• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for the replies Serveri!

Also, to TZoli:

Pure mountain division are what you want. I'm almost 100% certain that mixing artillery or engineer or any other brigade-type with mountaineers makes them lose their bonuses to fighting in difficult terrain. I use 4-Mountaineer Brigade divisions for difficult terrain fighting and get excellent results.

I see. Are you sure about that they lose their bonuses? Even if one division is a mixed one?

What does the different minister traits do exactly within the game?

More specifically

+5% espionage? What affects this?
Internal changes?
Axis/allied/comintern susceptability? These are pointsless for faction leaders right?

There should be a mouse over for these bonuses to explain them more closely.

I see. Are you sure about that they lose their bonuses? Even if one division is a mixed one?

It dilutes the bonuses to the point that there isn't any reason to attach the support brigade. Art are the worst though, since they confer -40% attack and -70% movement. Basically you add all of the bonuses together and divide by number of brigades in the unit. So 2mtn and 1 art would be +50% for the mtn for +1.0 and -.4 for the Art, yielding .6/3 or a bonus of 20% when you should have a 50% bonus if they were all mountain (on the attack in mountains). Speed is .1+.1-.7=-.5/3 which is a handicap of almost 20% in mountain movement. Considering the terrain infra in China, this is quite a huge penalty to speed.

You can only assign 5 divisions per army HQ, so you would have to use multiple army HQ for one army. Apart from that you will only lose the combat reinforcement bonus from the corps HQs.

You can only assign 5 divisions per army HQ, so you would have to use multiple army HQ for one army. Apart from that you will only lose the combat reinforcement bonus from the corps HQs.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. 2 army HQs renamed I/13th Army and II/13th Army? Too bad. I hoped there was a way around the 5 units per HQ at Army/AG level.

I have the option to invite Nationalist Spain into the Axis but everything i try they reject it. It says "impossible" on the invite screen. How can I get Spain to accept?

So... I don't know where to ask, so i am doing it here. I am playing a minor (Greece) and i get attacked by a major (Italy). I am not in the Allies when i get attacked (Italy is in the Axis). But after they have conquered half my country they are still "threatening" me too little to be able to join the Allies... Their threat is only about 15, so with my neutrality of about 65, i can't even apply to join... What's this? Why so low threat??? Played with FtM 3.04

I apologize if I am missing something extremely obvious, but I am very confused about navy detection/spotting. In Semper Fi, as Germany when I move a few destroyers on patrol the fog of war in sea provinces is not lifted for many days. Oddly, when I alt-tabbed the game, the map seemed to do some sort of reset and all four of the provinces the destroyers were patrolling had their fog of war lifted (yes, including those that the destroyer was not occupying and had vacated days ago).

Is this normal? I did not think it was because an alt-tab prompted the change. I searched other forums and could find nothing on this, so I figured maybe it was not a glitch. How do I get the fog of war lifted immediately upon entering a sea province? Or is this just not possible and I am too accustomed to many conventional, simplistic RTSs?

Thanks in advance.

More specifically

Internal changes?
Axis/allied/comintern susceptability? These are pointsless for faction leaders right?

*bump*

Hello everybody. I'm totally new in HoI3 and in general in Pardox games (I have HoI3 only for three weeks!), and there are a lot of factors that I can't understand completely. Maybe could be things very obvious for you, but I beg you to help me, if possible.

1) What are the real advantages of the hierarchy? How can I attach units to an existing HQ or how can I create a new HQ for those units?

2) I'm actually playing with the USA (it's my first campaign and I started in 1936) and I were building a very strong army with armour and bombers for the war, but when I joined the Allies the consumer goods needed grew a lot (from 70 to nearly 100!), and I have to put all my IC in the consumer goods and not in the production. Are there ways to low the consumer goods needed?

3) Can you suggest me an ideal division composition? How much infantry, armour or artillery?

4) Some questions about special units: are there any real advantages in sea operations with the marines? What are the bonus if I build engineers? Have I any problem with supply if I send paratroopers behind enemy lines?

Thanks a lot for your reply, an I hope you'll be understanding of all my doubts, though they're obvious.

Is there a way to load a nuclear bomb on the rocket and the rocket with a nuclear bomb on the submarine? So to create a ballistic submarine?

1) What are the real advantages of the hierarchy? How can I attach units to an existing HQ or how can I create a new HQ for those units?
Theater, Army Group, Army and Corps commanders all pass bonuses from traits and skills to the divisions in the same hierarchy. To attach a unit to an existing HQ all you have to do is click on the arrow on the left side of the unit (after selected). Divisions attach to Corps, Corps attach to Armies, Armies attach to Army Groups and Army Groups attach to Theaters. You can read a lot about hierarchy and more about how it works on the HOI3 wiki.

2) I'm actually playing with the USA (it's my first campaign and I started in 1936) and I were building a very strong army with armour and bombers for the war, but when I joined the Allies the consumer goods needed grew a lot (from 70 to nearly 100!), and I have to put all my IC in the consumer goods and not in the production. Are there ways to low the consumer goods needed?

If you are at war, then you may change your laws in order to reduce consumer goods demand and increase available industry. Certain political leaders (check the POLITICS tab) decrease consumer goods.
3) Can you suggest me an ideal division composition? How much infantry, armour or artillery?

There is no such thing as the 'ideal' division. There are really only divisions that are good for what YOU want them to do. I recommend trying different combinations, experimenting and see what works and what doesn't. You can also find lots of tips on the HOI3 Wiki.

4) Some questions about special units: are there any real advantages in sea operations with the marines? What are the bonus if I build engineers? Have I any problem with supply if I send paratroopers behind enemy lines?
Marines are best when you must launch an amphibious invasion or attack across a river. Marines suffer many fewer penalties for doing that sort of thing than other units.

And, yes, if you drop your paratroopers behind enemy lines they will have trouble with supply. You can always supply them via air (using transports) or link up with them via a route of advance.

More specifically

Internal changes?

Yes, if you are in afaction already, susceptibility is pointless. Pick a minister with different trait.
+5 % espionage I think improves your spies chances on missions abroad. I.E disrupt national unity will disrupt it a further 5%. Someone confirm?

no. ever seen an ballistic submarine before 1947?

No, because the war ended in 1945... if it take longer (thats are the objectives if the game is to 1947 and not only 1945) this may be a lot of technology from the 50s would have been invented in 40s. The war accelerated the development of technology, much.

There should be more opportunities.