+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EU Factions Mod

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

EU Factions Mod

EU Factions Mod - Adding new, improved factions to european countries

I've been working a while on making a mod that uses the faction system used by Ming and adapting it to fit european nations. I've always felt the sliders should have more impact than they do and I figured this is the way to do it.

At this point I guess it could be called an Alpha version. There are still many things I'd like to improve and add. The only real events added are a long Reformation chain, nothing else at this point apart from the factions and modifiers/triggered modifiers/graphics/etc associated with them.

If anyone would be kind enough to take a look at it I'd really love some feedback on the bonuses/penalties given by the factions as well as a comment on the Reformation chain.

Here is the Faction interface. What do you think?

So what do you think? If you got some historical event in mind for an in-game event concerning inter-faction politics or something like that, feel free to share.

Download via gamefront or via the forum below

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20109...actions+Mod.7z
    Last edited by Humble Humbert; 09-03-2011 at 00:04. Reason: Edited out some rambling
    Tired of having complete morons in charge of your armies? Try [MOD] Proper Leadership !

Fantastic! Quick question, I seem to recall that its possible to enable/disable factions during the game? Is that indeed possible?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    East India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    MagickaPenumbra - Black PlagueRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club

It looks very nice ^^ wouldn't be surprised if other modders asked you if they can use it in their own mods

Hey I got a suggestion about when the factions are ruling. (don't know if it's possible tho)

when like clergy rule, they can't make troops or very expensive troops.
    nobility rules, soldiers are cheaper
    burghers rules , buildings are cheaper

Samuel de Champlain vol. II GregElSho's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Looks very nice and promising indeed.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDivine WindSengokuVictoria 2

I like this idea, too!
    It would be nice if government types could influence the power of factions. (For example under marchant republics nobles and clerics have more difficulty to increase their power.)
    Nova Monumenta Iaponiae Historica: A Sengoku Mod for CK2 (WiP)

Pax Sinica (East Asia Mod for EU4) Bella Iaponica (Japan Mod for EU4, will be updated with AoW)

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Hah, this is exactly what I'm planning to do in my mod. If only the moddir worked correctly...
    1914-1964 - the Ultimate Strategy Game

Quote Originally Posted by DominusNovus View Post
    Fantastic! Quick question, I seem to recall that its possible to enable/disable factions during the game? Is that indeed possible?
    Yes there are effects called add_faction and remove_faction. But to make them show in-game you have to edit the history//country files to define which factions the country has got as well as making an entry in interface//faction to have the menu button show to that particular country. When you use the add_faction effect I suppose a country may have the faction in question, it's just not showing. I haven't really experimented with these effects yet.

Quote Originally Posted by baronvctim View Post
    Hey I got a suggestion about when the factions are ruling. (don't know if it's possible tho)

when like clergy rule, they can't make troops or very expensive troops.
    nobility rules, soldiers are cheaper
    burghers rules , buildings are cheaper
    So far the bonuses/penalties are thus:

Clergy is the leading faction: badboy = -0.5
    Clergy influence is =>45: diplomatic_skill = +1, prestige = +0.01, stability_cost_modifier = -0.1, technology_cost = +0.05
    Clergy influence is =>60: diplomatic_skill = +2, prestige = +0.03, stability_cost_modifier = -0.15, technology_cost = +0.1
    Clergy influence is =>80: diplomatic_skill = +3, prestige = +0.05, stability_cost_modifier = -0.2, technology_cost = +0.15

The Catholic world was a tight knit organization and so the diplomatic and infamy bonuses makes a little sense. Prestige and stability bonuses I feel are pretty motivated and the tech cost semi-so.

Nobility is the leading faction: army_tradition = +0.008
    Nobility influence is =>45: leader_shock = +1, land_maintenance_modifier = -0.1, global_tax_modifier = +0.05, production_efficiency = -0.05
    Nobility influence is =>60: leader_shock = +2, land_maintenance_modifier = -0.2, global_tax_modifier = +0.1, production_efficiency = -0.1
    Nobility influence is =>80: leader_shock = +3, land_maintenance_modifier = -0.3, global_tax_modifier = +0.2, production_efficiency = -0.2

The Nobility is all about making war and oppressing people and I feel pretty happy with the bonuses. The decrese in prod eff. is probably going to sting in late-game but it's overshadowed by the military boost.

Burghers is the leading faction: inflation_reduction = +0.08
    Burghers influence is =>45: interest = -0.02, merchant_cost = -0.1, merc_maintenance_modifier = -0.15, land_maintenance_modifier = +0.05
    Burghers influence is =>60: interest = -0.04, merchant_cost = -0.15, merc_maintenance_modifier = -0.25, land_maintenance_modifier = +0.1
    Burghers influence is =>80: interest = -0.06, merchant_cost = -0.2, merc_maintenance_modifier = -0.35, land_maintenance_modifier = +0.15

