• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A pretty ignorant history question, but if two countries were allied, or in a faction together, would they still have armies bordering each other, or would they eventually redeploy to somewhere that is more of a threat?

I'd like to move some of my units around, but I don't want to leave a border entirely undefended, if it's a poor representation of what a country would actually do.

In my experience a unit or two may be left, but for the most part, no. However, I doubt the AI will care if you do move troops away.

A pretty ignorant history question, but if two countries were allied, or in a faction together, would they still have armies bordering each other, or would they eventually redeploy to somewhere that is more of a threat?

I'd like to move some of my units around, but I don't want to leave a border entirely undefended, if it's a poor representation of what a country would actually do.

The AI will usually redeploy to another border.

This is a really noobish question, but I keep getting a notification icon saying my research is inefficient. What am I doing wrong?
You're likely researching something ahead of time, for example researching 1944 small arms in 1938. You get inefficient research due to it being so far ahead.

Another solution is that you have for example 13.5 ldrshp towards research, but you are only researching 13 projects, the system regards that as inefficient since you could research half a project!

So nobody knows what sea defense value does? Seems like its out of whack in FTM because the values in FTM are way off from the HOI3 wiki.

Naval units had a drastic change in FTM. Before hull values represented size and defense represented armor.

However this was changed so that defense now is how easy it is for a ship avoiding the hit, and hull values now represent advances in armor (increasing the durability of ships). Further most heavier ships had their hull values significantly reduced in order to not be so hard to sink, so now it's less difference between how much hits the ships of different sizes can take, but heavy ships still deals much much more damage.

You're likely researching something ahead of time, for example researching 1944 small arms in 1938. You get inefficient research due to it being so far ahead.

Another solution is that you have for example 13.5 ldrshp towards research, but you are only researching 13 projects, the system regards that as inefficient since you could research half a project!

He is definitely researching too far ahead of time (the red icon). If there is spare LS that could be spent (on research or other), it is depicted with a green cogwheel icon.

Hy forum,

is it possible to replace files from he german installation with files from the english installation ?
My problem: missing pics from leaders (thanks to the german Bpjm) and wrong names (even stalin is not inclueded -.- ).

Playing as Germany, 1936 scenario. Russia declared war on me in 1938 and invaded. It is now 1942 and I've pushed them back to Moscow. If I take Moscow, Russia immediately surrenders and I "conquer" all of their land. The land turns grey with red lines, just like when I conquered poland, and all of their armies disappear.

I don't want this to happen, it seems ridiculous. Is there a way I can change the war so taking Moscow doesn't end it? I am not afraid to edit the savegame file to change the way the war works, if that is the only way.

Edit
Link removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing as Germany, 1936 scenario. Russia declared war on me in 1938 and invaded. It is now 1942 and I've pushed them back to Moscow. If I take Moscow, Russia immediately surrenders and I "conquer" all of their land. The land turns grey with red lines, just like when I conquered poland, and all of their armies disappear.

I don't want this to happen, it seems ridiculous. Is there a way I can change the war so taking Moscow doesn't end it? I am not afraid to edit the savegame file to change the way the war works, if that is the only way.

Edit
Link removed

So you want to play globe trecker with motorized brigades and partisans? :p

Cheers

Could someone explain stacking difficulties to me ? (..)

In land combat you can attack without stacking, if the number divisions does not exceed 3n+1, where n is the number of provinces, which you attack from. Thus, from one province you should not attack with more than 4 divisions, from two provinces with no more than 7 divisions and so on.

The penalty for overstacking is quite severe. One division over the limit gets 10% malus, two suffer 19%, three receive 27%... The theatre commander reduces the malus by one percent for each skill level, so even a highly skilled 4 will only take off 4%. It is therefore better to always stay below the stacking limit.

when the heck is official 3.06 coming out! i thought it was meant to be late june early july

its going to be the last patch for FTM, they want to make sure its right so... if they miss something with this one its unlikely it will get fixed for FTM ever

Hi all. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but me and my father play Semper Fi 2.04d on LAN and sometimes during the war he gets a "game no longer in syncron" message (i'm host, but this happens vice-versa) and the game becomes unplayable for him. What can we do about this?

Hi all. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but me and my father play Semper Fi 2.04d on LAN and sometimes during the war he gets a "game no longer in syncron" message (i'm host, but this happens vice-versa) and the game becomes unplayable for him. What can we do about this?

Rehost the game. Out of sync happens in MP game. Just launch the game from desk.

I have a question. I just bought a new laptop and was wondering will I be able to email myself a saved FTM game and drop it into the saved games folder once I download steam on it?

yes you probably could but it would take FOREVER! Emails can't generally take more than a few MBs and HOI save games are massive. it would probably be easier to do a hard drive transfer (or a flash drive, but it'd have to be a really big one)

You would just need to drop it into the save folder in your Hoi3 install on your laptop. It will work fine provided the Hoi3 on your laptop is running the same game version as your save file is from. Looking at my save folder, the saves range from 8 to 17 megs which is within the limits of gmail's attachment size, so they would be an option for it.

@ LoftenHenderson - cheapo 16gig flash drives cost a measly $10 these days, and you could fit well over a thousand save files on it.