• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
industrial capacity placement:

are there any benefits from stacking it up to ten in comparison to ten places with one ic?
any boni from resources on the tile or doesn't it matter?
any boni from nuclear reactors or infrastructure points?

thank you for your answers!

industrial capacity placement:

are there any benefits from stacking it up to ten in comparison to ten places with one ic?
any boni from resources on the tile or doesn't it matter?
any boni from nuclear reactors or infrastructure points?

thank you for your answers!
Where you place IC doesn't matter anything for its yield. For protection from bombing it can be important though, either you can spread it out to not give bombers easy targets and speed up repairs, or you can concentrate it for easier protection with interceptors/AA.

Infrastructure points make other buildings repair faster (Including IC).

Where you place IC doesn't matter anything for its yield. For protection from bombing it can be important though, either you can spread it out to not give bombers easy targets and speed up repairs, or you can concentrate it for easier protection with interceptors/AA.

Infrastructure points make other buildings repair faster (Including IC).

Infrastructure improves reorg rate of units in the province and improves strategic redeployment speeds and supply throughput

IC will improve local supply generate when supply production is occuring in the production screen.

Reactors improve energy generation in the province

Is it possible to "break up the Soviet Union" in HOI 3? There's no country files for Ukraine, Belarus, etc., so I imagine it isn't, but maybe you folks know something I don't.

Along those lines, do any mods offer this capability?

Bumping this; seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle :)

What nation are you playing as? If you are italy against france the AI is going to be too scared to move on the main front due to mountains+forts. Either wait for germany to move in up north or grind down the manpower with bad fighting conditions. France usually falls due to luxembourg and belgium being unprepared so just sit back and wait for france to start panickingand pulling troops off the southern wall.

Great answers on Infra, Alex, Katie. Thanks!

Q: How does a player nation become a GiE? Is this influenced by anything the player can do before being curbstomped, e.g. if there are any active resistance cells, or if I have troops in supply (e.g. abroad, not in hostile-controlled territory)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
What nation are you playing as? If you are italy against france the AI is going to be too scared to move on the main front due to mountains+forts. Either wait for germany to move in up north or grind down the manpower with bad fighting conditions. France usually falls due to luxembourg and belgium being unprepared so just sit back and wait for france to start panickingand pulling troops off the southern wall.

Yes, I am italy. I have Spain (my real life home) as my ally and they are pushing into France in the south but the problem is the germans are fighting to take British india and barely progressing into france so i am alone.

I am just not sure I am making the orders right. Is that the proper way to order attack on country, by clicking on cities as objectives? What are the invasion plans button for?

Thanks so much :laugh:

If you are in a faction then you will be GIE, if you are independent then its game over.

Yes, I am italy. I have Spain (my real life home) as my ally and they are pushing into France in the south but the problem is the germans are fighting to take British india and barely progressing into france so i am alone.

I am just not sure I am making the orders right. Is that the proper way to order attack on country, by clicking on cities as objectives? What are the invasion plans button for?

Thanks so much :laugh:

I don't play with AI's cause they won't act on your orders if they are facing forts or rivers, your army is sitting with a lineof forts in front of them. They won't break through unless you manually force them to without AI control or if you can transport troops to the north in belgium or south to spains front. AI control is overly cautious for combat.

If you are in a faction then you will be GIE, if you are independent then its game over.
Cheers. I got booted as Greece in the Allies when Germany walked into Salonica and, err, power-walked, into Athens... my remaining armies were swept away when the AI forced a surrender; caught behind "enemy" lines, I guess... would I be correct in assuming that you require some active (land?) units in order to form a GiE? It seems you can begin as a GiE in a historical/scenario start, yet not have any units; is it only conditional at the time of your territories' surrender? Do active underground resistance cells (not partisans) cound as "controllable units" in this respect, i.e. can they enable a player to go GiE even if no armies remain?

Cheers.

Also, is there any way to "evacuate" fleeing (or fighting) units onto a transport, e.g. based in the port attached to the territory they were defending? Am I obliged to make the choice of fighting for a port territory and probably losing the army as it retreats higgledy-piggledy, or saving the army and ceding the port? Retreating amphibious invaders, when beaten, go back to their ships, I've noticed... can units otherwise embark without a port?

Cheers. I got booted as Greece in the Allies when Germany walked into Salonica and, err, power-walked, into Athens... my remaining armies were swept away when the AI forced a surrender; caught behind "enemy" lines, I guess... would I be correct in assuming that you require some active (land?) units in order to form a GiE? It seems you can begin as a GiE in a historical/scenario start, yet not have any units; is it only conditional at the time of your territories' surrender? Do active underground resistance cells (not partisans) cound as "controllable units" in this respect, i.e. can they enable a player to go GiE even if no armies remain?

Cheers.

Also, is there any way to "evacuate" fleeing (or fighting) units onto a transport, e.g. based in the port attached to the territory they were defending? Am I obliged to make the choice of fighting for a port territory and probably losing the army as it retreats higgledy-piggledy, or saving the army and ceding the port? Retreating amphibious invaders, when beaten, go back to their ships, I've noticed... can units otherwise embark without a port?

The only time that doesn't happen is in the case of acquire territory. It will kill denmark outright but only a player would use acquire territory on them and the AI won't choose it ever.

To retreat onto a transport the ship needs to be in a sea zone.

The only time that doesn't happen is in the case of acquire territory. It will kill denmark outright but only a player would use acquire territory on them and the AI won't choose it ever.

Cheers.

Weird about the GiE, though: this was AI Germany enforcing a generic conquer/annex wargoal, afaik; assuming my armies suddenly dying didn't have anything to do with denying me the ability to continue, I don't know why I wasn't allowed to go on as a GiE.

On the subject of Acquire Territory wargoals: what governs which territories can be warred for/claimed? I had thought that it might be restricted to territories to which you (or a puppet) fancy a claim (I have puppetted Bulgaria, can war with Yugoslavia for... most of Yugoslavia, by the looks of things, and Bulgaria has a "claim" in at least some of her territories), but I can also war with Romania for some place quite out-of-the-way, and not for the regions to which Bulgaria actually does lay claim; ditto Persia, for Western Central Russia, and Italy, for loads.
tl;dr, Why can't I war with Turkey for Istanbul, or Romania for its Oil Refinery strat. resource?

Follow-up: if I puppet Romania, will it give me the benefit of the Oil Refinery?

Thanks again :)

you can edit in acquire territory wargoals but I forget where it is and it requires some magically leaps of knowing commands and variables that aren't listed in the file you edit in.

Actually it's even harder then that.

From what I have seen, to be able to retreat to ships in a seazone the following criteria must be fullfilled:

1.) There is enough transports in the seazone for the units weight.
2.) The transports are not in combat.
3.) There can be no other possible land retreat routes (even unprotected enemy landprovinces count!).
4.) It's not possible to retreat manually with units invovled in combat, the retreat is automatic as the units lose the battle.

I can also note that it is possible to retreat to ships at sea manually if neither of the units are engaged in combat, just hold ctrl and the move as if the seazone was a land province.

You can actually perform a massive complex sea invasion to the qindao penninsula in china from dalian using all the transport ships seperated into tiny fleets in the two sea provinces neighboring dalian plant, when you tell the units in dalian to attack the various coastal provinces they will walk over the sea zones like they were land, since the chinese navy is in the third sea zone in the port at qingdao, you can lock their fleet and make the invasion go off without any hiccups. The one issue is that once the unit is on a tiny transport fleet you have to reissue its order to attack the coast of qingdao.