• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A man with a ridiculous looking white coat and a bottle full of some foul-smelling substance, which sadly fails to mask the equally repugnant stench of mercury flowing from his bizarre get-up, bursts in.

"My goodness goodness me, you'll never imagine the original and never-before done idea I've come up with! What if some mischievous scallywag ran around making all the different nations in the world all declare war on one another for the silliest reasons, before picking some godforsaken out-the-way spot to watch the fireworks from? Wouldn't that be a laugh?"

(At this point, other drinkers conclude the poor man is quite mad and, if he isn't, is clearly trying too hard to seek out the attention of others. Shaking their heads sadly, they go back to their drinks.)

(In sane speak, I'd like to see someone do an AAR which, hands off, went round having each nation declare war on one another in the 1836 start (as in, everyone against everyone else) and then watching the fireworks unfold. It'd probably be more dramatic an effect in EU III though, plus its kind of a lot of work to set up.)

The Door slips open and a quiet shabby Character moves through and moves quietly to the baar getting a drink to mull over. Times are hard, his success hasn't seemed too great and he simply doesn't know what's going so wrong for his writing. He occasionally mutters to himself but slowly drinks his drink keeping himself to himself. Just as he finishes his first drinks and before he gets another he finally says something loud enough. "I suppose I better think best of it but I thinking maybe the Sengoku AAR section will always remain small and secluded but if a few more people visited the area then maybe AAR writers would frequent the area more often and it could become more lively but who am I kidding it'll always remain the smallest part of the New AAR forums set up recently and anyway is saying something here really going to make much of a difference this baar has become very quite of late.

"It's true the Sengoku AAR section is small -after all it was mainly set up to encorage people to play CK2. I'm thinking about starting an AAR there actually, but the encouragement isn't great when CK2 is coming out in a little over two weeks." the welshman responds to Thandros.

"The idea of running round and declaring war on everyone is one I'd not thought of before," he says to Napoleon."Maybe worth trying out. But an awful lot of time and effort. Maybe I could use the Great War mod, trigger a Great War by event, and then start AARing after it all ends. But it's quite hard to find good god-forsaken accomadation round 1836."

He shrugs his shoulders. "bah why do people care so much about Europe and North Africa in the Middle ages haven't there been enough games focused on that area. Any way Feudal Japan is much more interesting mark my words. It was an area of near continuous fighting while Europe only had the occasional war between nations. It was much more action packed I can tell you."

"Crusader Kings II will be much more polished - besides people like to play with what they know. They've heard stories about William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings and want to play as him, or against him."

The baar door opens slowly and from the bright light steps slowly a tall figure dressed in scarred chain mail that looks like there is still parts of an image of a skeletal wolf upon the breast, a dented helm placed firmly upon his head, and twin swords with very well worn handles swing from either hip. Two visible daggers are upon his person as well. A well patched cloak swirls behind him as he steps into the dim interior the door swinging closed behind him. Limping slightly he makes his way to the bar itself and notices the dirty rag<TM> still on it's surface. He smiles slightly remembering his days behind that self same bar long long ago. He looks around, notices that things while different are still much the same. He orders a Bacardi 151 and waits to see if anyone notices his reappearance....

"Strange to see you around, Amric. It certainly has been a while." The bouncer and bartender shivers at the thought of the great American Sea of Corn, from which he had only recently escaped. "Things have been quiet around here; it seems we are no longer 'trendy' enough for the younger crowd and many of the old guard have given into wanderlust." He points to the empty seats and the dust gathering on the shelves and old pictures.

Walking over he pushes up the swinging counter and steps behind the bar, grabbing the Bacardi and a bottle of Jamesson Vintage Reserve. The Bacardi is poured into a strain shot glass while the Jamesson is left on the rocks, a favorite of the bartender. Capiatlist takes a sip and puts the Jamesson bottle back, leaving the Bacardi for his only customer in quite a while. "There is a lot of new material these days," he says, "though it only wafts in on the winds. It used to be new writers and bards would gleefully come here to post their works and let others hear or compliment it, but now we only hear things through the grapevines. Even our old quarterly awards only get a little bit of traffic. But I have a good feeling for this quarter."

"Sounds like things have slowed down a mite," the older man mutters, "Well there are more games out there and more tales to tell for many or so it seems. Perhaps it is just something that needs adjusting to. I know most of the old timers have passed onward to other things, gotten busy with other projects. It can happen. But perhaps, just perhaps things will pick up during the summer months. It is prime campaigning season after all. Good to see you, been a very long time indeed."

