• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My computer is ancient and by the specs below the requirements for this game, but it still can run TFH at a rate of 1.5 seconds/day. My extensive Electronics background, including but not limited to computer hardware and software, helps me make this possible; however, it should not allow me to avoid the CTDs people suffer. Are you running your game through Program Files? If so, change that. Make a directory specifically for HOI3 and see if this helps.

The crashing issue doesn't acutely affect me. I've followed some of the suggestions found in the tech support forum and haven't crashed since.

My point was that the game does have a crashing problem and that some people not being affected by it, or some of those who are apparently not "RTFM", doesn't explain it away. From what I've read, and to a lesser extent experienced myself, few games have been as fussy as this in recent memory.

My point was that the game does have a crashing problem and that some people not being affected by it, or some of those who are apparently not "RTFM", doesn't explain it away. From what I've read, and to a lesser extent experienced myself, few games have been as fussy as this in recent memory.

I think you will find that people like yourself who experience the crash issues are the exceptions, not the rest of us for whom the game is extremely stable.

The crashing issue doesn't acutely affect me. I've followed some of the suggestions found in the tech support forum and haven't crashed since.

HOI3 is a pretty stable game overall and I've never had any serious issues with it. I feel your pain though; I've once wasted pretty much an entire week on solving a problem for another game which apparently was client-based but miraculously disappeared after that week. Software is a bitch.

Well, I still believe you people aren't quite being objective in trivializing this game's technical issues, but I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree and get back to a more productive discussion.

As I found out the hard way and you confirmed earlier, using espionage to help Nazis win the 1940 election in the US is useless and I should coup them instead. Is this as straightforward as maxing send spy priority and covert ops for the US or is there anything else I have to do? Like raising threat on the UK or influencing the US diplomatically?

I did actually use the raise threat mission on the UK for a couple of years since that was supposed to keep states from joining the Allies on their own. I stopped using it since Netherlands joining the Allies completely unprovoked in 1940 (I attacked France over the Maginot line) heavily implied that this order was bordering on useless.

Still playing as Third Reich and defeated SU, now "thanks" to the Japan, i'm war with US. Should i expect invasion to france or somewhere? Half of England's main land is under my control. Also not dominating on Norway.

E: Also, what ships are the most effective on defending my coast from invasions? How big should the groups be and what ships should they contain? At the moment i have tons of subs and destroyers.

Last edited:
Still playing as Third Reich and defeated SU, now "thanks" to the Japan, i'm war with US. Should i expect invasion to france or somewhere? Half of England's main land is under my control. Also not dominating on Norway.

E: Also, what ships are the most effective on defending my coast from invasions? How big should the groups be and what ships should they contain? At the moment i have tons of subs and destroyers.

Expect an invasion in the Netherlands - The AI has a hardon for the Netherlands.

About defending your coast with ships; I've never heard about specifically using your fleet to defend your coast in order to prevent invasions. Usual tactics are to either go for full naval supremacy, or to react to invasion fleets specifically (which would be closest to what you propose). You'll need an actual fleet with carriers (especially vs. the USA) in a nearby port, and garrisons in every port along the coast. When your garrison is attacked, you let your carrier fleet sortie to the invasion and crush them in their transports.

EDIT: You could let some lone destroyers patrol the coast in order to provoke an engagement with their fleets, but that's bound to be a very expensive strategy.

How do you auto spawn SS named divisions in TFH? I remember in FtM they would spawn after awhile.

I've built over 30 panzer divisions and have yet seen an SS panzer division in my production queue.
The only work around is to build a division with Waffen-SS brigades and support brigades only. Then go back and build a tank brigade and attach it once it's built. Then change the name of the SS division and add panzer to it. A little too much micromanagement. Even for me! :)

In my latest game with Germany on VH, the US invaded Japan then Asia, Guess they never heard the proverb about not fighting a land war in Asia, I was able to put about 4-5 Inf/Mtn corps there and push them back, but it was so slow going I could almost upgrade the infra every time I took a new province. Best way to defend a long coast line would be just to Garrison the ports then have all those old tanks you conquered the SU sitting around in reserve.

How do you auto spawn SS named divisions in TFH? I remember in FtM they would spawn after awhile.
I've built over 30 panzer divisions and have yet seen an SS panzer division in my production queue.
The only work around is to build a division with Waffen-SS brigades and support brigades only. Then go back and build a tank brigade and attach it once it's built. Then change the name of the SS division and add panzer to it. A little too much micromanagement. Even for me! :)
You described the only way.

I hope you'll excuse me when I repeat my earlier question:

(1.) As I found out the hard way and you confirmed earlier, using espionage to help Nazis win the 1940 election in the US is useless and I should coup them instead. Is this as straightforward as maxing send spy priority and covert ops for the US or is there anything else I have to do? Like raising threat on the UK or influencing the US diplomatically?

