• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's something that represents soldiers getting old and retiring, or finishing their tour of duty in the army during peace. It's a really fairly small amount of 'casualties' on all your units during peace, requiring you to spend a little IC on reinforcements.
So my hypothesis was right :) Thank you!

If I build multiple units in a row and research a new tech, will the next units use the improved tech or the techs at the time I put them in the production queue?

So for example makes it any sense to order a serial build of 10 carriers and if I research a new hull tech I can keep this order? Or do I have to cancel this to not produce the outdated carrier versions for many years?

I'm just getting started -- Semper Fi, 1939 Germany -- and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do some very basic things like move units from one province or another. When I select units, they always seem to have "No Orders" greyed out. Am I supposed to be starting with the HQs or something?

Basic Movement

I'm just getting started -- Semper Fi, 1939 Germany -- and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do some very basic things like move units from one province or another. When I select units, they always seem to have "No Orders" greyed out. Am I supposed to be starting with the HQs or something?

After selecting a unit, simply Right Click the Province you wish to move to.
(Unless, at war you ca n only move to friendly territory)

You may want to "Strategically Deploy", which is Ctrl+Right Click, faster move but units must reorganize upon arrival.

Lastly, very useful, if you select a HQ and Click the Green Bar just above all units, it will select everything attached to the HQ for movement. At Corps HQ (***) level this works well.

Thanks

Officer Exp

I'd like to improve my officer corp by raising a few guys to 5 stars.

What is the best way to gain Officer Exp?
Is it simply time in combat? Or winning battles? Is Div or Corp lvl better? etc....

I'm not really sure how to influence this to my benefit :)

Thanks

Mate, you've already started *three* threads asking this same question, and received replies in two of them. It'd be polite to at least reply in one of the original threads if you're still having problems, rather than post the same question repeatedly.

What is better to produce: many similar brigades or try to produce everything at once?

For example, I have about 30 IC.
I should:
1. Make parallel production of 5-6 inf
2. Start constructing inf, art, AA, gar and some int may be

I have little const practical in every field of this. So when I build only inf, all other fields would decrease, right?

And second little question. Should I wait 24 hours for accumulating practical after finishing construction? I remember that I read this rule in some guide.

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but sometimes countries get a "how closely they are aligned" modifier when hovering my mouse cursor over their icon in the diplomatic triangle window.

What exactly does it mean ?

For example, I am playing Germany and I am influencing USA, the above modifier appears under the Allies modifiers "block" (there are two other such "blocks", Axis and Comintern ones), usually as a negative percent.

Does this mean that the USA currently have a pro-Axis government, which in return makes it more difficult for pro-Allies to influence them ?

Does this mean that the closer the USA get to the Allies (or any faction), the harder it is to further draw them in ? A bit like a repulsive effect, near the corners of the triangle ?

I can't help but feel confused.

Thanks for your insight.

Does this mean that the closer the USA get to the Allies (or any faction), the harder it is to further draw them in ? A bit like a repulsive effect, near the corners of the triangle ?

This.

How do I use Artillery? What does it do exactly? When should I use it? I have played HOI3 for a long time now, but I avoided building it, because I just don't get it.

If I build multiple units in a row and research a new tech, will the next units use the improved tech or the techs at the time I put them in the production queue?

So for example makes it any sense to order a serial build of 10 carriers and if I research a new hull tech I can keep this order? Or do I have to cancel this to not produce the outdated carrier versions for many years?

A serial build puts out the unit you ordered, even if this means starting to build a unit that is years out of date.

What is better to produce: many similar brigades or try to produce everything at once?

For example, I have about 30 IC.
I should:
1. Make parallel production of 5-6 inf
2. Start constructing inf, art, AA, gar and some int may be

I have little const practical in every field of this. So when I build only inf, all other fields would decrease, right?

And second little question. Should I wait 24 hours for accumulating practical after finishing construction? I remember that I read this rule in some guide.

Your knowledge is always decreasing, and only raises at the instant you finish building something. If you spread out your building then any gained practical is likely to be minimal as it will only be replacing decayed knowledge.

You don't have to wait 24 hours, but in a serial build the next item won't benefit from any practical increase. Anything you manually add should be fine.

Your knowledge is always decreasing, and only raises at the instant you finish building something. If you spread out your building then any gained practical is likely to be minimal as it will only be replacing decayed knowledge.
I see. So, it is better to have 3-4 required practical (even low), because decreasing will be slow (x% from 3.0 is less, then x% from 5.0)
Thank you!

Another question: overseas modifier.
Will I have it if conquer for example Albania as Spain?
In wiki I read that modifier is applied when province don't have land connection with capital.
So does it mean than province should be in my borders or only on the same continent?

I see. So, it is better to have 3-4 required practical (even low), because decreasing will be slow (x% from 3.0 is less, then x% from 5.0)
Thank you!

In regards to practicals, the higher your practical the lower your IC cost and Time to build cost. You only gain practical by producing units, and a high practical makes a significant differnence.

Which means for practicals building lots of the "same" is best.
But "same" is sometimes shared - for example Inf, Mar, and Mtn share the same practical, but Gar and Mil are on a seperate practical.
----------
It really leads to deciding what type of Army/Air force/or Navy you'd like to field when you start the game, and then sticking to building only those units that share practicals.

...If you want to maximize IC savings/Build time reduction.

will my AI do amphibious assaults for me?

If I am using the AI to run a theatre for me and I give it an objective that is on the other side of an ocean, and a HQ with control over sufficient transport, naval, air, and land, will it do an amphibious assault for me?

How do I use Artillery? What does it do exactly? When should I use it? I have played HOI3 for a long time now, but I avoided building it, because I just don't get it.

Frontage in battle is 10: You can either use 10 infantry, or you could use 10 Infantry + 30 Artillery in a mega concentration of artillery and break through real easily.

I have 2 artillery corps. Each division has 1 infantry + 3 artillery. I can generally break through anywhere.

Frontage is typically 10, when you attack from 1 spot
If you attack from 2 provinces it will be 15 frontage,
if you attack from 3 provinces it will be 20 frontage,
if you attack from 4 different provinces it will be 25 frontage,

Last edited:
Officer Exp

I'd like to improve my officer corp by raising a few guys to 5 stars.

What is the best way to gain Officer Exp?
Is it simply time in combat? Or winning battles? Is Div or Corp lvl better? etc....

I'm not really sure how to influence this to my benefit :)

Thanks

Fastest way is to give them command of a division and put that division in battle. Not sure if winning effects gain, just time in combat.

ship armor, guns, engines do not upgrade (Anti Aircraft guns do). So time your research with when you plan on building ships, as soon as research is done it's a good idea to start building.

Ships in building que will not upgrade if you research in the middle of a build.