• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice AAR, I haven't played EU3 in a while but this AAR is making me want to pick it up again.

Also congratulations, you're the new WritAAR of the week!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...of-the-Week-desertfalcon/page285#post12551320

Wow! Thanks, man! That's an award that I've always wanted to get, but was pretty sure I never would.

Cool ARR Gela! Nice well written story!:)

Thank you! Glad to have you along.

Edit: We're just under 15,000 views! That was my goal to have by the end of the AAR. To have it now, when we're not even to 1550 yet, is just amazing! Come on, just 484 more views from time of writing!

Last edited:
New update coming soon. OP has been updated a bit in rules and description, plus there's a little art challenge at the end if someone with drawing/photoshop skills gets bored.

As someone so green to this game as myself, I truly am enjoying your approach to this nation, the game, and excellent narrative! This has been a fun read, and I've even learned a thing or two during the process. I will surely follow

Looking forward to the day you can fight a war against Byzantium and win. Nevertheless I'm loving the AAR so far. As others have said, outstanding narrative to go with the screenshots!

Chapter 19 - Tales and Secrets

OOC: AMAZING! 15,000 views the same week this AAR wins me the WritAAR of the Week award. I want to say thank you to everyone who's stuck with this, especially through that long period of this being mostly dead. I think I'll write two or three updates today, I don't have very much to do. So, expect chapter 20 and chapter 21 to be up tonight or tomorrow, depending on where you live.

------

It wasn't long before the results from the election came back, and a new Prince was elected. The same principles that had re-elected Nero Doria not too long ago had chosen the new Prince, Alexander Palaeologus. He was also focused on the military and keeping other nations away from Athenian holdings. However, when it came to being friendly with those other nations, he managed to fail spectacularly. In addition, he had absolutely no ability to optimize the tax system. Some would even say he made it worse by his very presence in office.

EU3_331.jpg

Anastasia, after hearing of the results of the election, was completely indifferent. To be honest, the Prince hardly did anything anymore. He was voted in or out depending on what the Councilors that had been voted in during the Prince's time in office did. Besides, even if he actually had power, there was nothing she could to do change it. A trivial matter, and even more trivial besides what really mattered.

She still remembered what her brother had said just a month or so ago. His visit had been completely unexpected.

"Anastasia... Things haven't been well at home," he had muttered, gazing off into the distance. Mikhail obviously was pained by relating the experience. With every word his face grew tighter and his expression more somber. "Mother and father are dead.. actually.. everyone's dead."

Anastasia looked at him in shock. Everyone was dead? Did he mean the whole family? Before she could continue wondering, he managed to choke out an explanation. "The invasion of Novgorod in their last war against the Catholics reached our home. The house was burned down in the dead of night, and I was the only one able to escape. Well, myself and a young boy you never met. He's our nephew, actually."

It was then that Anastasia saw the bewildered face of Adron nearby. The teenager knew a few simple words of Russian, like Я and Ты*, but not enough to get any glimpse of the conversation. With a hand gesture, she ushered him out of the room. "The boy, Petr, actually came with me. I left him in a house on the outskirts of the city. That's the real reason I came here, otherwise I would've just written to you."

Anastasia looked to one side, then the other. What exactly did he mean? It was hard to read anything from his face with him looking off to the side like that. "I cannot raise him. You're taking care of children already, what's one more, right?"

She had said she would think about it, and had made her decision. Later that night, she went out to the home Mikhail had spoken of to pick up Petr. That was the decision that had really changed her. But, that conversation started it all, the conversion of a manipulative, plotting woman into a political force.

But who it would change even more was Adron. Convinced he would have to fight for his mother's support now that the Russian boy had appeared, he forced himself to learn the Russian language better. It wasn't perfect, but neither was Petr's Greek. The two of them would, in later years, simply be referred to as the "Konstantinos Brothers". They would lead in a new era for Athens and rescue it from the abyss it was slowly beginning to fall into.

---
*Я - Referring to one's self.
Ты - An informal second person pronoun. Used for family and close friends.

This AAR just gets better every time I come and check it.

Please, keep writing! I want to see a glorious Athens/Greece someday :D

Suggestion: Keep colonizing South America by the coastline, so that the interior will be mainly yours.

This AAR just gets better every time I come and check it.

Please, keep writing! I want to see a glorious Athens/Greece someday :D

Suggestion: Keep colonizing South America by the coastline, so that the interior will be mainly yours.

I was thinking about it, but I feel like it's exploiting the ease of colonization. Besides, colonial wars make for interesting updates.

Sorry the promised updates disappeared, people came over!

Chapter 20 - His Fate at Hand

OOC: Chapter 20? I finally made it! I've been thinking of doing some major renovations to the OP, explaining which characters are dead or alive, etc. However, despite the convenience of this, I don't want to spoil anything for future readers.
---

Demetrios Doria had wormed his way into Dimosthenes' colonial company, seeking to possibly overtake the company from the inside. At the moment he served as an explorer, leading navies filled with sailors who were either absolutely insane or the bravest people on Earth. Who would come here, to a whole new world, and then venture out into parts of it that not a single soul in Europe knew of? Insanity.

Still, it had to be done if he was to complete his goal. The money was good too. After all, Dimosthenes was hard pressed to find those who would serve him well as explorers. The old man, still remembering how he had taken Athens by storm and usurped power from two of the strongest political forces at the time, was already becoming senile. Indeed, it seemed like he was running his country into the ground. But even with a terrible driver, a juggernaut is not killed so easily. The Crispo Company, as it had commonly become known, was the single most influential force in the nation. It had drove Athens to a new land and a new set of goals and interests.

Demetrios had a run in with Dimosthenes, possibly one of the worst in the country's history. It was over whether or not to expand to the west, or to take more of the eastern coast, as Dimosthenes wanted. Demetrios, though, was quickly becoming looked up to by lower officers, expected to succeed the company after their leader's death. After all, the Crispo family had had a good run, but with no living heirs left to take back their holdings, they would need to entrust their legacy to a new family in the new generation.

But, Dimosthenes became afraid of the newcomer's growing power. After blowing the whole affair out of proportion, he publicly declared Demetrios' eviction from his post as explorer. But it was already too late. Some of the new members of the company were being swayed, and secretly, their support began to fall towards Demetrios. It would be some time before he would make his next move against the old man, however.

EU3_335-1.jpg

In the meantime, Alexandros began reforming the Athenian military, bringing it up to date with modern standards, and surpassing many of his neighbors. In a long line of martial princes, the Athenian fighting force had become what could be considered a tetriary power. It was no where near the level of Great Powers like France or Poland, nor was it the same strength as some of the minor players in the international scene, like Austria. But it was of considerable strength locally, and was one of the best fighting forces in the Balkans.

So, it was noted that these Athenians were no longer mere Men-at-Arms, but rather, a stronger, more organized force. From this day forward they would be known as Athenian Pike Infantry.

EU3_336.jpg

---

OOC: He isn't dead, just no longer an explorer. :)

Last edited: