• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Semper Fi - starting as Japan 1941 - trying to command Strike Force to sortie against Honolulu -- but when I right-click on Honolulu and the command dialogue comes up -- all the options (sortie, etc.) are grayed out.

Semper Fi - starting as Japan 1941 - trying to command Strike Force to sortie against Honolulu -- but when I right-click on Honolulu and the command dialogue comes up -- all the options (sortie, etc.) are grayed out.

are you out of range?

You should be able to assign the mission to the CAGs themselves, either one at a time, or hit the CAG button to select all the CAGs at once.

Does a division gain bonus if an engineer is detached from it, but attacks the same province ?

No - The Attack & Defend modifiers of a division are the average of the statistics of the all the brigades in that division only. Here's a rough example: Let's pretend for this sake that 1 ARM brigade has a 50% penalty for river crossing, and a ENG brigade has 0% river crossing penalty. So, if a 2 ARM brigade division attacks across a river, it would suffer a 50% river crossing penalty. However, if a 2 ARM/1 ENG division attacked across the same river, it would only suffer a 33.3% river crossing penalty.
The same sort math applies across the board.

Edit: At least that is my understanding of it - I am by no means an experienced HoI player. Please, correct me if I have misspoken.

Last edited:
FTM: Playing as Italy, can I expect to keep what I take in France or will the Vichy event create historical borders regardless of what happens? I seem to remember reading that there was a problem, but I can't remember if it was fixed.

FTM: Does sending Expeditionary forces gain you any advatages? Like Land/Air combat experience (to speed up some doctrine research early in the game) or the unit gains experience?

That would be correct in my experience.

Speaking of engineers crossing a river, I've always thought it buggy funny that two units attacking a third unit sat on a river hex, from both sides, at the same time, get the River crossing penalty :

A -> C <- B

Attackers : A, B
Defenders : C

A&B both get the river crossing penalty.

C must be fighting inside the river, underwater, that's IT! :rolleyes:

No - The Attack & Defend modifiers of a division are the average of the statistics of the all the brigades in that division only. Here's a rough example: Let's pretend for this sake that 1 ARM brigade has a 50% penalty for river crossing, and a ENG brigade has 0% river crossing penalty. So, if a 2 ARM brigade division attacks across a river, it would suffer a 50% river crossing penalty. However, if a 2 ARM/1 ENG division attacked across the same river, it would only suffer a 33.3% river crossing penalty.
The same sort math applies across the board.

Edit: At least that is my understanding of it - I am by no means an experienced HoI player. Please, correct me if I have misspoken.

Last edited:
Few quick questions:
1. Are there still problems with espionage (allies actions against your country) and all year long rains over the oceans (i would like to play Japan)?
2. With HoI3 patch/extras configurations (without mods) is best for Japan? Germany?
3. Are there any Japan specific mods??

1/ I admit to have seen the same sometimes. Whether bug or not, my advice would be to get rid of all the spies in your country at the beginning of the game, irregardless of owner. Spike your Counter-intelligence efforts for about a month or two, till you consistently get 0 spies caught. After this point, I never noticed allied countries with hostile actions in the country I was playing.

About the rain, I don't know how it was before. Weather seems cyclical in the latest version, even for Japan.

2/ For Germany, I can recommend DIG. For Japan, vanilla is a pretty decent challenge enough. I have yet to try HPP or DIG starting as that country.

3/ I don't know of any specific ones, I wish there were :)

HPP and ICE improve the historical context, unit and their characteristics, OOB, etc. on a lot of countries. Why not give them a try ?

Few quick questions:
1. Are there still problems with espionage (allies actions against your country) and all year long rains over the oceans (i would like to play Japan)?
2. With HoI3 patch/extras configurations (without mods) is best for Japan? Germany?

Minister traits:

What does exactly "threat impact" do?
I can't understand at all.

And "Susceptibility to Comintern/Allies/Axis" mean something only for faction leaders? Or neutral country can assign this guy for quick jump in faction?

Minister traits:

What does exactly "threat impact" do?
I can't understand at all.

And "Susceptibility to Comintern/Allies/Axis" mean something only for faction leaders? Or neutral country can assign this guy for quick jump in faction?

My quess would be that HoG "naive Optimist" with threat impact -10% means underestimating threat from foreign nations, while Foreign minister Iron-Fisted Brute with threat impact +5% exaggerates threat.

Susceptibility to Comintern/Allies/Axis means that using the minister in question increases your nations drift toward that faction, making it easier to join them.

Is rebasing of air units realistic? As an example I rebased a squadron of Wildcats from Naha, just south of Japan, to Dover, England and it took 13 hours over 10000 km mostly foreign terrain. This implies an average speed of 770 km/h continuous flying. A sensational world record for the time, 1943? Since there isn't a continuous series of airfields within the range of the fighter, I believe the rebasing would take several weeks? Sorry if this has been discussed elesewhere.

Few quick questions:

just be aware that allies carrying out counterespionage in your country is very helpful dont mistake it for a hostile act they only kill your enemies spies

Is rebasing of air units realistic? As an example I rebased a squadron of Wildcats from Naha, just south of Japan, to Dover, England and it took 13 hours over 10000 km mostly foreign terrain. This implies an average speed of 770 km/h continuous flying. A sensational world record for the time, 1943? Since there isn't a continuous series of airfields within the range of the fighter, I believe the rebasing would take several weeks? Sorry if this has been discussed elesewhere.

This is something the Devs have done to simplify management of aircraft (for human and AI). IT was the same way in HOI2.

I attached a division of paratroopers to a Corp Para HQ so I could take along the HQ doing a paradrop, but it will not let the HQ have the option to board the plane. If this is indeed the case, if a do my paradrop behind enemy lines with no HQ, my troopers will me out of range of their Corp HQ. Can the HQ go with the Paratroopers ?