• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Q. If you invade a country, do you get some leadership from the territory you conquered? ( with leadership I mean the thing to spend on research and officers)

My occupation laws are "cooperative government" or what it is called and that should give 30% to me, but I got nothing from my conquests, nothing at all.

I invaded the USA but it proved almost useless since I dont get any leadership only IC.

What's the advantage of Volunteer Army/ One Year Draft?
Why does some countries esp. small nations have to avoid Service by Requirement?
From some "Let's Play", I see player keep switching between One Year Draft and Service by Requirement so I hope to understand what's the strength of One Year Draft.

Q. If you invade a country, do you get some leadership from the territory you conquered? ( with leadership I mean the thing to spend on research and officers)

My occupation laws are "cooperative government" or what it is called and that should give 30% to me, but I got nothing from my conquests, nothing at all.

I invaded the USA but it proved almost useless since I dont get any leadership only IC.

The issue here is that an overseas penalty seems to apply, so I assume not only do you get 0.3, but 0.3 * 0.1 = 0.03 * base leadership from those overseas occupied territories. Which indeed is next to nothing. Also when invading the USA ... stuff has a tendency to be very widely spread across that country.

Code:
##########################################################################
# Provincial Static Modifiers
##########################################################################

overseas = {
	local_manpower_modifier = -0.75		#75% penalty on manpower.
	local_leadership_modifier = -0.9	#75% on leadership.
}

Aye, the overseas penalty is why Japan has such a handicap when it comes to getting leadership from many of the counquered nations. I've conquered Japan as Natchi and I have more leadership and IC than when I conquer Natchi with Japan.

Aye, the overseas penalty is why Japan has such a handicap when it comes to getting leadership from many of the counquered nations. I've conquered Japan as Natchi and I have more leadership and IC than when I conquer Natchi with Japan.

I believe "overseas" in HoI3 refers to "distant overseas" as used in Victoria/EU games, meaning only land that is both on another continent and without a land connection to the capital counts. Japan gets full resources (minus occupation/noncore/revoltrisk penalties) for Asia.

From some "Let's Play", I see player keep switching between One Year Draft and Service by Requirement so I hope to understand what's the strength of One Year Draft.

The reserve bonus makes reserve divisions much cheaper to create.

What's the advantage of Volunteer Army/ One Year Draft?
Why does some countries esp. small nations have to avoid Service by Requirement?
Building reserve units. You have to pay 1/4 of IC cost using Volunteer Army, 1/3 using One Year Draft. With small countries, getting enough land units can be a problem, since their IC is so low.

Building reserve units. You have to pay 1/4 of IC cost using Volunteer Army, 1/3 using One Year Draft. With small countries, getting enough land units can be a problem, since their IC is so low.

Small countries have mainly the problem of manpower. I think reserves is the best for big countries with fairly large manpower pools, so they can use the IC for other things like ships and planes.

Though, I never use reserves myself. Consider it as utterly gamey.

I want to increase Threat as quickly as possible while playing as Germany. Will I raise more threat building 4 INF brigades vs 1 INF Division with 4 brigades? Do ARM or MOT or aircraft raise threat more than INF or ART? Does deploying forces along a border still bump Threat?

Each unit (and one brigade counts as a unit), raises your threat by a baseline of 0.04. Then you go into other factors - bigger IC to smaller IC would raise threat more, than smaller IC to bigger IC. Opposing ideologies (fascist to communist to democracy) would raise threat better than to similar ones (Germany does not gain much threat on Italy). Neighbors threaten more than far-off countries, different continents with no borders reduce threat even further (UK is far away from China, but due to Hon Kong it can threaten China quite a bit).
Hence, there is no difference between fielding 1 MIL brigade (non-reserve), SHBB Yamomoto or a wing of B-29. Build a bunch of MIL brigades, then upgrade them into INF brigades, then into MOT brigades - and each time you will gain threat against everybody else.

Q. Whenever i create a fleet, the AI mixes up the ships. for example whenever i create a transport fleet of either 2 destroyer + 4 transport or 3 destroyer + 9 transport, the AI adds the transport fleet to another fleet such as a carrier fleet of 2 carrier + 5 destroyer + 5 light cruiser. I only have the battle AI marked and not the reorganize AI marked. Why does it do that?

