• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
According to that screen, all my units together use 270 oil, still I'm losing a few thousand per day, then it goes on the plus side for a moment, and minus again. Bottomline - the losses counted monthly are much greater (i.e. 20 times as big) than what the units are using... I can't make heads or tails of it. No convoy is transporting oil...
I would be guessing that is because if the unit has been using no or little fuel (and haven't been using for some time) there will be very little fuel in your network.

The longer away your units are from capital the greater is this effect, for example if your units need 270 fuel and they are an average of 30 provinces away the entire network need 8100 fuel to be "filled" and start delivering to the units. If your units are on low fuel they will start requesting twice that amount. Since fuel (and supplies) only move one province a day all provinces between the unit and their source needs at least the daily consumption to deliver to the next one.

Temporary fluctuations are normal with the current supply-system, and they should normalize back to your 270 needed according the statistics within a few days. Also your not actually losing the fuel, just sending it into the network.

To prevent this from happening you should be careful and try to not strategically redeploying to much armour and air-force at once. (Since this will reset their supply-path and start over)

Could somOne explain officers ratio for me please?

It's a multiplier to your organization and attack delay, so very important to keep as high as you can to get an effective army (and navy/airforce too since their org is affected).

The maximum is 140%.

Every additional brigade you build has a cost for example 100 officers. If you spend enough leadership to produce 20 officers per day you thus need 5 days per brigade to give it 100% ratio, and 7 days to give it 140% ratio.

Since it's averaged out over your entire army building alot of land units will cause it to drop quite fast!

The maximum is 140%.!
In vanilla HoI3 (i.e, without the expansions) the limit is 200%. While you don't need to have your ratio at the maximum, you should at least have it a health bit higher than 100%. It is almost always worth it to invest extra leadership on officers rather than say technology - a single tech has much smaller effect than a slightly heightened officer ratio.

Okay, my quick question (Semper Fi patched up to date): It's end of September 1939, Poland just collapsed, do I rush to take out Low Countries and France at this late a date in the year (start time for hostilities would probably be mid October after strat redeploys), or settle into Phony war?

Not sure about realistic collapse time (France's NU is still pretty high) in HoI3 and difficulty of Winter on Western front.

Okay, my quick question (Semper Fi patched up to date): It's end of September 1939, Poland just collapsed, do I rush to take out Low Countries and France at this late a date in the year (start time for hostilities would probably be mid October after strat redeploys), or settle into Phony war?

Not sure about realistic collapse time (France's NU is still pretty high) in HoI3 and difficulty of Winter on Western front.

why not attack them all at once? weather is not really a big problem especially in high infrastructure western europe.

I play as USSR on hard (1936 camp.) and the Germans crack my defenses. So I conclude I have build to many IC and not enough infantry divisions ... so I should try it again. The big problem is that I ran out of manpower in my first game when Germany attacked, so how on earth do I get enough divisions to stop Germany if the manpower is so low. I really tought manpower would not be a bottleneck.

I choose the officer purge ... to get higher unity to get the better laws.

I don't know if I should ask, but do you know about the effects of officer ratio? :p

well I was considering they wouldn't have done it like a nobrainer, so choosing to purge should have some benefit I guess?

I was also considering not to ask, now I asked the question.:happy:

is there a point in researching the 'pilot training' (IIRC) techs? according to the description they make your fighters favour either enemy fighters over enemy bombers or vice versa. There's also one where tac bomber pilots get to favour frontline over reserve troops or vice versa.

how does it work exactly?

What are some good learn to play Let's Play videos? There's a lot on Youtube, but I want a totally beginner level that introduces many elements of the game. Also, should I get the two expansion packs? Are they a must? They're pretty cheap on steam so if they're essential there's no big problem.

is there a point in researching the 'pilot training' (IIRC) techs? according to the description they make your fighters favour either enemy fighters over enemy bombers or vice versa. There's also one where tac bomber pilots get to favour frontline over reserve troops or vice versa.

If you choose to favor "vs fighter", during an air battle, your INT will mostly do their damages vs INT. If you pick "vs bomber", they will take TAC/STR as their main target.

When you have a land battle, you will either fire at the ennmy engaged in battle (frontline) or in reserves (reserves). There is a low probability of reserves getting in combat. except when the primary units in battle do retreat (becasue, for example, their ORG level dropped to "0").

Fighter Target Focus and Bomber Target Focus(?) are largely considered to be worthless, from what I've seen, and I'm inclined to agree. Much better to just get org, morale and mission efficiency buffs.
The way I understand land combat, it seems like some levels in Frontline Target Focus (or whatever it's called) might not be a bad pick if you make extensive use of Tac bombers running ground attack missions, although it's a total waste if your enemy rarely has units in reserve (still a waste if those reserve units are HQs, there's no point in deliberately de-orging them since the AI never pairs them with frontline units, so they always break near-instantly). You generally want the enemy's engaged divisions to break as soon as possible, thus forcing them back more rapidly or stalling their attacks and allowing your own troops more time to redeploy and reorganise.
I can't think of a situation where focusing on the enemy's reserves would be preferable to bombing their troops already in the fight...

When your Foreign Minister is an Iron-Fisted Brute with Threat Impact +5%.

(1) Do you get +5% impact on your threat or for those of your ennemies ?

(2) As USA, would it help you get more quickly into war or delay your entry ?

Not sure Paglia, but my intuitions say that it's rather the threat you give to your neighbours (sounds most reasonable if you send an "iron fisted brute" foreign minister over to do some delicate negotiations with them :) )

Not sure Paglia, but my intuitions say that it's rather the threat you give to your neighbours (sounds most reasonable if you send an "iron fisted brute" foreign minister over to do some delicate negotiations with them :) )

That's what my intuition is telling me too... but I was wandering anyway... in case they'd be wrong.

What do you think about it today?

Okay, the game has been out for awhile and is getting a nice shiny for the motherland upgrade. My question is this...out of the box, patched up to date and ready to roll would you buy this game today? I am willing to buy a physical copy mainly cause I like a nice instruction booklet that I can read and consult as necessary rather than print out(thought I am considering that as an option...but hole punched paper tears to easily over time). So my questions are these:
Would you buy the game today patched but not modded?
Is a physical copy possible?

W