• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No mods i play it at steam . I have the Motherland Expansion ;]
I am a little green at this game so how i edit saved game ?
I tried play this save by other nation like USSR and nothing crash . I control 3/4 of world by Germany .
Any help will please :D

Is it when the game is attempting to autosave?

No autosave . I control all Production Tech ... only Army is on AI control .

The crash and blank panels happened to me on Steam as well, use the verify all files function, that fixed it for me, 70some odd files were corrupt. In the Steam Library window, right click the Hearts of Iron III listing, select Properties, go to the Local Files Tab, click the Verify Integrity of Game Cache Button. Just let it run, it will take a while.

Still entirely new to the game: How do the forts and AA work? Do you have to manually use them? Or just have some units in the province, or?

Still entirely new to the game: How do the forts and AA work? Do you have to manually use them? Or just have some units in the province, or?

Forts and AA work automatically. Yes you must have troops in the fort for it to work.
The tool tip will tell you but I think it is 8% per fort level.
AA will fire on bombing planes in that province but not on planes flying over the province.

I'm sure this has been asked before but since this is my second time playing the game since the demo came out years ago I have to ask:
So I'm playing as Italy and I'm going to go to war against Yugoslavia. If I conquer them with a wargoal after a limited war I will of course get all YUG provinces. But I also get provinces that Hungary has cores on and they are part of the axis, is there a way for me to give this provinces to Hungary after the war or can Hungary get these in some other way other than directly marching into these provinces?

after ww1 certain parts of germany was annexed to france, poland and denmark etc

in ww2 these parts were reinstated into the reich

why is it that in the game it remains as occupied territory?

surely the danzig corridor region should be FULL GREY, while warsaw and rest of poland can be occupied

I'm sure this has been asked before but since this is my second time playing the game since the demo came out years ago I have to ask:
So I'm playing as Italy and I'm going to go to war against Yugoslavia. If I conquer them with a wargoal after a limited war I will of course get all YUG provinces. But I also get provinces that Hungary has cores on and they are part of the axis, is there a way for me to give this provinces to Hungary after the war or can Hungary get these in some other way other than directly marching into these provinces?

Easy way: edit the savegmae... and give them those provinces by mmanually editing the savegame.

Long way: You need them to set the "same war goal as you have" or "regain CORE war goal" and then occupy those areas. What I have done in previous solo game was to switch nations during play - while being on pause - (with "tag" function in the console) and select for them the proper war goal. Then, going back to my former nation, I would give them war objective (by clicking on each province individually). Then I would conquer only the territory they don't need and allow them to have a corridor to reach the areas they need... Don't take their capital too quickly... as Yugo would surrender before Hungary could take its CORE back.

Other than that, I don't know a way to give back territories you captured.

Easy way: edit the savegmae... and give them those provinces by mmanually editing the savegame.

Long way: You need them to set the "same war goal as you have" or "regain CORE war goal" and then occupy those areas. What I have done in previous solo game was to switch nations during play - while being on pause - (with "tag" function in the console) and select for them the proper war goal. Then, going back to my former nation, I would give them war objective (by clicking on each province individually). Then I would conquer only the territory they don't need and allow them to have a corridor to reach the areas they need... Don't take their capital too quickly... as Yugo would surrender before Hungary could take its CORE back.

Ok, thanks. Tag command in console, btw? Does that work in FTH?

Ok, thanks. Tag command in console, btw? Does that work in FTH?

Yes, the console is still there. To activate, well, the command differs from one keypad to another. On mine, it is ATLGr-0 (0 on the number pad). Here 's a discussion on which command allow you to open the console: LINK

How do I set allied objectives?

Click on a province. At the bottom right, there is an icon. You click and a small menu will open with flags from your allies. If you pick a flag (you can pick more than one), this will set an objective for one or many of your allies. AI does not always react quickly. But, over a certain period of time and pondering whatever other dangers it is facing, it will send something there. Be aware that AI does not always answer.

The easier way is to bring up the console, type TDBG, then mouse over the provinces you want to swap around, type changecontroller YYY XXXXX where YYY is the country 3 letter tag in all caps and XXXXX is the province ID. do the same with changeowner as well.

I'm playing a game as Argentina and declared war on Brazil who's in the allies. I hit a wall and loaded up as Brazil to see why. The Americans and British sent about half a million men as expeditionary forces to Brazil. Is this normal behavior? I should note Germany was dead at this point.

