

My own question - how do I get Nationalist Spain and Portugal to join the Axis as Germany? They are in range for being invited to faction but the response says impossible. Do I need to be at war with France first?

Invade England or capture Gibraltar, then they'll consider it. Or, if you're unscrupulous, switch into Nationalist Spain and Portugal and use noneutrality with each of them...they'll join right after that.

Hi, Im using USA and in war with japan i could take all his provinces but i couldn't take the 3 little isles that are near north of Iwo jima because the infrastructure is very low there, and they don't have port or air base either. So I'm not able to annex or finish the war with japan because i don't have all his provinces under my control

Hi, Im using USA and in war with japan i could take all his provinces but i couldn't take the 3 little isles that are near north of Iwo jima because the infrastructure is very low there, and they don't have port or air base either. So I'm not able to annex or finish the war with japan because i don't have all his provinces under my control

If they don't have infrastructure they won't have any victory points and wouldn't add anything to japans surrender progress.

Well, when i took half of japan isle, japan already surrendered but im still at war with them and i dont have any choise to annex or finish the war with them keeping what i took from them, i know i probably cant annex them because their government escaped to an ally province.

I'm starting a game as Hungary. I've decided that my army will be comprised of Infantry divisions of 3 INF and 1-2 R ART.

What I am trying to do now is think of what will my armored divisions be comprised of. The purpose of these guys is to punch a hole whenever the infantry get bogged down by the enemy. I have decided that MOT, MEC, HARM, and SHARM cost way too much in research to be viable options. Right now I am considering a base of 3 ARM brigades, but I don't know what to use with it. I am considering SP Art or SP R Art. Which would be a wiser choice or is there something I could completely improve on? I plan to lower my neutrality, join Axis, and annex Yugoslavia, Romania, and Bulgaria (maybe Greece if italy is too slow) and help out the other Axis powers (Germany in Russia, Italy in Africa)

Last edited:
Is there a way to quickly select all the units belonging to one corps? When they are not in the same province, with units belonging to other corps in between them?

Click on any member of the Corps. Click on the header where that Division's Corps HQ is listed. That switches your selection to the Corps HQ itself. Now click on the green bar below the Corps HQ info (just above the list of Divisions). That multi-selects the entire Corps, including the HQ and all attached Divisions.

How does underground resistance work?

They deploy in occupied provinces. Then they build up strength. They can spawn a partisan brigade in a random nearby location for .5 strength or create another resistance nearby (if possible) for 1 strength. Keep in mind that partisans take over provinces, so you'll lose any resistances wherever they appear. I suggest having them auto-spread for a few months, click the resistance in Politics screen, repeat.

how do I reduce enemy forts in a province, which air operation is it?

Installation strike.

Can someone explain war goals or no war goals?
In my case as Germany attacking Denmark. Set war goal as conquer. Once war is finished I see Denmark in Politics tab as an occupied country with collaboration government policy.
Reload, same war no touching war goals. war is finished, Denmark is annexed. It does not show in Politics tab at all.
So which of these is better, IC, manpower, leadership, resource wise?
Playing DIG if it matters.

Can someone explain war goals or no war goals?
In my case as Germany attacking Denmark. Set war goal as conquer. Once war is finished I see Denmark in Politics tab as an occupied country with collaboration government policy.
Reload, same war no touching war goals. war is finished, Denmark is annexed. It does not show in Politics tab at all.
So which of these is better, IC, manpower, leadership, resource wise?
Playing DIG if it matters.
If you've enforced the wargoal (conquer), all of Denmark's territory should come under your direct control (excepting provinces that were taken by your allies, in my experience... which can be annoying). If they're still "occupied", the government has probably gone into exile.
I think you generally get better IC, resource, etc. returns from enforcing a conquer wargoal than leaving territory as "under occupation", but you swap partisans (affected by suppression) for nationalists (not affected by suppression :mad:); not that you seem to have a choice (whenever I DoW someone myself, rather than being dragged in due to alliances etc., I have to name a wargoal up-front).
As far as I am able to tell, a war cannot be "concluded" without activating a wargoal (or by signing a peace).

