• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A division below 50% softness attacking a target above 50% softness get a 20% bonus to damage done to the enemy organization.

I keep hearing about this "hard on soft bonus," but have no idea where this information comes from. There is no such bonus in the defines.lua, and I know for certain that hard attack is not applied to soft targets (unless FTM changed this). So, could someone please explain where I can find this modifier?

From defines.lua:

Code:
	LAND_COMBAT_ORG_DICE_SIZE = 4,
	LAND_COMBAT_STR_DICE_SIZE = 2,
	LAND_COMBAT_STR_ARMOR_ON_SOFT_DICE_SIZE = 2,
	LAND_COMBAT_ORG_ARMOR_ON_SOFT_DICE_SIZE = 5,

From defines.lua:

Code:
	LAND_COMBAT_ORG_DICE_SIZE = 4,
	LAND_COMBAT_STR_DICE_SIZE = 2,
	LAND_COMBAT_STR_ARMOR_ON_SOFT_DICE_SIZE = 2,
	LAND_COMBAT_ORG_ARMOR_ON_SOFT_DICE_SIZE = 5,

I always took those lines to mean that when an armoured unit attacked a soft target, those modifiers were applied to its soft attack. It was also my understanding that an armoured unit uses its soft attack against against a soft defender, not its hard attack. In this way, armour got a bonus not enjoyed by other units that had hard attack (such as TD, AT). This info will certainly change the way I configure my armoured divisions. Thank you.

... and I know for certain that hard attack is not applied to soft targets...

A firing unit uses one point of Soft Attack AND one point of Hard Attack with each shot (assuming that it has them available). It's always been that way.

A division below 50% softness attacking a target above 50% softness get a 20% bonus to damage done to the enemy organization.

Wouldn't that be a +25% bonus... d5 instead of d4?

Hey all.

I somehow seem to have turned off the graphic links of the command structure. Meaning when I now select a Corps HQ, it does not show (graphically) which divisions are in that corps. I was playing with hotkeys and I think I must of toggled something?

Thanks!

Hey all.

I somehow seem to have turned off the graphic links of the command structure. Meaning when I now select a Corps HQ, it does not show (graphically) which divisions are in that corps. I was playing with hotkeys and I think I must of toggled something?

Thanks!

If you mean, the little green lines linking HQs to Divisions... that's in the at-start game options menu.

Hey all.

Thanks!

HOT-Key = "H"

Took me a while to find out.

A firing unit uses one point of Soft Attack AND one point of Hard Attack with each shot (assuming that it has them available). It's always been that way.

Yet again it seems I have the misfortune of owning a printed version of the HOI3 manual, wherein it leaves the impression that units get one shot chance per each round of combat. To further muddy the waters, it also states that a unit will use either its soft OR hard attack, dependent upon which portion of the target it is shooting at. By your statement, as long as the unit passes the check to take a shot, it gets two shots at the target. This seems strange, but you have provided a wealth of very useful knowledge on pretty much anything HOI3, so I accept it.

2 Questions:

1) How come sometimes when I attack somebody they join a faction but other times don't? For example, I had a game as Venezuela where declaring war on Columbia forced them into the Comintern. This made no sense, as there was no Comintern members in the adjacent area.

2) Also, I edited out the USA guarantees on South America yet within a couple years the USA goes throwing around guarantees like candy. How can I edit out this annoyance?

2 Questions:

1) How come sometimes when I attack somebody they join a faction but other times don't? For example, I had a game as Venezuela where declaring war on Columbia forced them into the Comintern. This made no sense, as there was no Comintern members in the adjacent area.

2) Also, I edited out the USA guarantees on South America yet within a couple years the USA goes throwing around guarantees like candy. How can I edit out this annoyance?

1) If you're in a faction that is at war with another faction, then upon declaring war on a neutral country, it'll join the faction that is fighting your faction.

2) Might want to check the .lua or however they're called files related to AI stuff, should be somewhere in the folders.

2 Quickies:

1) Are your actions/strategies in the game sort of limited onto the WWII type events? Like can you make up any strategy you want for a country (eg Invading Germany as France, rather than them you - taking Spain as France etc.) or do you have to stick to the WWII events type "template" so to call it.

2) When starting up a new game, what exactly do you do to start off? Do you have to re-organised the whole OOB to have it be effective? (Seems you start off with terrible OOB)

Probably worded terribly i'm sorry, but cheers!

Yet again it seems I have the misfortune of owning a printed version of the HOI3 manual, wherein it leaves the impression that units get one shot chance per each round of combat. To further muddy the waters, it also states that a unit will use either its soft OR hard attack, dependent upon which portion of the target it is shooting at. By your statement, as long as the unit passes the check to take a shot, it gets two shots at the target. This seems strange, but you have provided a wealth of very useful knowledge on pretty much anything HOI3, so I accept it.

My answer was correct... and so is the manual (roughly speaking).

As stated, a firing unit expends both one SA shot and one HA shot in each combat impulse, assuming that it hasn't yet run out of one or the other type of shot. Since a roll is then made to determine the target aspect (Hard or Soft) for that impulse, only one of these two shots will actually be used.

Then why do I insist that the firing unit expends both HA and SA every impulse, if it makes no difference? It DOES make a difference: it affects the total number of shots that the firing unit will take at the target.

Suppose a firing unit has (after all modifications) SA 20 and HA 8. In each combat round, it can fire a maximum of 20 times, since it expends ONE OF EACH type of shot (SA and HA) each impulse. The first 8 shots will have the potential for causing damage regardless of the rolled target aspect... since it still has both types of shot available. The next 12 shots will only have the potential for causing damage if the target aspect roll is "Soft"... since the firing unit has already run out of HA.

If instead it expended only one type of shot each impulse, HA or SA, depending on the rolled target aspect, then it would be capable of firing a maximum of 28 times (instead of 20!)... 20 shots of SA and 8 shots of HA... if the target aspect rolls cooperated.

This is not the case.

Last edited:
My answer was correct... and so is the manual (roughly speaking).

As stated, a firing unit expends both one SA shot and one HA shot in each combat impulse, assuming that it hasn't yet run out of one or the other type of shot. Since a roll is then made to determine the target aspect (Hard or Soft) for that impulse, only one of these two shots will actually be used.

Then why do I insist that the firing unit expends both HA and SA every impulse, if it makes no difference? It DOES make a difference: it affects the total number of shots that the firing unit will take at the target.

Suppose a firing unit has (after all modifications) SA 20 and HA 8. In each combat round, it can fire a maximum of 20 times, since it expends ONE OF EACH type of shot (SA and HA) each impulse. The first 8 shots will have the potential for causing damage regardless of the rolled target aspect... since it still has both types of shot available. The next 12 shots will only have the potential for causing damage if the target aspect roll is "Soft"... since the firing unit has already run out of HA.

If instead it expended only one type of shot each impulse, HA or SA, depending on the rolled target aspect, then it would be capable of firing a maximum of 28 times (instead of 20!)... 20 shots of SA and 8 shots of HA... if the target aspect rolls cooperated.

This is not the case.

This makes sense. Thank you for clearing up my confusion.