The Burghers could probably use some tinkering... A small trader nation desperately needs some inflation reduction to convert some of those trading profits into actual, useful money. The interest bonus is motivated as well as merchant cost. Historically the Burghers(bourgeois, trader elites) were averse of war, you know, it's not good for business, and the city-militias that they helped build often had mercenaries in them. Mercs in general could use a boost, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by GregElSho View Post
    Looks very nice and promising indeed.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by chatnoir17 View Post
    I like this idea, too!
    It would be nice if government types could influence the power of factions. (For example under marchant republics nobles and clerics have more difficulty to increase their power.)
    I tried that but I eventually came to remove it. I feel the factions should represent that state of affairs within the realm and function as a complement to the sliders. It makes more sense for the Nobility to be in charge if your country is favoring pro-aristocratic legislation rather than by the fact that your government type is a monarchy. If one faction is made to benefit from one government type things would get too predictable, monarchy - nobility, theocratic - clergy, republic - burghers. A small bonus like 0.5 influence I could live with, but then what would be the point of having it?

Quote Originally Posted by tuore View Post
    Hah, this is exactly what I'm planning to do in my mod. If only the moddir worked correctly...
    In your Dark Ages(Years - damn) mod? I'm keenly awaiting it What do you mean by the moddir not working correctly? Is there a problem with the rar?
    Last edited by Humble Humbert; 08-03-2011 at 21:31.
    Tired of having complete morons in charge of your armies? Try [MOD] Proper Leadership !

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Humbert View Post
    In your Dark Ages mod? I'm keenly awaiting it What do you mean by the moddir not working correctly? Is there a problem with the rar?
    It's not possible to use a custom map when using moddir, because it brings up graphical glitches and errors. It works fine when directly installed to the game folder, but I don't like such solutions.
    1914-1964 - the Ultimate Strategy Game

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDivine WindSengokuVictoria 2

I tried that but I eventually came to remove it. I feel the factions should represent that state of affairs within the realm and function as a complement to the sliders. It makes more sense for the Nobility to be in charge if your country is favoring pro-aristocratic legislation rather than by the fact that your government type is a monarchy. If one faction is made to benefit from one government type things would get too predictable, monarchy - nobility, theocratic - clergy, republic - burghers. A small bonus like 0.5 influence I could live with, but then what would be the point of having it?
    It makes sense. While chinese factions could be considered as groups in the government (at the imperial court), european factions should be regarded rather groups in a whole country.
    Nova Monumenta Iaponiae Historica: A Sengoku Mod for CK2 (WiP)

Pax Sinica (East Asia Mod for EU4) Bella Iaponica (Japan Mod for EU4, will be updated with AoW)

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultElven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV

Heya, Humble Humbert! I'd like to ask what exactly is required to get factions to work for a new nation. I've currently added factions to Vinland in a lil' mod I'm making to keep from getting rusty (Hofgodar, Hirdmen, Althing. Hopefully to tie certain national decisions to "X-faction is in power/# influence", is that easy?), but the problem is.. scratch that! Got it running with 'em now!

So I guess what remains is if you've tried using Faction Influence limits to control whether certain Decisions/Modifiers are allowed.

Edit2: Mind if I use your Factions background in my lil' mod? It's odd to look at Norse factions and seeing Chinese people and scrolls in the background. Obviously I wouldn't use the faction symbols, though, since I'd want to keep it neutral between the Christian and Norse faiths in the nation. What city is the image from?

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    93 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Looks very promising. I plan something like that for MEIOU. Questions :

- how many countries did you add factions for ?
    - what is the effect on game speed ?
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

Quote Originally Posted by Nuril View Post
    Heya, Humble Humbert! I'd like to ask what exactly is required to get factions to work for a new nation. I've currently added factions to Vinland in a lil' mod I'm making to keep from getting rusty (Hofgodar, Hirdmen, Althing. Hopefully to tie certain national decisions to "X-faction is in power/# influence", is that easy?), but the problem is.. scratch that! Got it running with 'em now!

So I guess what remains is if you've tried using Faction Influence limits to control whether certain Decisions/Modifiers are allowed.

Edit2: Mind if I use your Factions background in my lil' mod? It's odd to look at Norse factions and seeing Chinese people and scrolls in the background. Obviously I wouldn't use the faction symbols, though, since I'd want to keep it neutral between the Christian and Norse faiths in the nation. What city is the image from?
    Heya Nuril! Well from my experience all you have to do to add new factions and make them show in-game is to

1. Define the classes alongside the chinese ones in EU3//common//faction.txt

2. Edit the EU3//history/countries//*country in question*.txt file to include the factions previously added in the common//faction file. This should make the factions take effect in-game, but they're not showing yet(apart from effects) and if you start up as one of these countries without doing step 3 the game will crash(from experience).

3. The last step is editing the EU3//interface//faction.gui to include an entry for each of the countries you want to have the factions in-game. There is alredy an entry for MNG(Ming) so just copy the Ming entry and swap the names to whatever country you want. The Ming factions should now appear to you in-game, provided they are the factions defined in //history//countries(the influence values/graphics/etc for the new factions won't show until you edit the faction.gui to include alll the necessary data).

I've yet to figure out how the mechanics and mathematics of the system works. If any of the factions start with low or minus influence there is a strong possibility the influence values get messed up. Sometimes they start at minus or very low influence and refuse to move at all. At other times two of the values seem to be connected somehow and show the same value. I've had quite a lot of problem with this but it seems that keeping the starting influence of each faction high enough will prevent these issues.