Last edited:
Each unit (and one brigade counts as a unit), raises your threat by a baseline of 0.04. Then you go into other factors - bigger IC to smaller IC would raise threat more, than smaller IC to bigger IC. Opposing ideologies (fascist to communist to democracy) would raise threat better than to similar ones (Germany does not gain much threat on Italy). Neighbors threaten more than far-off countries, different continents with no borders reduce threat even further (UK is far away from China, but due to Hon Kong it can threaten China quite a bit).
Hence, there is no difference between fielding 1 MIL brigade (non-reserve), SHBB Yamomoto or a wing of B-29. Build a bunch of MIL brigades, then upgrade them into INF brigades, then into MOT brigades - and each time you will gain threat against everybody else.

So as Germany, if I use spies to increase Poland's threat and as I build units does placing them along the German/Poland border increase my specific threat towards them? The goal would be to declare War as early as possible.

No. Placement of units does not matter - you can put all your units in Berlin upon completion or next to Maginot line and France would see you as the same threat. Poland is too small to threaten Germany, you better off raising the threat of UK.
To declare war ASAP, you can raise your dissent to high level, lower you economic law to worst possible, until your available IC is lower than 30 - this gives you option to fire "Prepare for War" decision, which lowers your neutrality by 0.2 for 300 days - 60 overall. In conjunction with Reoccupation of Rhineland decision (-10 neutrality), Axis ability to DOW with 25 neutrality - you can start the war by early May 1936. To raise dissent, switch between designating your two starting BCs as Pride of Fleet. Each change gives a 1% dissent hit. With 45% dissent and Full Civilian Economy, as long as you don't use a +10 IC minister, you will have 28 available IC - enough to fire the decision.
Else, you can use nonneutrality cheat.

No. Placement of units does not matter - you can put all your units in Berlin upon completion or next to Maginot line and France would see you as the same threat. Poland is too small to threaten Germany, you better off raising the threat of UK.
To declare war ASAP, you can raise your dissent to high level, lower you economic law to worst possible, until your available IC is lower than 30 - this gives you option to fire "Prepare for War" decision, which lowers your neutrality by 0.2 for 300 days - 60 overall. In conjunction with Reoccupation of Rhineland decision (-10 neutrality), Axis ability to DOW with 25 neutrality - you can start the war by early May 1936. To raise dissent, switch between designating your two starting BCs as Pride of Fleet. Each change gives a 1% dissent hit. With 45% dissent and Full Civilian Economy, as long as you don't use a +10 IC minister, you will have 28 available IC - enough to fire the decision.
Else, you can use nonneutrality cheat.

Wouldn't raising the threat on the UK make it more likely they'd intervene earlier? I don't want to kick start WWII in 1936... just get to a place politically where I can knock out Poland before 1937.

I appreciate the advice on using dissent to quicken my DOW but I'd rather try to use unit production to raise threat than strip my economy bare.

In that case, you would have to build ~350 units for a low enough neutrality. You don't have the manpower, unless you are willing to disband them right away. It would take ~50 days to get rid of all that dissent - not that great of a price. You have more than enough units to take out Poland in spring 1936 - and YOU choose when to start WW2. Raising threat on UK for 3-4 month will only increase their threat to you by ~6-8 points. Also, UK will remain neutral until ~1940, if you don't go crazy with raising your threat (and building a huge army will do exactly that).

Q. Whenever i create a fleet, the AI mixes up the ships. for example whenever i create a transport fleet of either 2 destroyer + 4 transport or 3 destroyer + 9 transport, the AI adds the transport fleet to another fleet such as a carrier fleet of 2 carrier + 5 destroyer + 5 light cruiser. I only have the battle AI marked and not the reorganize AI marked. Why does it do that?

In the production menu uncheck the automatic deployment

In the production menu uncheck the automatic deployment
Yea i have that unchecked. Its me manually deploying a carrier fleet, then deploying a transport fleet both under a theater command. then i speed up the game. The AI automatically combines the 2 fleet. only way i've been getting around this is by having the transport under the Army group however if i more then 1 transport fleet under the army group the AI combines the 2 transport fleets.