Two more things:

2. Dealing with partisans before they become a problem: what, if anything, can I do? I mean, I can scarcely afford to station a couple dozen divisions all over Poland and France when I'm getting ready to invade Russia, so do I just make peace with the notion of losing a bunch of provinces for a couple of weeks before I can redeploy divisions to deal with them? I'm already using the most "benign" form of occupational government (hell, I only noticed recently you could change that). I now noticed I'm using a minister, namely Frick, who technically gives a "bonus" to partisan activity, but how much difference could getting rid of that one modifier do?

3. Supplies: I seem to be hemorrhaging those without a clear explanation. My automatically allocated supply production (using "prioritize reinforcements") seems erratic, bouncing from somewhere around 40 less or 20 more IC than supposedly required. What's most confusing about this is that, even with 20 IC above quota, my supply usage will sometimes spike as high as 8k for a day or two. My supplies aren't being convoyed out either. I'm not currently engaged in significant ground combat, air-wise I'm continuously doing a bunch of superiority missions and occasionally some strategic bombing over England (taking breaks from the latter to regain org). What am I missing here?

I hope you'll excuse me when I repeat my earlier question:
Nazi Yanks are not my thing, so I leave that to people with practical experience.

2. Dealing with partisans before they become a problem: what, if anything, can I do? I mean, I can scarcely afford to station a couple dozen divisions all over Poland and France when I'm getting ready to invade Russia [...]
Build specific anti-partisan divisions. There are multiple approaches to this, but MIL/MIL and CAV/CAV are the most basic ones.

What am I missing here?
First of all, the supply stockpile doesn't represent the amount of supplies (or fuel) you have, but the amount of supplies chilling in your capital. The supply system tries to stockpile 30 days worth of supplies in the province a unit is. If this unit moves, horrendous single day supply usuages can happen (especially with long lines). However, keep in mind, that this 8k of supply are not used - they're just not in homeland stockpiles anymore (but in field stockpiles).

1. Thanks anyway.

2. So in other words I can forget about preventing uprisings before they happen and have to designate a bunch of divisions? That's what I was hoping to avoid but if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. It would hardly be realistic not to station ANYTHING in occupied territory, and you probably couldn't explain this away as being abstracted if you could get away with it, seeing as how the game even allows you to build military police divisions. I'm going to bite the bullet and build 2 or 3 "peacekeeping" corps. Thinking 1x MOT/AC (possibly WSS/AC) and 4x MIL/MP each. Does this make sense? Of course it's going to be more expensive than CAV but I don't think I could bring myself to build those after 1940.

3. I already guessed as much that the astronomical usage numbers couldn't possibly be accurate, just didn't close the syllogism that the number in the resource tab depicted your central stockpile. I'm going to have to catch up on the supply system. Only been playing HoI 3 for like two weeks and the supply system is still daunting, at least compared to HoI 2. Speaking of supply lines: do you specifically designate those analogously to convoys (if so I completely missed where) or are we talking about something that should emerge "organically" along routes with high infrastructure?

Thanks for the input so far, this is very helpful.

[...] that should emerge "organically" along routes with high infrastructure?
Unless you run into one of the many bugs the supply system has, yes.

So in other words I can forget about preventing uprisings before they happen
While preventing uprisings is possible, nobody does that - by far too expensive.

That's another somewhat common build. Personally I'm not a fan of MP for various reasons, but MIL/MP provides decent anti-partisan capabilities.

1x MOT/AC (possibly WSS/AC)
If you want to use regular brigades for anti-partisan duty, go for PAR/PAR and some transports. MOT/AC is way overkill for partisans, and WSS is best used in first class divisions on your most important front.

If you want to use regular brigades for anti-partisan duty, go for PAR/PAR and some transports. MOT/AC is way overkill for partisans, and WSS is best used in first class divisions on your most important front.

Transports are expensive as hell though. I get the appeal of dropping paratroopers on partisans, but if anything, that solution is even less cost-effective than what I was going to do.

that solution is even less cost-effective than what I was going to do.
, 2x PAR/PAR and a single TRA are enough to police France+Benelux.

Transports are expensive as hell though.
With decent practicals? ((Maybe it's because TRA basically acts as my supply network for USA/ENG/GER/SOV/JAP (China is too far behind tech-wise and has to fight too early), though.))

With decent practicals? ((Maybe it's because TRA basically acts as my supply network for USA/ENG/GER/SOV/JAP (China is too far behind tech-wise and has to fight too early), though.))

Any moderately historical German build scheme is going to be pretty darned low on heavy aircraft practical. And just as a matter of personal taste, I have always found the idea of using elite specops units for whack-a-mole duty as too much an immersion breaker. An alternative, one that is much cheaper actually, is to just use a few CAV brigades on AI control. It isn't as quick as the PAR method, but then for most situations speed of response in squishing the odd partisan that pops up is not a high enough priority to rate a more expensive solution, at least in my book.

What does unit cooperation do?

Reduces the stacking penalty for all ground forces by 5%. That looks like a small thing, but it's actually pretty darned significant, especially if your build scheme involves a lot of binary-based, i.e. 2 width, divisions and/or hordes of MIL.