I'm playing a game as Argentina and declared war on Brazil who's in the allies. I hit a wall and loaded up as Brazil to see why. The Americans and British sent about half a million men as expeditionary forces to Brazil. Is this normal behavior? I should note Germany was dead at this point.

yep, the armies don't disband, so sit round waiting. your screwed :)

What you also want to do is check the combat efficiency inside the combat window. Things like nighttime, leader skills and doctrines or experience will influence the efficiency and work as a modifier for that value.
... Then you have the random targeting mechanic, a province with alot of different building types to target will probably have each of them take less damage since it's spread out. ... What buildings that show up as targets depends on mission though.

Finally different buildings can take different damage, AA for example is more resistant to bombing and as far as I remember take only 25% damage. These values can be found in the building files.

Thank you Alex! I checked the building file and AA and infra has this 25% damage.
I guess the "completion_size" value defines the size of the building which in turn defines which building is attacked the most in a bombing. Like the radar and the reactor is huge, but the port is smaller and the airfield is even smaller.

Although let's assume the efficiency is optimal (100%) and let's say the target province has 10 IC and 10 infra, X and Y resources. I bomb this province with my basic single strategic bomber / flying bomb / strat rocket and the mission is strategic attack. Than on 100% efficiency the strategic_attack value is 7 or 80 or 110. But how can translate this value to specific damage? X strategic_attack = Y damage; and I want to now the relation between X and Y.

Thank you Alex! I checked the building file and AA and infra has this 25% damage.
I guess the "completion_size" value defines the size of the building which in turn defines which building is attacked the most in a bombing. Like the radar and the reactor is huge, but the port is smaller and the airfield is even smaller.
Actually not really (at least not as far as I know).

Completion size is to define how much practical value you get from finishing the construction, so it's normally relative to the buildings cost. (that's why it's right below practical value), units also have this value in their files.

Than on 100% efficiency the strategic_attack value is 7 or 80 or 110. But how can translate this value to specific damage? X strategic_attack = Y damage; and I want to now the relation between X and Y.
I think the easiest way is to test it yourself. Run slow speed and notice how much lower their level goes every hour.

What you should also note is that all damage in combat is random, so it will be a bit different every time, think of the values as a maximum value of how many attacks that can be made and each attack has chance to hit or miss (depending on defense values in normal combat, but probably constant in strategic combat).

Last edited:
after ww1 certain parts of germany was annexed to france, poland and denmark etc
in ww2 these parts were reinstated into the reich
why is it that in the game it remains as occupied territory?
surely the danzig corridor region should be FULL GREY, while warsaw and rest of poland can be occupied
Germany may annexed them formally, however most parts of the land you mention, was either not inhabited by ethnic Germans, or the majority of the county voted against being part of the German Empire after WW1. Germany got definitely Resistance problems in Alsace-Lorraine, because most of the people there considered themselves to be frenchmen. That's the same with Northern Ireland: Officially they're part of the UK, however a significant part of the inhabitants considers themselves to be Irish, so the UK got more or less constant revolts there.

The easier way is to bring up the console, type TDBG, then mouse over the provinces you want to swap around, type changecontroller YYY XXXXX where YYY is the country 3 letter tag in all caps and XXXXX is the province ID. do the same with changeowner as well.
If both countries are at peace to each other, changeowner is fine alone, the controllership will change automatically on the next day change.

Nope, the number after completion_size indicates how much practical you get from that building.

ok so im playing my first game as Germany. Its 1947. I have been raising the threat of austria via esponage and have Italy, hngry and spain in my bottom right hand corner on diplo screen. Cant action war or ask to join faction mainly due to Nuetrality it seems.............how do I lower it? I have looked for adivisors, but none have the trait.

Am I being impatient? Should I wait for Austrias threat level to become higher than my Neautrality, attack them and thus cause Italy and other countries threat levels to rise? seems like that will take ages based upon what little threat I have manged on austria.

Nice trick, I shall remember

Is the reserve mission working correctly in TFH? Ive seen it work once in a previous game, but at the moment I cant get it working for my interceptors, its making managing them a nightmare.

If yes, what are the proper settings to get them working? defensive/passive/aggressive, priority #?

Thanks guys.