• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I enjoy trying to understand the sometimes strange states and societies that can be products of the longer games (CK, EU). I have always done this while playing (bad combination of social science study and exposure to method acting), but have found it even more interesting when trying to write about it."

"Dialogue is definitely one of the best parts," Cat said. "The absolute best part, however, is when the characters actually come to life. It doesn't happen often, but you'll know when it does: You have a good idea what you want to write about. You know how to connect the dots from this point to the next part of whatever you're writing about, and you suddenly realize your character would never do that and has no intention of letting you make him. Once the characters come alive - you get inside their head and know how they'd react to a given situation - they start writing (and sometimes derailing) the plot for you. That's when it's fun and when writing takes no effort at all. You're simply writing out the movie playing in your head."

He shrugged. "Getting to that point. That is the hard part."

"Hard is an understatement," BT agrees, "though the more you work with a specific character, the more you realize how they'd act. It's a huge challenge, and a good deal of fun, to find a way to represent what happens in game despite what you think your character would do, how you think your character would do. A military genius suffering a horrendous defeat is more fun to write than a long string of continual successes, for example." He looks down at the map left to him by Crusader Kings, and tsks. "Almost as interesting is explaining some of the crazy events the game hands you. Bohemia in Finland? Muslims in Norway? Navarra conquering the world?" he fusses, making his way to the bar. "Appletini please?"

"But part of being an author is controlling that flow of information. The AI is not exactly there for good story telling, it is there as part of the game. As the writer you should know when to add to, or divert some of that flow to make the story better. I can tell you of thousands of instances of this in my AAR, but the exact doings of the AI should not be an integral part of telling your story. Of course, this only really applies to history book and narrative. In game play people aren't interested in the story as much as the methods and result, and in comedy it is possible that the AI's antics become and important part to making the story funny."

"Yes and no." Cat apparently felt no need to elaborate, as he took this moment to walk to the bar. A few minutes later he returned with his own appletini - it looked good.

"I think of the AI as my writing partner - one with some very strange ideas and no understanding of plot. If I absolutely can't use it, I'll ignore it. If I can find a way however, then I'll use it and assume 'my' world is every bit as insane as the real one. Also, nothing says you can't rework an event or action. Are those EU3 peasants really upset because there's another comet in the sky (-1 Stab), or are they upset that you're in the middle of westernizing and making up excuses to throw off your tyrannical rule?"

"It's a fine line," BT says, sipping on his drink. "Cat is right--the AI is a partner, not an engine. Even in narrative, sometimes the things the AI does are so off-the-wall they become brilliant, and can surprise you and your readers. Sometimes," he shrugs, "not so much. It's a fun mental exercise though. How did Bohemians end up in Finland? How did Navarra become such a power? The more reasonable of those strange events can enrich the background of your main story... if they fit." He slides the empty glass away, leaving a tip for the bartender. "Sometimes, Mr. C is right. There's nothing to be done, and the poor AI gets ignored in narrative or history book."

"Personally I find that for a certain type of comedy the CK AI in particular pratically writes the AAR itself."

He takes a swig of his drink.

"Well, when I say 'writes itself' I obviously don't mean 'sits in front of the keyboard and types the AAR while you sit back and enjoy a cigar and a fine whisky, ready to take the plaudits for the AI's hard work'. That would be stupid."

He seems to think for a second.

"Not to mention the beginning of the War With the Machines (TM)."

Iain places down his pint and walks over to the podium. He clambours up onto it, rearranges his jacket, and clears his throat noisely.

"Ladies and gentlemen, if I may be so bold. Today I have commenced my newest AAR - an EU3 narrative called The Sleeper. Thanks to those of you here who offered suggestions as how to proceed. Please; feel free to read and comment - I appreciate all readers!"

He sits back down and goes back to his beer.

[The monk peers shortsightedly from a table among the smoke, hiding a bootleg bottle in his dingy sleeve before the barman can see it].

"Oh yes, I heard that one. It's what the prophecy foretold, isn't it? End of the world and all that? Or is it another story?"

"Considering the mass of AI story elements (sometimes), weaving some of them into a story allows almost any direction... or so the Monkeys say".

"Yep. Finding explanations for some of those messages can lead to some outrageous scenes. Not to mention great traditions like the Rurikovich self-destructing generals, for instance. AI provides a lot of usable material, but the Number Crunching Monkey says they use less than five percent of events in the story... else they would spend a hundred pages in a single year. So I'd say the AI is the instrument, but you need to play it to get some story.

"Not that I know anything. I'm just a dead monk in a monastery overrun by Monkeys, after all. But one hears things...".

[The smoke swirls again. When it clears, there is no monk, nor table, nor bottle to be seen.]

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hear ye, hear ye!" - a young man with a pack of newspapers enters the bar - "The amazing, double-sized first issue of the Ten Reasons is here!" - he sits himself down at the bar, putting the papers on the next stool.

"And I have to shout that all afternoon, can you believe it? And all I got was this lousy T-shirt... Anyway, would you mind giving me a beer?" - he waits for the barman to give him his due, drinks it on one go, coughs for a few seconds, catching his breath, then gets up to shout some more, leaving one of the amazing, double-sized issues behind as a memento. - "Farewell, fella's!"