The faction influence trigger is very real and simple to use, just take a look at the complete trigger document in the sticky. I think it's named DW - triggers.

This is what it one of my triggered modifiers look like.
    powerful_burgher_faction = {

potential = {
    has_faction = Burghers
    }

trigger = {
    faction_influence = {
    faction = Burghers
    influence = 80
    }

}
    merchant_cost = -0.2
    interest = -0.06
    merc_maintenance_modifier = -0.35
    land_maintenance_modifier = +0.15
    icon = 5
    }

Lastly, you're very welcome to use the interface. Though it is rather medieval themed and not very fitting for a viking mod I think. It's actually an old(1638) painting by Claude Lorrain. The port itself is fictional but is usually associated with the busy harbours of mercentalist France of that time.

Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post
    Looks very promising. I plan something like that for MEIOU. Questions :

- how many countries did you add factions for ?
    - what is the effect on game speed ?
    132 countries have got the new factions. I've not yet tried them all but I'm pretty sure they've all got them and that they're working fine. From what I can tell there is no or little effect on the game speed. There doesn't seem to be much if any change compared to vanilla DW.

Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Heya Nuril! Well from my experience all you have to do to add new factions and make them show in-game is to:
    Thanks for the summary. I got it running for Vinland by having a look at the files included in your mod, but another nation (tiny island remnant) tried using the same ones as Vinland (with another country in GUI) and it causes crashes when I try to start the game specifically with them. It's been very odd. I can't really see any exclusive references. *Sigh* >_>

Glad to know I can write my triggers around influence beforehand.

Lastly, you're very welcome to use the interface. Though it is rather medieval themed and not very fitting for a viking mod I think. It's actually an old(1638) painting by Claude Lorrain. The port itself is fictional but is usually associated with the busy harbours of mercentalist France of that time.
    Great, thanks! I'm aware it's not a perfect fit and if I find something better I'd use that, but I think it looks wonderful.. and it isn't a Viking Age mod, so I have sufficient willing suspension of disbelief!

132 countries have got the new factions. I've not yet tried them all but I'm pretty sure they've all got them and that they're working fine. From what I can tell there is no or little effect on the game speed. There doesn't seem to be much if any change compared to vanilla DW.
    This is what's weird to me. You didn't get the problem with reusing the same factions for a hundred nations that I did for one? As in "I have copied over another using these 3, changed the ' name = "SKR_faction_view" ' and it's still spazzing out for that faction"?

include an entry for each of the countries
    I just looked at faction.gui and saw that you indeed added one entry for each tag. Did you try any other way of doing this?

It seems like the more logical way of handling the UI would be for the interface to show up, whenever your country has the factions that are defined in the gui entry of that particular interface.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    93 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Helius View Post
    I just looked at faction.gui and saw that you indeed added one entry for each tag. Did you try any other way of doing this?
    There is no other way to do it. It has been confirmed by Paradox somewhere.
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

Great, thanks! I'm aware it's not a perfect fit and if I find something better I'd use that, but I think it looks wonderful.. and it isn't a Viking Age mod, so I have sufficient willing suspension of disbelief!

This is what's weird to me. You didn't get the problem with reusing the same factions for a hundred nations that I did for one? As in "I have copied over another using these 3, changed the ' name = "SKR_faction_view" ' and it's still spazzing out for that faction"?
    The interface doesn't look too good I think, I'm still very much a GIMP amateur.

Upload and I'll take a look at it. I'm not sure what's wrong tbh.

It seems like the more logical way of handling the UI would be for the interface to show up, whenever your country has the factions that are defined in the gui entry of that particular interface.
    I guess they could have designed it so that you only had to define interface for each faction, but then again, they only made the factions to work for 1 nation so it makes sense the way it is now.

Edit: And yes, yes I did try.
    Last edited by Humble Humbert; 08-03-2011 at 22:44.

Oh dear. I gues if you re-define the meaning of the phrase 'to make sense', the way they designed it 'makes sense'.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

Upload and I'll take a look at it. I'm not sure what's wrong tbh.
    Sure thing! ---Strike that. I'm still being retarded. Had it formatted wrong from when I copy-pasted in SKR's sections. A bracket too much. *Facepalm*

Sure thing! ---Strike that. I'm still being retarded. Had it formatted wrong from when I copy-pasted in SKR's sections. A bracket too much. *Facepalm*
    Oh, ok then.

Oh dear. I gues if you re-define the meaning of the phrase 'to make sense', the way they designed it 'makes sense'.

What I meant was that the way it is designed right now makes sense if they had the intention of applying factions to 1 nation only and nothing beyond that. I'm not much of a programmer but it's pretty clear that making 3 variables and some graphics show to 1 country is a lot less damnding than creating a new system for factions akin to that of nations or the HRE. But I digress, let's not persue this discussion any futher.

I had assumed that they were bascially just waiting for someone like you to come along & take this system into the general game. But the way it is designed, it almost seems to want to foil such an extension.
    Mourning Magna Mundi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast