• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quick Question: Why can't I install August storm?
I did what it said in the readme file:
1/Duplicate your vanilla game ( patched with: 2.04f for MiniStorm / FTM 3.05 for August Storm )
2/Delete the "History" folder from the duplicated folder
3/Copy the August Storm/MiniStorm files in the duplicated folder, replace the vanilla files when asked
4/Create a shortcut in your directory
5/Delete the contents of Map/cache
6/Load/exit
7/Reload again and verify the checksum
8/Enjoy!

did everything up to 6.i created a shortcut of the .exe file in the duplicate, that now has the mod installed. I deleted all of the content that was in map/cache. Then i try to start the game and i get an error saying that the application could not be executed, d3dx9_42.dll was not found. Help!
And what the hell does "Load/exit" mean?

Last edited:

You should register HOI3 and post this in the August Storm forum.

Then i try to start the game and i get an error saying that the application could not be executed, d3dx9_42.dll was not found. Help!

There is a sticky in the Tech Support forum that resolves this - it's *not* a problem with the MOD. Again, you'll need to register the game to access it.

Last edited:
I did what it said in the readme file:
1/Duplicate your vanilla game ( patched with: 2.04f for MiniStorm / FTM 3.05 for August Storm )
2/Delete the "History" folder from the duplicated folder
3/Copy the August Storm/MiniStorm files in the duplicated folder, replace the vanilla files when asked
4/Create a shortcut in your directory
5/Delete the contents of Map/cache
6/Load/exit
7/Reload again and verify the checksum
8/Enjoy!

did everything up to 6.i created a shortcut of the .exe file in the duplicate, that now has the mod installed. I deleted all of the content that was in map/cache. Then i try to start the game and i get an error saying that the application could not be executed, d3dx9_42.dll was not found. Help!
And what the hell does "Load/exit" mean?

I think you have forgotten to carry out step 8 ;)
....seriously you should register your game then go on to the August storm sub-forum you will find help there

Is there a rule when do units get immediately destroyed and are not able to retreat even when there's a retreat route and enough supplies? (it happens to me when my spearhead was attacked from 5 or 6 sides simultaneously, it's just that 'm not sure if that was the case or was there something else)

If the division goes below 1/3 its strength it goes into the red and shatters when it enters a new combat or maybe it shatters if its in combat and goes red...the unit will poof and reappear in your capital with very few men in it.

Fate of France fires if you end up at war with the Allies without firing Danzig or War to start the conflict. It usually occurs when the UK DOWs you due to threat or you manually attack the Allies without using Danzig or War. (i.e. you manually DOW an Allied Poland or UK, meaning you have no current wargoal against France proper)

It only exists so that Germany does not forget to add a war goal against France during the war. The AI can "forget" to add wargoals sometimes if the decision chain is broken and it did not initiate the conflict.

Danzig or war adds 20 threat to ALL. How much does a manual DOW vs. Poland add? (ie. which is most advantageous for Germany to choose really)

I'm a little confused with wargoals. Does your enemy have to surrender for them to matter? As Nationalist China, I've added a wargoal to snag Indochina from the French, and I've occupied every French province in Indochina, yet when I ask for peace with the UK, all they offer me is Zhanjiang (A core of mine owned by the French). Do the French have to surrender, or do I just need to take more allied territory for them to offer it to me?

I'm a little confused with wargoals. Does your enemy have to surrender for them to matter? As Nationalist China, I've added a wargoal to snag Indochina from the French, and I've occupied every French province in Indochina, yet when I ask for peace with the UK, all they offer me is Zhanjiang (A core of mine owned by the French). Do the French have to surrender, or do I just need to take more allied territory for them to offer it to me?

In regards to your question, yes. You have to beat france for your wargoal to work, so even if it is to do "install communism" (as an example) you have to beat them to 100% surrender for the war goal to happen. Or just ally with germany and wait until they take care of france and maybe gain the territory that way? Due to surrender, I'm not sure if it would work though.

Gaining control of indochina relies on 2 island majors being knocked out of the game. Japan and England. You can occupy the land but you have to wait for germany to succeed in taking england before your wargoal triggers. You might be able to make the indochina puppet if you have all the provinces not sure on that one, click political screen and see if a puppet option is there. Either way the decision japan gets overwrites your land and if your in the axis you can't kill japan.

Gaining control of indochina relies on 2 island majors being knocked out of the game. Japan and England. You can occupy the land but you have to wait for germany to succeed in taking england before your wargoal triggers. You might be able to make the indochina puppet if you have all the provinces not sure on that one, click political screen and see if a puppet option is there. Either way the decision japan gets overwrites your land and if your in the axis you can't kill japan.
You have to own, not occupy the provinces to make a puppet, unfortunately. Still, I forgot all about Japan, I've driven them off the continent. I think I'll just ally with Germany as suggested above. Thanks for the answers!

Wait for france to fall, let japan decide indochina then wait for siam puppet for japan. Now fight for indochina and siam, once thats all done start building a navy down there and take japan's islands from them.

Danzig or war adds 20 threat to ALL. How much does a manual DOW vs. Poland add? (ie. which is most advantageous for Germany to choose really)

Honestly, it's best to let the UK declare war on Germany. If you've taken all of the historic decisions and built up the army enough they should declare war in January 40. If you've properly influenced the US, you can eliminate them as a threat (especially if you've not invited Japan to Axis).

Playing FTm 3.05 as the US and my question is this: does the US still have a problem with very high neutrality? I remember in HOI2 it was hard to get into a position to declare war on anyone as the US - you had to get a certain government minister ("the unscruplous lawyer") on the job to lower nutrality. Is that still the case?

Its all handled by decisions now mostly. You could increase threat on japan and then lower neutrality with the minister but in the end....it all comes down to the decision it knocks you down just fine but you can't do it till france falls. You need fall of france, undeclared war, stab in the back, and then that emergency thing. Basically once italy kills yugoslavia or goes crazy in africa. If you want to play a game defending france just edit your save game and reduce your neutrality that way.

I finally got August Storm to work. Now, i need suggestions on which country to play as. I had a nice vanilla game with the USA, but i'd like to try a smaller country, that i can build a small, but strong navy(being ally is a must) has decent leadership, because Portugal, New Zealand and Ireland are incredibly dull... Nothing happens.

I finally got August Storm to work. Now, i need suggestions on which country to play as. I had a nice vanilla game with the USA, but i'd like to try a smaller country, that i can build a small, but strong navy(being ally is a must) has decent leadership, because Portugal, New Zealand and Ireland are incredibly dull... Nothing happens.

since it is a question related to a mod i would say register and ask directly in the appropriate forum but in general germany is a good country to start with.

Who you should play as in august storm isnt really any different to standard FTM if you want a strong navy other than the USA then its either UK, Italy or Japan. Go for a smaller nation than that and you wont have the leadership for a good navy

How can I persuade my ally Guangxi to actually do something? They just sit at home and watch as I'm struggling against Japanese. They're in my alliance, at war against Japan, have military access and +100 battalions that could come really really handy. I don't care whether they give them as expeditionary force or they command them themselves, just as long as they actually do something.

Is there an option to take over command of my puppet Xibei San Ma?

If my capital fell - will I lose all accumulated resources?

do I need to install HoI III and Semper Fi first to install FTM?
or FTM is a stand alone ?

thanks.

for the motherland is a expansion for semper fi so you have to install hoi3 and semper fi first.

How can I persuade my ally Guangxi to actually do something? They just sit at home and watch as I'm struggling against Japanese. They're in my alliance, at war against Japan, have military access and +100 battalions that could come really really handy. I don't care whether they give them as expeditionary force or they command them themselves, just as long as they actually do something.

Is there an option to take over command of my puppet Xibei San Ma?

If my capital fell - will I lose all accumulated resources?

that depends heavily on your version (register!!).