• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No. Think of it this way - a local Frenchman is a German informant, aka a spy in game-terms. There's no way he would be effective as a spy in Italy, China, the US, etc.

Ah, makes sense.

Combined arms is mix of units right? However I don't get the combined arms icon for a division consisting of Eng, L Arm, Inf, Art, Anti-tank. However I do get the icon for for L Arm and Motorised. Does everything have to be a vehicle based unit to get combined arms bonus?

Sort of, since the CA bonus is determined by softness. Softness between 33% and 66% will give you the bonus. You won't get the CA bonus from infantry, but you will by mixing tanks and motorized infantry. There should be a column in the division builder screen that shows the softness of each brigade.

Combined arms is mix of units right? However I don't get the combined arms icon for a division consisting of Eng, L Arm, Inf, Art, Anti-tank. However I do get the icon for for L Arm and Motorised. Does everything have to be a vehicle based unit to get combined arms bonus?

The Light Armor isn't "hard" enough to offset the softness of all those other "soft" units. Mixing two Light Armor and one infantry unit would probably put you in the 33-66% range, or mixing Medium Armor in an even proportion with them.

The advantage of having it all motorized is one of speed. No point in mixing in a motorized and a non-motorized unit in the same division, because they're all limited by the speed of the slowest.

Adding Artillery or Engineers isn't required for the Combined Arms bonus. The advantage of Artillery is that it occupies no "frontage", allowing you to commit more total brigades to the attack.

I recently purchased HOI3 and I am trying to learn the game while playing Canada. I am in the Allies, and my neutrality is below 75. When I try to move my troops across the Atlantic to help in the war, I keep getting a message that the distance is too far for my transport fleet to cross? Is there some other method I can use to get troops to Europe or Africa?

Both Brazil and Argentina have joined the Axis, but the game will not allow me to attack them as Canada. I figured that any Allied nation could openly attack and Axis nation. Do I really have to drive my neutrality down even lower to freely attack Axis members?

Thank you for your help!

Transports have a set range which can't be increased, so no invading Brazil or Argentine from Canada itself.

That said, you can rebase your transports to allied ports and move troops that way.

Both Brazil and Argentina have joined the Axis, but the game will not allow me to attack them as Canada. I figured that any Allied nation could openly attack and Axis nation. Do I really have to drive my neutrality down even lower to freely attack Axis members?

Thank you for your help!

The Axis have the ability for limited war. When a nation joins the Axis it's not necessarily part of the war yet. It either chooses to join in the war, or the leader Germany has to ask them to enter the war. The Allies are normally only at war with Germany and its puppets, and then only with other Axis nations as they choose to enter the war (or if they independently declare war on an Allied nation). It may seem confusing and someone more knowledable about limited war may have a better explanation than I gave.

You can see which nations you are currently at war with in the diplomatic mode on the main map, or as a list within the diplomacy screen, under your flag.

Research cooperation in HOI3. In HOI2 my AI allies were giving me blueprints for free, sometimes possible to buy quite cheaply.
What can I expect here in this matter?

as far as i know, you only share your "theory" values (which makes it eaiser to reshearch the subject in question, for example "infantry", "armour" "Light Aricraft". a high theory can cut somthing like a 1/3 off the Research time.)

however, you can ask your allies to let you build things via "production licenses" , which lets you build thier version of that thing (for example, a destroyer flotilla, or a brigade of heavy armour). you use your own IC and materails to build it, but it is built to thier tech design. this is done via the diplomacy screen (look for "buy production License"). bear in mind you can't buy every type of unit (captial ships, notabley, cannot be made this way)

so, you can't get whole techs off other nations, just quicker reshearch, but you can get the improved units via another methord.

Does counterespionaging in a nation that is in your faction counter the spies of that nation or of enemies.

For example, I am Germany and my ally is Italy (also in axis). If my spies in Italy are on counterespionage will they counter the Italian spies or spied that are in Italy from Britain.

performing counter espionage in a member of your faction assists them by booting out enemy spies. You can see this when friendly foreign spies are in your own country as well. When you get the tool tip list of spy missions in your country enemies hurting your spies with counter espionage are colored red, friends hunting enemy spies with counter espionage are colored green.