A few minutes later he returns:
"I almost forgot! There was this question you had going. Or was it two? Or more? Well, I will answer them all at once. For me, the greatest challenge is to write through the little people's eyes, because I have to keep in mind the difference between what they know and what I know. But that is also the greatest pleasure, when I'm successful to create an interesting story where the characters are everyday people like you and me. And as for the AI... Well, it can happen from time to time that it does something soooooo out of place that it can't be explained by any logical means, but that is what illogical explanations are for!" - the young man winks, then takes up his package again, and heads out to the streets.

<A youngish looking rogue, quite tall but young of face, settles into the bAAR. You can't quite tell how old he is, but you're fairly sure it's below twenty.

He bows in an almost-Asian manner, then takes a seat and asks for a lemonade>

"Name's Lighthearter, or LH if you prefer."

"Funny thing, the AI," He comments. "I typically view it in general as a comedic figure - something to be made fun of, but it can pull things that make excellent material if spun right. Though for me - being a narrative writer above a commentator - I always sacrifice the events of the game for the path of the story. "

"To answer Boris' question, the best part of writing for me is after I've slogged through thirteen chapters fighting to find a way to make my plot connect while being true to the characters - suddenly the next chapter just bam! flows like water. Everything slides together easily and you think it's the best thing you've ever written. It's a moment like that that redefines my whole-" He grins roguishly "-admittedly short life."

"Well, I feel there's a lot potential conversation to be had - Everyone have a round, on me!"

"Wait, they charge money here???? OH FIZZ!"

-L

A fairly unknown man walksinto the bar and, after taking off his hat and trench coat, promptly greets everyone with a "Good evening gentlemen".

Once the formalities were out of the way, he, following the ending of Lighthearter's comments, begins his own monologue.

"I've been around on and off for a while, having stayed fairly active these past few weeks to work on my latest AAR, one based on the East African Union. I simply want advice as to how I can improve my work either for the current one I have or future ones. Any helpful criticism and feedback on how I can better my writing, presentation of images, etc would be greatly appreciated. It just seems that my AAR is a bit "overlooked", if I may, in the HoI AAR forum. Don't get me wrong; there is a pretty great group of lads that read and comment on my AAR but I'm just interested in there being greater support/comments."

The man exhales deeply and takes a seat, having essentially ranted on an issue he feels is very important.

He staggers into the bAAR looking disheveled. Through parched lips he tries to speak and fails. After being handed a reviving bottle of babycham (with pint of stout chaser) he revives and says:

"I have just been reading c0d5579's excellent German HOI2 AAR
Eine Geschichte des Grossdeutsches Reich - Germany/Road to Doom's Day
. It is not your standard German HOI AAR. Immersive, well thought out, plausible alternate history. I have not been able to touch my normal diet of AARs untill I had consumed the whole thing."

He is handed another pint of stout (with bottle of Babycham chaser) and sinks quietly into the corner.

Gentlemen, I'm very happy to announce that I've managed to finish my AoD-AAR To restore the Republic (Nationalist China)

It took from August last year till this very day, it's featuring firstly the reconstruction of the lost lands against several warloards, the first defensive, then offensive war against Imperial Japan, gaining influence in Asia, flirting with both the Allies and the Axis, later joining one of their sides and bringing the soldiers of the KMT around the world.

It's picture-heavy, so should you be on limited bandwith, please beware. Thank you for listening.

I've been re-reading Badger_ken's works, unfortunately a bad shoulder means he won't be writing, for a while at least, but his work is still good.

"Incidentally, if you've not already taken a look at it, why not swing by the Guess-the-Author thread which Rensslaer has very kindly brought back to life."

He takes a swig of his pint and continues.

"This thread has been - and is - a really valuable resource for those of us who wish to improve as writers. Although these forums as a whole are a brilliant place for writers to receive feedback on their work, it's not always easy for commentators to offer criticism - no matter how constructive - to a person's face (virtual or otherwise!). This is unfortunate, because knowing what you aren't doing well is often more valuable than knowing what you're doing right! With Guess the Author, all pieces are posted anonymously, so the feedback of commentators is not coloured by any preconceptions of who the author might be or a desire not to offend a friend."

He pauses.

"So, what are you waiting for? Get over there and start commenting! All the authors taking part want your feedback so do them a favour and jump straight in. Or, enter yourself for the next round."

"Hello everybody" Capibara has just entered the bAAR, "I am just here to invite you to nominate your favorite 2010 EU3 AARs for this year's OscAARs. Nominations will last from today until May 31. I hope you take a look and nominate your favorite. You can check them out here. Cheers.

An impoverished and dirty looking man enters the bAAR. He is so badly dressed that even a man who spent his entire life living in the streets would have been ashamed to be seen in such rags. He reeks of vodka and cabbage soup.

"I'm Cyrus_The_Great" he says meekly. "I was wondering which Authors are your favorites, or have inspired you the most. Personally, my favorite author is Dostoevsky. I find his insights into human nature and his socratic-like dialogues simply brilliant."

"Who has most influenced or inspired all of you? And what works would you recommend by them?"

"My recommendation for anyone new to Dostoevsky is the Brothers Karamazov. It is long, but well worth the read."

*Sinks back into a corner table and resigns himself to another glass of vodka*

Status
Not open for further replies.