• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 7 - Shadows of the Acropolis

OOC: Ominous title, no? Well, I tried my hardest! Anyway, if any of you don't like Theophlyaktos at this point, I don't particularly like him either. Mainly because he decided to die before giving me a 5-star advisor event (free tech investment? YES PLEASE!)
----

Michael awoke, and got dressed quickly. His house was right in the middle of the Athenian ruins. Council would need to approve a rebuilding project at some point. On the side wall of the king's palace were a few pieces of paper tacked to a small crack in between the bricks. It was some small motions, including one Michael had been waiting to see.

"In the King's Chamber, this day of 2nd December, the year of our lord 1461, the towns and peoples of the Achaean province were promoted to a full member of the Athenian League, on equal footing with Athens itself. In return, the people of Achaea have been made to promise to take on the full responsibility of patriots and nationalists for the glorious Kingdom of Athens. Long live the Blue Lion!"

EU3_289.jpg

Innocent enough.. but then Michael saw the signature: "Councilor Theophlyaktos Crispo" Michael read it over and over again, getting more worried the more he read it. Theophlyaktos had been allowed into the King's Chamber, something a councilor had not been invited to do since all ten were invited the day Dmitry made his appearance. Fitting, he supposed, that the departure of the man had been on the same day as that Chamber meeting. Michael had been almost sad to see him go, but was glad to have him out of Athens. He would have a nice last few years in Cyprus, with that far too young Anastasia to accompany him. Perhaps, after the old Russian passed away, Francesco could be convinced to marry the girl. Ties to any form of Orthodox family might appease the Byzantines.

Manuel joined him on the street, and quickly read the few, mostly unimportant papers. He didn't seem to pick up on Theophylaktos' name; which was fortunate. The old war hero had been going through a lot of stress lately, far too much for his age. In fact, Michael had too. Perhaps he could consider retirement in Naxos. He imagined that Antonio could be convinced to give him a small sum of money in return for his services. As he was thinking of his blissful life on an island somewhere in the Aegean, he hadn't realized that he was on the ground. His warm face touched the cold brick of the streets, the winter snow piled on top of him. Michael's vision grayed, slowly, and only then did he notice what was wrong. He heard the familiar voice of Manuel, sounding more and more distant as time went on. The sensation was that of drowning, and as the snow piled up around him, the world went dark. The chilled feeling in his fingers lingered a few moments more; and even then that was extinguished. His last thought, true to his selfless nature, was, "God save our Kingdom,"

As such, Michael IV Apostolis passed from this world on the day 3rd December, in the year of our lord 1461. May God rest his soul.

That night, a memorial ceremony was held for the man who had done so much for his nation, and received so little in return. Shocking everybody, Theophlyaktos refused to show. When a messenger was sent to see if he was ill, only a small reply came back. Theophlyaktos was perfectly healthy. This was a massive strike to Manuel, and the rage he felt, coupled with the loss of his friend, strained his old heart just a bit much. He collapsed to the ground, still cursing the name of Theophlyaktos to his last breath. Manuel Konstantinos had also passed from the earthly realm.

Council was not held that night, having been defiled by the death of two of its members. However, news reached Theophlyaktos from Dimosthenes that New Athens had reached one thousand citizens, and the king was quickly pressured to promote it into the status of Athenian League membership.

EU3_290.jpg

Small expeditions went along the west coast of Africa, slaying those savages that tried to oppose the Athenian soldiers. Tales of terrifying men, over seven feet tall, with even painted faces, reached Athens. However, they apparently had no ability to comprise even a decent resistance, as evidenced from the battle reports sent by Dimosthenes.

EU3_291.jpg

The Council, in September 1463, almost two years after Michael & Manuel's death, approved the colonization of the lands known to the Castillian explorers as Rio de Oro. It was named Afrikanos by Dimosthenes, and the Blue Lion banner was hoisted there.

EU3_292.jpg

End Act I - From the Ashes
---
OOC: Sorry that the council session wasn't detailed, I'm not entirely sure on which member I want to focus on now that Michael is dead. It can't be Theophlyaktos, because I don't want to ruin his antagonist-ness (is that anywhere close to a real word?)

Last edited:
If you're not sure who should replace Michael, you could always go with a son/nephew. Another character from his bloodline can't be a bad thing. :D

Chapter 8 - Shifting Focus

Begin Act II - Gazing Westward

---- Introducing ----
Francesco II Acciaioli - Son of Francesco; brother of Francesca
Adeipho Thanos - Councilor elected to replace Michael IV Apostolis​

Theodoros sat in the courtyard of his house. Everything was so empty now, so lifeless. The paintings of his ancestors only seemed to enunciate just how alone he was. Francesca was coming over a bit later, but he wasn't particularly excited this time around. She was getting older; and with that, she was becoming stronger-willed. He wasn't just able to push her around anymore, though she still did mostly what he wanted. Even that would soon change. At the very least, he hoped she would not abandon him. Not yet, anyway. The last two years had been difficult, the house seemed empty, emotionless, without Manuel around. He sighed, and realized he was late for council. The last few sessions he had cited sickness as the reason for his absence, but today he had decided to go. Fortunately, Manuel had been lucky enough to build his house adjacent to the future council chamber.

He was mostly dressed properly, so Theodoros walked outside and across the road to the chamber. When he forced open the entrance (supposedly 'locked' after council started, but the rusty old piece of metal on the door hardly counted as a lock) everybody's head swiveled to face him. A few of them gaped, and Theophlyaktos looked dismayed. "Councilor Crispo, your autocracy has ended," Theodoros said, nodding to him. The trader had been basically given free reign after the death of Michael and Manuel, and Theodoros had been too depressed to offer much more than token resistance. But he was invigorated this time. There was nothing waiting for him anywhere else but here, his future lay in the council. "Please, brief me on what has happened," he continued, looking around the room. A guard chuckled, looking at Theophlyaktos, and closed the doors of the chamber.

