• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've been thinking of playing some HoI3, but have been reading a lot about how broken the Naval/Aerial aspects of the game are. I'd like to play a traditional Britain with a powerful navy and the ability to control the game in that aspect. Are the Naval/Aerial aspects too broken to make a Naval based super power in game?

Nah, you can play super-navy Britain no problem. I did it just the other day, letting my shiny new fleet of 6xCVs/6xCLs terrorize the Med while the older ships kept the North Sea and Atlantic clear. Japan was a little more difficult, but since I wiped out the Regina Marina before Japan entered the war, I could focus a lot more British firepower in the Pacific.

Kept the ocean clear of the Axis powers until I decided to initiate Operation Overlord-without-the-Yanks-because-the-Brits-can-do-it-alone in late 42. I had no problem gaining air superiority and invading Europe, overrunning Germany and Italy with reasonable speed. I would have liberated Europe sooner, but I had to liberate Spain as well. (I couped Franco out of power and Spain joined the Allies in 39, so Germany repaid the favor by annexing Spain out from under me...)

The "broken" parts of the navy and air force (if you can even call it that) are things like the UK and Japan not patrolling their home waters well or garrisoning home properly. Then there's things like how powerful CTFs are and how easy amphibious invasions are to execute. But if you play the UK, then you won't have to worry about gamey Sealion invasions where you spoof the RN away from the landing zone and drop 20 German Panzer divisions into Dover without them noticing. Since you are the RN, you won't be fooled easily.

As it came up I'd like to ask how often do the AI make invasions? I've seen the Brits and the Americans doing small invasions but do the other powers try out amphibious actions? I can understand that the Germans are cautious but I've never seen a Japanese invasion on mainland Asia.

As it came up I'd like to ask how often do the AI make invasions? I've seen the Brits and the Americans doing small invasions but do the other powers try out amphibious actions? I can understand that the Germans are cautious but I've never seen a Japanese invasion on mainland Asia.
Doesn't Japan AI invade Malaya/Singapore pretty much every game once at war with UK?

I've been playing the game for a while, but I've never really needed to buy production licenses- how do they work in relation to tech? If I buy a license from Japan, will it have my tech or theirs? Obviously I assume things like organization and morale will be based on my tech, but what about the guns, armor, engines, etc.?

I've been playing the game for a while, but I've never really needed to buy production licenses- how do they work in relation to tech? If I buy a license from Japan, will it have my tech or theirs? Obviously I assume things like organization and morale will be based on my tech, but what about the guns, armor, engines, etc.?
The tank, plane will be their at tech level.
Yes all moral org doctrine are your level.

Yeah, you get the unit with their equipment techs, but you have your own doctrine techs.

This distinction is crucial because if you can't afford to get some work done on relevant doctrines, then getting the unit is not super helpful.

This also means they never upgrade, but if you are in the license business, that's probably the least of your worries.

Yeah, you get the unit with their equipment techs, but you have your own doctrine techs.

This also means they never upgrade, but if you are in the license business, that's probably the least of your worries.

As far as I know licence build does upgrade, but not if the supplying nations tech level improves, only if the reciver manages to surpass that tech level.

It's actually supply consumption the trait reduces.
An army group commander reduces supply consumption by 5% per skill level (with a skill lvl 5 general, that would be 25%). The Division commander with Logistics Wizard reduces by 25%, an Corps commander by 12.5%, and Army leader by 6.25, an Army Group leader by 3.125, the Theater Commander by app. 1.5%.

Units that do not move btw. do not consume fuel.

Yes, according to the rules. But in practice, I see another.
If correct placement of the generals, Division does not consume fuel even when moving. According to the rules they have to consume at least 48.325% of its level, but not zero.
When Drag your mouse on the panel division, two green lines that indicate the fuel consumption and there is written: 0.00 spent fuel each day. I do not remember exactly, but when I was setting the generals with skill supply, each general reduced fuel consumption and ammunition by 100% - 250%. Until it became zero.

I play the 306 b.

I am planning a Communist Portugal game. Im using HPP, but the matter here is not related to the mod, since i've been told that the Attempt Coup feature is untouched.

I have edited the Party Support and Organisation in the game files, and the Communist Party has huge support&org. I start the game as the SU and place 10 spies in Portugal and attempt coups. Usually i get no message, but sometimes it says that the coup has failed and Portugal is outraged. Can anyone shed some light on the matter?

As far as I know licence build does upgrade, but not if the supplying nations tech level improves, only if the reciver manages to surpass that tech level.

Why would you buy a license if you are also researching the tech?

If you play a minor, it takes 3 levels of the light armor tech to unlock SP art. That's 13-14 techs for most minors to research, but if you can skip the unlocking tech and just research artillery you theoretically have up to date SP art without wasting valuable tech slots for something you'll never use (light armour).

I do not remember exactly, but when I was setting the generals with skill supply, each general reduced fuel consumption and ammunition by 100% - 250%. Until it became zero.

If multiple leaders reduce your need by 100 %, then your division would start to produce fuel, or cap at zero consumption. -250 % need for one leader is the next best thing to physically and logically impossible.

Just starting out a GC as Germany.I haven't played the game much......I have the BASICS down I think. (played HOI1 and HOI2 and watched all of Surrays Tutorials on youtube)

Why am I converting ALL available Oil to Fuel?

Nobody want to make 2 way trades with me? Only one way(me buy or sell)

Playing with FTM 3.05.

Why am I converting ALL available Oil to Fuel?

Why wouldn't you convert all available oil to fuel? You can't use oil for anything until it is turned into fuel. Are you trying to sell crude oil? If so, why not just sell fuel instead?

I thought that Oil was also used for IC.

If its just for Fuel then I'm ok. Now to fix the imbalances in metals and rares.

Aha, problem solved!

Oil is converted to fuel. Oil itself is not used for anything. Where you probably got confused is that the RATE of conversion is based on your IC. So, more IC = faster conversion of oil to fuel. This is modified heavily by the Refinery strategic resource. It is also modified by your tech.

And don't worry. If you are sitting at 99k fuel, the game will stop refining oil since you can't stockpile more fuel than that. :)

Bonus advice: There is also energy to oil conversion. So, you use energy to fuel IC, but you also convert a set amount of energy per day to oil if you have the right techs (coal to oil conversion). You might have misread the tool tips. And that function also stops if you are sitting on 99k oil.

Good I was hoping to find a thread like this :) . So I'm working with HOI3 vanilla (latest patch), Nat China, and am trying to create a convoy to a port on the korean peninsula from one of my china ports. How ever I am unable to create a convoy despite a plethora of ports for the destination. Is this because the AI is sending the supplies clear through manchuria (which I've mostly captured) an into the front line troops near seoul? Needless to say the supply lines are failing miserably and I'd love to run a few convoys over (i have the empty convoys sitting around) but the "create convoy" buttons are greyed out and so my game play has ground to a halt. I've got something like 30k supplies so I know I've got enough that way. Thanks for any help!