• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is it better to have 4 identical divisions in a corps or a mixture like 2 arm 2 mech.

You would usually want to limit the combat width of your divisions to 2 or 3, so that at least four divisions can move to the front line during battle. Besides that, Arm goes best with SpArt and Eng, while Mech is better combined with LArm, AC and SpRArt, all of which will not slow down Mech as Arm does.

it doesn't matter. you could even have 5 different divisions if you like it.

Not entirely true. If I have a Panzer Leader in charge of that Corps, it damn well better be composed entirely of divisions with the CA bonus. Ditto at the next level, too.

This is a really stupid question, but how often will the AI even consider accepting an alliance with you? What are the conditions that make them do so?

Also, kind of off the first, can an Axis member accept simply an alliance with a non-Axis member?

Not entirely true. If I have a Panzer Leader in charge of that Corps, it damn well better be composed entirely of divisions with the CA bonus. Ditto at the next level, too.

A PL/OD/LW will give valuable benefits (OD and LW) to any attached mobile Division, whether it gets the CA bonus or not.

I typically have three different types of Divisions in my Panzer Corps... 1 x LArmx3/ACx1, 2 x Armx2/MOTx1/SPArtx1, and 2 x MOTx2/TDx2.

You would usually want to limit the combat width of your divisions to 2 or 3, so that at least four divisions can move to the front line during battle.

Three width-5 Divisions can fight on a frontage of 10. Three Armx2/MOTx1/SPArtx1 Divisions (width 5 prior to Spearhead Doctrine) might well be stronger than any comparable early-war width-2 or width-3 build. They do get the +20% Hard-on-Soft bonus, after all.

This is a really stupid question, but how often will the AI even consider accepting an alliance with you? What are the conditions that make them do so?

Also, kind of off the first, can an Axis member accept simply an alliance with a non-Axis member?

1. The problem is that AI countries join factions over signing alliances. You'd need a country sufficiently powerful that the AI would care but not so powerful that it'll be welcomed into a faction. Tricky balancing there.

2. If the member is nonaligned, it's theoretically possible but extremely unlikely.

A PL/OD/LW will give valuable benefits (OD and LW) to any attached mobile Division, whether it gets the CA bonus or not.

But a Panzer Leader won't give any benefits to a non-CA division. Why waste him on divisions that he doesn't help? :)

How does pausing in Multiplayer work? I pause all the time to change the constant changes in the production tab for things like upgrades, supply, etc.

Every player can pause the game and only the host can change the speed. Many MP games have rules against / limiting pausing.

Every player can pause the game and only the host can change the speed. Many MP games have rules against / limiting pausing.

That's correct. At speed 1/2 it's not really necessary to pause the game.

Playing with Poland, has anybody managed to conclude a non-agression pact with Germany? or thats a waste of time and resources??

Well, in my singleplayer games I saw the AI never accept a NAP.. :(

I'm playing FTM as the US[not yet at war]. The Philippines are a puppet and I have troops stationed there. They are drawing their supply from Manilla, which is not sufficient. Why can't I set up a supply convoy from the US to the Philippines? Esp. since there is a resource convoy coming the other way.

The ability to supply my troops has been a continuing issue for me through HOI, SF and now FTM? I just don't understand why I can't establish convoys to supply my troops when, for example, they're being staged in England for an invasion of the mainland. I was lead to believe that FTM solved or at least addressed this issue. Thanks!

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere but this is a lot of material to look through.

I just loaded up as the UK in my Japanese game for a laugh and I immediately noticed that they only had 7, yes that's right, 7 metal. I have been sinking a lot of their convoys and I have complete control over their Indian and Pacific colonies but is this a glitch or something? I think they have had the German and Italian Navy under control so why would they not try to trade with the US?

Should I manually give them some more metal/set-up some trades or are they this low on metal due to their lost convoys and colonies? Or would maybe giving them some more convoys do the trick? They seem to be in a major bother with them with +210 currently under construction.

edit: I also had a similar problem to Richard with puppets not being able to supply my troops. Is there any work around to this?

I'm playing FTM as the US[not yet at war]. The Philippines are a puppet and I have troops stationed there. They are drawing their supply from Manilla, which is not sufficient. Why can't I set up a supply convoy from the US to the Philippines? Esp. since there is a resource convoy coming the other way.

The ability to supply my troops has been a continuing issue for me through HOI, SF and now FTM? I just don't understand why I can't establish convoys to supply my troops when, for example, they're being staged in England for an invasion of the mainland. I was lead to believe that FTM solved or at least addressed this issue. Thanks!

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere but this is a lot of material to look through.

You can't establish convoy 'cause you don't control any ports in Philippines. Your puppet does. So the game considers that your puppet is supplying your troops, as it is the closest source of supply.

There is nothing you can do. Worst, be aware that when your puppet will be conquered, all territories not occupied by your USA troops will turn Japanese... So you will have no where to retreat/move without conquering it 1st, nor will you have any possible lines of supply. Could be a real drag short term...

Thanks, pretty much what I suspected. Is it logical to assume that later when I move troops to an ally's territory the same problem will occur? How can you launch an offensive or invasion in Europe if you can't adequately supply your troops?

Thanks, pretty much what I suspected. Is it logical to assume that later when I move troops to an ally's territory the same problem will occur? How can you launch an offensive or invasion in Europe if you can't adequately supply your troops?

Units in allied territory are automatically "covered" by supply transfers from you to the ally (from capital to capital). Difficulties can arise, though, when the allied capital has been moved to a different continent (as happens to Belgium or the Netherlands) or if the ally sees all this extra supply coming in and decides to reduce its own supply production and eat your beans instead of cooking its own.

Yeah, Phillipines is a royal pain. I couldn't even base A/C at Clark Field without running out of supply. Much less move out of Manila. It does get better if Japan conquers and you take it back and "forget" to liberate.

Manpower returns to your pool on a 1:1 basis, AFAIK.

Are AA units really worth the cost in research time and IC? I know they help protect against air attacks, but wouldn't the resources be better employed researching/producing something else?
Worth the IC yes I think so. Especially if you count the manpower they can save by putting enemy bombers out of action. Depends on many things though, most of the time getting interceptors would probably be cheaper and more flexible at 1 airwing inteceptors for the same IC as 9 brigades of AA.

Worth the research cost/time? Not really if you just want them for air attack, since they start out pretty good and are not improved much by research (5.0 + 0.3 per 2 years IIRC).
Researching their soft/hard attack should only be worth it if you build them in huge amounts.

If you for example have 50 brigades AA and 300 brigades INF you get roughly the same total soft attack + hard attack from 8 tech levels AA as you do from one level of INF small arms & AT.