On a related note: If Italy has bits of territory that wasn't orginally his, and is now occupied in places by Greece and UK, what happens when:
Someone (e.g. Greece) enforces a conquer wargoal,
or,
a puppet nation wargoal,
on him? Presumably Italian territory is divided amongst occupiers for "conquer", does this include Italy's previous conquests? And if puppeted, does Italy keep everything, and pay tribute to the nation who targetted the wargoal?

When do "conquered-conquered" nations, as in this example, Albania or parts of Yugoslavia and Bulgaria, reform, if they ever do?

Cheers.

Bonus question: Playing as Allied Greece with "responsibility" for Serbia, Albania, Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey. It's 1943 and USSR is in control of more or less all of Central and Western Europe, dropping conquer and puppet wargoals left, right and centre (the first US divisions have arrived in... Africa, already occupied by UK, and together are marching around Tunisia and Libya doing not much of anything). France is now a Soviet puppet, the area once occupied by the Vichy government became "Germany" through some strange combination of the Free France wargoal and USA trying to conquer it(?!). Is there any way I can save myself, or at least, the world, from Supercommunistland?

Last edited:
I'm thinking of starting a Japan game and was wondering if the bug with USA carriers being without CAGs been fixed or not.
I have FTM 3.05 installed.

edit: And what are the major bugs that are still not fixed?

how do I reduce enemy forts in a province, which air operation is it?

mouse over the missons you get when using a tac bomber and right clicking on the provience, there should be a tooltip that appears and tells you what they hit. it should be something like Instillation attack

I'm thinking of starting a Japan game and was wondering if the bug with USA carriers being without CAGs been fixed or not.
I have FTM 3.05 installed.

edit: And what are the major bugs that are still not fixed?

the biggest bug is that there is no Community map pack yet... COME on 3.06!!!!

Last edited:
Installation strike.
mouse over the missons you get when using a tac bomber and right clicking on the provience, there should be a tooltip that appears and tells you what they hit. it should be something like Instillation attack
And here I was sure that you couldn't bomb forts with any of the missions I've tried. Did this change recently?

I'm starting a game as Hungary. (...) What I am trying to do now is think of what will my armored divisions be comprised of. The purpose of these guys is to punch a hole whenever the infantry get bogged down by the enemy. I have decided that MOT, MEC, HARM, and SHARM cost way too much in research to be viable options. Right now I am considering a base of 3 ARM brigades, but I don't know what to use with it. I am considering SP Art or SP R Art. Which would be a wiser choice or is there something I could completely improve on? I plan to lower my neutrality, join Axis, and annex Yugoslavia, Romania, and Bulgaria (maybe Greece if italy is too slow) and help out the other Axis powers (Germany in Russia, Italy in Africa)

I played Romania in couple of Solo and MP games and, once facing the same issue, I went for the following for each division:

1 Medium ARM... that I bought from the German player (PzIII, once they are available trough the Diplomatic menu "Lend lease")
2 LARM
1 MOT... that I bought from either the German, the Italian or the Japanese player (trough the Diplomatic menu "Lend lease").

Main issues: your leadership is low

Going that route doesn't affect your tech tree too much as you only have to sustain a couple of upgrades in your LARM tree. If you go another route, you'll need to developp all those techs (MOT, MARM, etc.). So you can concentrate your leadership on core tech.

ART: if you pick ART, check the speed of wathever you'll put in... they might slow you down. Also, not sure the impact on your combined arm bonus. MOT gives you the softness, same goes for the Tank destroyer brigade. Unless I'm mistyaken, ART won't give you the softness you need. Also, ART r (e.g. rocket ?) means you will developp that specific tech.

What are all the ways of lowering neutrality? because i seem to just get completely stuck in neutrality all the time or it would just lower so slow its basicly pointless.

Increase the threat of the neighbors you want to hit (best results at 10 spies in those countries)
Increase your own threat (best results at 10 spies in your country)
Align and join a faction