• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, if I understand that correctly an "Operation Dynamo" (units under attack in a completly surrounded Dunkirk retreating to transports either at sea or in port) is not possible?

Yes, it is possible if the German AI first captures and keeps troops in all provinces surrounding your beachhead and you then wait until your units are out of org (no volontary retreat). Your units will then retreat out to waiting transports. It is possible but highly dangerous (and most likely bugged).

TFH 4.02

I have autosave on "weekly". Yet I only have autosaves for every year and 6 months of the last year. Anyone knows whats up with this?

Yes, it is possible if the German AI first captures and keeps troops in all provinces surrounding your beachhead and you then wait until your units are out of org (no volontary retreat). Your units will then retreat out to waiting transports. It is possible but highly dangerous (and most likely bugged).

Right, if, like you said, the only way out is a Sea Zone occupied by enough transports amounting to the complete weight of all your units and that all those transports are grouped together, not in separate stacks.

If transports are in seprate stacks, their capability of transporting will be considered as separate stacks... and this may prevent troops from boarding properly as the game will conclude that there is not enough room to board everyone... This could lead to some major disapointment (like troopsdying on the shore and not boarding).

But I've seen it being done numerous times, even with TFH.

Except for the bug, I don't know which ones you have in mind

TFH 4.02

I have autosave on "weekly". Yet I only have autosaves for every year and 6 months of the last year. Anyone knows whats up with this?

You should post in tech forum, you might get a quicker answer... maybe some map cache cleaning is needed (seem like this always solve most problems... :blink:

I got to bump this.
1. How does the AI decide that it wants to do business with me or not (including selling production licences)? I know it got to be with relation and threat but more precisely, how? (TFH) Kind of boring that I have to try trading with almost everybody and they say it is impossible.
2. Also it seems I'm unable to sell fuel to anybody, despite the fact some are even in deficit. Why? (And I find annoying in the TFH, that everybody spams me with offers of selling fuel when I am even slightly in the red.)
3. Also, how does threat is calculated and is there a way to reduce it? (I mean how much threat does the different actions generate, like mobilization or embargo or guarantee?)
4. Another: how much should my threat be to invoke some actions from other countries? (One time the USSR DOW'ed me as UK after being too greedy but still can't define how greedy.) In other words how aggressive can I be as a neutral or as a faction member?

4.:
Basically, when this equation = 0 (or less), they can DoW you : "Neutrality of a given Country - Threat from your country"

Thanks.
But besides the rules of DOW what are the other factors? I mean the AI doesn't DOW anybody whose neutrality is lower than the threat it poses. Let's say I play a neutral country and I'm being very agressive and conquering my neighbouring neutral countries. I remember that before TFH you could do it as long as you wanted, but I read here in some topics that in the TFH they fixed this problem and some other countries will act upon the neutral agressor. The question is still how does the AI decide to intervene?
Like is there a procedure for the AI that it tries to intervene to help the countries which it has good relations? Or is there something else? Or is it just simple based on some threat and neutrality equation besided the rule of the DOW?

4.:

Thanks.
But besides the rules of DOW what are the other factors? I mean the AI doesn't DOW anybody whose neutrality is lower than the threat it poses. Let's say I play a neutral country and I'm being very agressive and conquering my neighbouring neutral countries. I remember that before TFH you could do it as long as you wanted, but I read here in some topics that in the TFH they fixed this problem and some other countries will act upon the neutral agressor. The question is still how does the AI decide to intervene?
Like is there a procedure for the AI that it tries to intervene to help the countries which it has good relations? Or is there something else? Or is it just simple based on some threat and neutrality equation besided the rule of the DOW?

Only 3 games under my belt with TFH, but, so far, what I noticed is that the threat calculation has been modified. So, for example, if you play Romania and you go on rampage in the Balkans, you can generate so much threat that USA will react to you as you will be the prime source of threat to them. So they will DoW you (and your faction, if you are in one). I had a game where I was generating more threat than GErmany, who was at war with UK/France & Allies, while I was at war with Bulgaria, Hungary & Yugo... And still, USA DoW me (Romania) instead of Germany... then it joined the Allies and then it was at war with the whole Axis.

I don't know for the precise calculations, I'm sorry my knowledge doesn't extend beyond that.

I suspect that there is some relations between many variables, such as :

- regime in place (some regimes dislike other kind of regime)
- relation
- country script
- threat generated

I just had a quick peek at the diplomacy lua. as far as I can tell, the following factors are taken into account (barring country-specific AI scripts):
-Is their threat high enough to allow us to DoW/embargo someone?
-Is the threatening nation allied with, in the same faction as or friends with (150 relation) one of our (potential) enemies?
-Is the threatening nation at war with someone with whom we have a high relation (150+)?
-Is the threatening nation at war with someone with the same ideology as us?
-How does their military compare to ours?
-how high is our intel level of the threatening nation?
-probably some other stuff I didn't understand (I'm no modder)?

If all those come back positive, then you just might have a war on your hands.

Well thanks guys.
At least I somewhat closer to the answers. :)

And I got a question too. :) In case I acquire or conquer (via paratroopers maybe) some territory that is not connected to my mainland because I am or the territory is landlocked, than how does the resources and supply come and go? I guess the answer is no way, but can you verify it?

Last edited:
Well thanks guys.
At least I somewhat closer to the answers. :)

And I got a question too. :) In case I acquire or conquer (via paratroopers maybe) some territory that is not connected to my mainland because I am or the territory is landlocked, than how does the resources and supply come and go? I guess the answer is no way, but can you verify it?

You mean no port to get out ? ... Well, you have your answer... It is treated as the trading stuff

I just had a quick peek at the diplomacy lua. as far as I can tell, the following factors are taken into account (barring country-specific AI scripts):
-Is their threat high enough to allow us to DoW/embargo someone?
-Is the threatening nation allied with, in the same faction as or friends with (150 relation) one of our (potential) enemies?
-Is the threatening nation at war with someone with whom we have a high relation (150+)?
-Is the threatening nation at war with someone with the same ideology as us?
-How does their military compare to ours?
-how high is our intel level of the threatening nation?
-probably some other stuff I didn't understand (I'm no modder)?

If all those come back positive, then you just might have a war on your hands.

Seem like I was looking at the wrong .lua file
Thanks for the search !

Last edited:
How come when I have a division of 3 armor (9000 tanks) they can't break a single infantry division? Wouldn't in real life 9000 tanks steamroll 9000 infantry and send them running for their lives?

Think of it this way: 3 armored brigades aren't 9000 tanks, they're 9000 tank crews, support personnel, etc. Even Kursk, the largest tank battle in history, barely had over 9000 tanks in it.

How come when I have a division of 3 armor (9000 tanks) they can't break a single infantry division? Wouldn't in real life 9000 tanks steamroll 9000 infantry and send them running for their lives?

It could also depend on terrain, weather, leaders, doctrines, techs, air power, naval bombardment, fortifications, division composition, river crossing, etc.

Is it better to group up CAGs and then rebase to carrier or rebase them 1 by 1?

Group them 2 by 2... 1 stack for each CV... you'll need only 1 leader for 2 CAGs

Do they have the money to buy them? How much are you trying to sell? Who are you trading with?
Cap is at 20 supplies per trade, a lot of countries try to export them to get cash for other resources, and only a few actually buy it. If a country is running deficit of supply, it might be only temporary. US and SU are good buyers of supply.