• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1) High skilled goes first to AG then army for me. But if I have a skill 4 LW general I place him at theater level.
2) Low skill with many traints (and old school) go tot he corps level. If they are low skill with 2+ traits and do not have old school (the one that limits xp gain), place them in a division to raise XP fast.
3) AG level for me as he has 5 skill with many good traits that are now given to all units in the AG.
4) Depends. If using AI it is much better to go for more divisions that are smaller in size. If there is a small front and not many provinces go for 5 brigade, else it is better to cover the front.
5) Actually you get 3 divisions of (4xINF+1xART) into a single province battle.

Some questions since I tried playing SU with the purge (won´t play anymore until Germany is fixed however, but I´d like some input for future SU games with next patches).

SU has hundreds of units, and after the purge it has so few quality generals that creating a good chain of command is nearly impossible and compromises have to be made. So:

1- Where is best to put generals with high skill? As theather commander? Army group? I´d suppose army group due to ORG bonus.
2- What about generals with traits? Specially Defensive trait? I´d suppose corps level, above that the bonus might be to diluted.
3- What about superb and precious leaders like Zhukov? Keep them in a division level, or above?
4- Is it worth to go for the Superior Firepower and 5 brigade divisions? I´d suppose yes, less divisions = easier to concentrate good generals.
5- How to organize said 5 brigade divisions? Considering combat width, making 3 divisions is 4 INF and 1 ART is pointless since only 2 will participate. What if I make 1 division with 4 INF and 1 ART and 2 with 3 INF and 2 ART? Or is there another optimal setup for 5-brigade divisions?

1. I'd say put your best leaders on army group level because of the supply reduction. Less used supplies means more IC to spend. Organisation bonus is on the army level.

2. Actually, trait's aren't diluted. For a single division, sure. But look at the big picture. A defensive trait on a single division gives a 10% bonus. If the leader is put in charge of the corps instead, the bonus is only 5%. But that bonus is given to as many five divisions* for a grand total of 25% bonus. Although, this is ignoring any rounding errors that might exist. All in all I'd say traits are relatively unimportant. It's nice to stack Panzer leaders for a hard hitting armoured formation, but otherwise I don't care much.

3. At least for me, it's not an easy question. I like a bit of roleplay and it feels silly to have Zhukov in charge of a mere division. But if you do, he'll be quick to reach skill 6 or even higher. However, a lower skilled leader catches up pretty quickly because of the retained XP when levelling. So the optimal solution might be to have Zhukov as an army group commander until his subordinates surpass him in skill after a few years of war - then he can be degraded to army command or something.

4, 5 and *. General concentration isn't everything. Smaller divisions, and looser HQ structures, (not 5 units per level) are more flexible. It's up to your play style.

As for division composition, I'd avoid having divisions with different width. It's seldom that your planed optimal battle line actually is available. For example, how often are is an attack coming from only one province? You, as well as your enemy (the AI), will seek to attack from 2 or more provinces meaning the combat width will be 15 or more.

Also note that with width 4, and even 5, you can squeeze 3 divisions on the front. You can exceed the 10 width limit, but not add anything after you've exceeded it. 3 divisions of 5 width do fit since you don't exceed, only tangent, the limit with 2x5.

I'd go with something like 3Inf+2Art. Don't know if it's optimal but it's at least a competent division style.

Great thanks for the answers. BTW, the Wiki states that the stacking penalty is for divisions, not brigades - correct? So above 5 divisions per front, 1% malus per division?

So if 3 5-brigade divisions can fight together they will pack lots of firepower, gonna try using those a bit more.

frontage if i remember is by brigade type with combat (inf or armor) 1 mostly and support
(art and flak) having 0. the more combat brigades the higher the frontage. this is reduced
by techs in some instances.

I see that it's possible to research both Jet and Aero engine concurrently. Does this give a double bonus to speed/double nerf to range, or does the aero engine become obsolete? (hoi3 vanilla).

You get a new unit "Jets"... so you can produce either conventional planes, or jets. I don't remember the jets stats as I got them just recently in a SP game. So I don't remmeber the difference in stats.

You get a new unit "Jets"... so you can produce either conventional planes, or jets. I don't remember the jets stats as I got them just recently in a SP game. So I don't remmeber the difference in stats.

That is not how it is in my games. FTM no mods once I get jet engines there is only one type of each plane, a jet.
I do not have the option to build either a jet or normal interceptor.

Another one about air research.

What the fighter doctrine techs for targeting do (I mean, those about fighter and bomber targeting)? What about the similar CAS doctrines for reserve or frontline units? Do either of those increase damage or they are just purely to affect what air units decide to target? Because if it only improves target selection they are pretty expensive, and therefore useless IMO.

That is not how it is in my games. FTM no mods once I get jet engines there is only one type of each plane, a jet.
I do not have the option to build either a jet or normal interceptor.

Check your tech tree. There is a tech that will allow you to build Jets (rocket interceptor). Once you got that one, you will get the new unit in your production window.

Just one quick question: How long do truces last?

Best I can do is the small red icon top left of screen. {[(.)]}
Tool tip shows non aggression pact time remaining.

One quick question. Is it a good idea to combine BB's or battlecruisers or heavy cruisers with carriers? I've been avoiding this because a long time ago i herd that doing this changes the way carrier fleets fight thus making the carriers easier to sink. Not sure if this is true.

One quick question. Is it a good idea to combine BB's or battlecruisers or heavy cruisers with carriers? I've been avoiding this because a long time ago i herd that doing this changes the way carrier fleets fight thus making the carriers easier to sink. Not sure if this is true.

yep its a bad idea most of the time. the captial componet of a fleet pretty much decides if it stays to fight or leaves. seeing as a carrier dosn't need to be fighting to be using its cags its far better for it to break off ASAP, BB and the like stay to fight meaning the carrier gets dameged.

I know that, I think the person i was quoting was mixing up that difference. Thats all I meant by my comment.

Well, you need the Jet engine tech researched to be able to trigger the rocket jet tech, which will bring you the new unit. This said, the jet engine gives, as you say, better stats to all kind of interceptors.

Another one about air research.

What the fighter doctrine techs for targeting do (I mean, those about fighter and bomber targeting)? What about the similar CAS doctrines for reserve or frontline units? Do either of those increase damage or they are just purely to affect what air units decide to target? Because if it only improves target selection they are pretty expensive, and therefore useless IMO.

If there are mixed enemy stacks with bombers and fighters, this tech would allow to shift the targeting to either of these. As something is always targeted anyway, and I don't mind whether it is a bomber or fighter, I find both techs completely useless, too.

That usually shows the non-aggression pact and the time till that expires

Best I can do is the small red icon top left of screen. {[(.)]}
Tool tip shows non aggression pact time remaining.

I'm looking here for the effect of the last_war="19**.**.**" from saves and when it goes away on its own