A dark figure enters the bAAR and looks around silently. It had been a long time since she had visited an establishment like this; longer still since she had stuck around, or tried to make something of it. Times were changing, however, and progress needed to be made. Pulling her hood back and letting its cloak fall open, she walked towards the nearly-deserted bar with her arms folded. Her outfit was relatively plain, a black shirt and thick skirt obscured most of her pale skin and figure. Her boots were muddied and a long japanese blade was tied upon the cord at her hip, its saya (sheath) was also clearly worn from use. She smiled slightly as she sat down and nodded to the bartender, a man who she had only recently started to become familiar with. "Good evening, don't mind me. I thought I would just stop by and check the place out..."

She looked around at the room somewhat disappointed. "Rather deserted, isn't it? I would have thought a place like this would be more popular amongst these kinds of folk..."

"At one point it used to be a hopping place, I will admit. But that was some time ago. I myself have been gone a long time. But just for my own amusement really I started a little thread in the EU3 forums about the Battle for Kiel Castle. Might be worth checking out, or not," the tall old man shrugged, "I am seeing if i still have any skills left in the genre of writing. We shall see if I do or not I suppose."

"I checked it out and by my judgment you still do, it's a good piece. The place may no longer be hopping, but I think it still has the potential." She gazed across dusty disused tables and aged walls. "It's likely a matter of marketing and exposure, or so I would assume. I know that I myself did not even notice its existence until quite recently."

"Very kind of you to say, we'll see if anyone else feels the same way...."

just sticking my head around the door to say its a really intriguing opening ... with what seems to be the start of a rather desparate treasure hunt

oh and while shouting my head off in public, just to remind everyone that the Quarter 1 ACAs are open, the final CK1 CrusadAAr's Challice is voting, the very first Aarthena's are being voted for and the Iron HeAARt nomination thread for the best completed AAR in 2011 is open ... lots to go and read and respond to.

"If you don't mind me saying I've heard there's a Bunch of Illyrians over in the Rome AAR section planning to go off looking for Elephants. As you may know there are rather few Elephants in that area and all very well protected by their owners who don't like people sticking there noses in if you know what they mean. If you could wonder over there if you have a spare moment a Little Moral Support could make all the difference in their Grand Adventure."

"I might just do that when I've had a moment. Thanks for the tip."

The man sitting in the corner rises his head from the table surface and realizes that he had passed out temporarily, god knows how long ago.

"If anyone remembers, have you yet seen an AAR that's been written on parchment notes? I have an idea steadily growing but I wonder if someone has already done it (and then I could look for advice)?

Also I want to remind people once again, even if Rome has faced its problems the AARland is getting more active again than since a long time and Thandros isn't the only one looking for elephants there"

After making sure he has emptied his glass the man rumbles trough the bAAR and orders another shot.
"It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings, and as I can't see any I will continue medicating myself..."

Last edited:
well there were a couple of CK1 AARs written as manuscript/diaries, one was Alfred Packer's delightful tale of boar hunting in Medieval Iceland and the other was Serek000's detailed rendering of a medieval life a great man in Lord Robert Clifford, I'm sure there are others rattling around, but those two I remember.

and yes, come and enjoy Rome still the base for a variety of rather readable and jolly AARs

oh and while I'm here, just to remind everyone that the Quarter 1 ACAs are open, the final CK1 CrusadAAr's Challice is voting, the very first Aarthena's are being voted for and the Iron HeAARt nomination thread for the best completed HOI3 AAR in 2011 is open ... lots to go and read and respond to.

Last edited:
Thank you Loki! It seems that my idea is at least somewhat unique comparing to those two.

I shall start wrting as soon as possible, Romans beware!

The doors open and a man walked in, broad shouldered and perhaps a shade below average height. Hazel eyes glanced around from beneath impressive eyebrows and his mouth, generously framed by a dark mustache and goatee fell. Not a busy crowd these days it seemed... still he moved over to baar and took of his hat, ordering a stein of mead and giving the decrepit barstools a doubtful look.

"I know its quiet around here," he announced to air in an Irish accent, "but has anyone seen any of those new Sword of Islam AARs? Any seem worth a shot?"

Status
Not open for further replies.