• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Attack a really slow unit with a really fast unit, then make sure you capture all the provinces around it before it has completed its retreat move. The unit will then be overrun and disappear. Alternatively, you could use another unit to cut the retreat path, but that's more surrounding than overrunning.

LOL wut now im so confused :blink:

I have a airwing what is made from four interceptors. But when they go fight against enemy airwings, ie consisting of 6 groups and i look my stats i have there the -30% or so stacking penalty? Why? I thought I would get stacking penalty only from stacks with more than four groups. Damn this is so confusing...

And then also, when i look my ground divisions. I will get the stacking penalty in one attack where is only three divisions attacking and two in reserves ( so five divisions attacking am i right?). But still there is the -5.00% stacking penalty in each unit involved in the fight. Why? I thought also that there was a stacking penalty only when i stack more than 8 divisions in one attack.

This game is so confusing once in a while :p

Is there a way to defeat a carrier fleet using a battleship fleet ?

Attack a really slow unit with a really fast unit, then make sure you capture all the provinces around it before it has completed its retreat move. The unit will then be overrun and disappear. Alternatively, you could use another unit to cut the retreat path, but that's more surrounding than overrunning.

hmm. sure u dont mean the opposite. overrun should be going into the retreat path with a faster unit.

LOL wut now im so confused :blink:

I have a airwing what is made from four interceptors. But when they go fight against enemy airwings, ie consisting of 6 groups and i look my stats i have there the -30% or so stacking penalty? Why? I thought I would get stacking penalty only from stacks with more than four groups. Damn this is so confusing...
First off, air and naval stacking penalties work differently to each other and to land stacking penalties. Hardly surprising when the units and their environment are so different.

Air stacking penalties apply per wing (even, and I'll admit this is a bit of a boggle, the first one), with a cap of 80%. The "four groups" thing is, IIRC, the level at which it used to be inefficient to add more wings, because the increased penalty meant that the extra wing added nothing except extra hit points to the stack.

And then also, when i look my ground divisions. I will get the stacking penalty in one attack where is only three divisions attacking and two in reserves ( so five divisions attacking am i right?). But still there is the -5.00% stacking penalty in each unit involved in the fight. Why? I thought also that there was a stacking penalty only when i stack more than 8 divisions in one attack.

I'm very sorry that you didn't read or didn't understand my previous post explaining how stacking penalties work. If you read it again, you'll see that 5 divisions in the attack is supposed to give you a 5% stacking penalty, and yes that penalty applies to all the units in the fight, not just to those that exceed the stacking limit. If you think about it, having the 5th, 6th and 7th Divisions have a 5, 10 and 15% penalty respectively would be very little disincentive to making super stacks. It really doesn't matter what you "thought". Like any misapprehension, you just need to forget what you "thought" you knew and replace the error in your knowledge with the truth about how the world (even the fictional one of HOI3) works.

Could someone explain to me how to 'overrun' when attacking?

An example of an overrun: attack a province with a very fast unit (relative to the defender), say a 2LArm/2AC, and as soon as your unit and the defender occupy his province, order your unit into the province the defender is retreating to. If your unit gets there first the overrun is successfull and the defender is eliminated.

An example of an overrun: attack a province with a very fast unit (relative to the defender), say a 2LArm/2AC, and as soon as your unit and the defender occupy his province, order your unit into the province the defender is retreating to. If your unit gets there first the overrun is successfull and the defender is eliminated.
Just a small addition:
As of 4.02, combat duration is directly related to attack delay. The shorter a battle is, the smaller the attack delay.

Do I need units occupying both the province the enemy is retreating from and retreating to?

Just to clarify with naval units. Which parts of the ship can be upgraded once they're built and which parts are set in stone (steel) after construction? I'm pretty sure I can upgrade AA, main armament and various radars, but not armour/engines?

Further to that question, are the parts which cannot be upgraded decided when the unit is added to the construction que, or when it's finished and able to be deployed?

Just to clarify with naval units. Which parts of the ship can be upgraded once they're built and which parts are set in stone (steel) after construction? I'm pretty sure I can upgrade AA, main armament and various radars, but not armour/engines?

Further to that question, are the parts which cannot be upgraded decided when the unit is added to the construction que, or when it's finished and able to be deployed?

AA and radar only, subs can also upgrade there torps.

EDIT: Mahr also pointed out that ASW upgrades as well. basicly if its not part of the ship it can uprade

the requirements for replacing the main armament IRL are... extreme.

Last edited:
I'm on Semper Fi, SU have just surrendered against me after I took Moscow and a fair few other of their Western Cities. They immeadiately lost about 1/3 of their territory but I didn't get full control. They also kept Romania. So Ive built up forts on every bordering region to the main SU forces and the ones in Romania and moved 90% of my forces to the SU borders.

So anyway, 8 months later my manpower has recovered and I'm thinking about a cheeky USA invasion ( I invaded UK before SU ). But will the SU attack me and break this truce? I can't war dec them, but I'm obviously cautious about them suddenly getting the urge to hit me and I don't think I can fight SU and sustain a invasion of the US simultaneously.

I thought ASW could be upgraded aswell?

sssh! just because i missed it :D

the parts are decided by what techs you had on ordering. best practice is to order a couple of old school ships of whatever model you want to get practicals up so the research and construction of the line speeds up

I'm on Semper Fi, SU have just surrendered against me after I took Moscow and a fair few other of their Western Cities. They immeadiately lost about 1/3 of their territory but I didn't get full control. They also kept Romania. So Ive built up forts on every bordering region to the main SU forces and the ones in Romania and moved 90% of my forces to the SU borders.

So anyway, 8 months later my manpower has recovered and I'm thinking about a cheeky USA invasion ( I invaded UK before SU ). But will the SU attack me and break this truce? I can't war dec them, but I'm obviously cautious about them suddenly getting the urge to hit me and I don't think I can fight SU and sustain a invasion of the US simultaneously.
That's normal (it's called Bitter Peace). The soviets cannot break the truce because their neutrality is fairly to high (you should be safe).
I thought ASW could be upgraded aswell?
You're right, AA, radar, ASW, torpedos and the two submarine warning techs upgrade.
Sweet, thanks for the quick answer. I was nearly right :p

Is the Armour/Engine/Main Armaments decided on ordering or on completion of the unit?
Regardless what you build, that's decided on ordering (which is quite realistic - why should the armor suddenly get better, just because you developed a new type a few days before).

Do I need units occupying both the province the enemy is retreating from and retreating to?

No. The enemy unit will cease to exist as soon as you take the province it is retreating to. Shierholzer's additional info is very usefull. My standard attack tends to include enough units to ensure rapid victory and I should have included this key piece of info.

No. The enemy unit will cease to exist as soon as you take the province it is retreating to.
Sometimes, the unit will seem like it's still there until it "would have reached" the province it was retreating to. This can be a long old time since the unit is moving at out-of-supply-and-fuel rate. It's dead, but it just doesn't know it yet and you don't have to worry about it.