Most of the councilors were too afraid to speak, and only stared at him. But a young man, who Theodoros recognized from the election called a few months ago to replace Michael and Manuel spoke up. His name was Adeiphi.. Adelpho.. Adeipho? Something like that. "We were just finishing a vote to adopt a motion making Naxos a full member of the Athenian League. It's a pleasure to meet you, Councilor," said the boy.

EU3_293.jpg

Theodoros smiled, knowing that he came in time to stop Theophlyaktos from fully becoming controller of the council. "Ah, that was long overdue. An entire fifty years for a land that has long contributed much to Athens," he said, taking a seat. "Well, you probably haven't heard in your time of 'sickness', councilor, but Antonio II has died. Francesco is now our King, and he is exacting a mighty vengeance against you and this council," said Theophlyaktos, smirking.

EU3_294.jpg

Theodoros hadn't expected anything like that. Had Francesco found out about.. about Francesca? "What do you mean?" he asked, a bit louder and more exasperated than he would've liked. "Why, he found out about that nice little daughter of his running around town. Apparently you're one of her frequent customers," replied Theophlyaktos, smiling. Theodoros stood up, and glared at the man. "Don't talk about Francesca like that!" he shouted, getting angry. "Oh its true, don't you know? She even wanted me to purchase her services, but, unlike you, I am too pious for such things. It turns out that if a foreign customer pays a little more, she'll tell them some state secrets after the act has been done,"

EU3_295.jpg

Theophlyaktos was taking over the conversation. It was clear to Adeipho what he was trying to do, and that was to remove the respect the remaining councilors had for Theodoros, and reduce his power drastically. Without any resistance to Theophlyaktos, the council would just be a puppet, in reality turning Athens into a nation with two kings. "Oh, is that true, councilor? I think most of us here have been to one of your parties, I'm sure they aren't God's idea of being 'pious'," said Adeipho. He didn't particularly like Theodoros either for getting the council into this mess, but he was the only one with a strong enough will to check Theophlyaktos. The trader looked aggravated, but eventually he decided he wouldn't allow himself to be humiliated. "Regardless, that is what has been happening, councilor. Now, we have more pressing news. Castile is involved in a war with many of our neighbors, and they have asked us to honor our alliance. I for one don't see much point in throwing our kingdom away like that. Let us put the following motion to the vote, that the Kingdom of Athens shall remain at peace, and if the Castilians see it as treachery, it is their own opinion and not that of the world. All in favor say Aye,"

EU3_296.jpg

Theodoros quickly stood up before the vote was taken. This managed to halt the votes for a few short moments, enough for Theophlyaktos to realize what was happening. As Head of Council, he technically didn't need to let the man speak. But, he knew if he didn't and continued with the voting, it would be bad for his reputation. Reluctantly, he said "The floor recognizes councilor Theodoros Konstantinos,"

Theodoros paused for a few seconds, gazing around the room, then spoke in a booming voice that seemed to instill fear in all present. "Honor. It is a quality appreciated by all the peoples of the world. Even to our enemies, our honor is indisputable. Do you dare ruin this reputation, for both our generation and the ones following it? If you adopt the motion suggested by my good friend, councilor Theophlyaktos Crispo, you prove nothing except our cowardice. Do you have no pride in your nation? If we honor our alliance, yes, our flag may be torn down. But when it is seen, no matter where, people will remember the Athenian armies who fought to the last. If we dishonor it, the Blue Lion may stay flying. But when nations gaze upon it, they will only laugh, and rightly so, because we will become nothing but a joke!"

Theophlyaktos was gaping by the end of it. He had hoped Theodoros would still be too depressed to convince people, but by the end of that, he himself was almost convinced to honor the alliance. However, he pressed the motion, hoping others felt differently. "With all members having spoken, the vote is continued. All in favor say aye," he said.

The room stayed quiet.

Last edited:
Blue lion on the shirt
Latin greeks are dreaming
2000 years of dirt
Never stoppped me dreaming

So many jokes, so many jeers
But all those oh so nears
Wear you down
Through the years

But I still see that
Symposium by Ellenikostratos
And when Pericles ruled
Sparta nowhere at all
And Athens dancing

Blue lion on the shirt
Latin greeks are dreaming
2000 Years of hurt
Never stopped me dreaming

I know that was then
But it could be again

It's coming home
It's coming home
It's coming
Greece is coming home

Tune shamelessly ripped from; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQu8tk8V0LE

Adeipho and Theodoros seem like they could be just as great a pair as Manuel and Michael were. :D

And subscribed. Time to break my lurking and actually post for once. Nice job with this AAR, it's a good combination of story and screen shots. Can't wait to see how the war goes against Byzantium et al(and how the storytelling deals with all out war).

By the way, who is that green country that took Morea from the Byzantines? Any chance of further expansion in the eastern med. or is it all out on the colony front?

And subscribed. Time to break my lurking and actually post for once. Nice job with this AAR, it's a good combination of story and screen shots. Can't wait to see how the war goes against Byzantium et al(and how the storytelling deals with all out war).

By the way, who is that green country that took Morea from the Byzantines? Any chance of further expansion in the eastern med. or is it all out on the colony front?

Well, Morea revolted. I don't remember if that's Morea, or if it's Portugal who annexed them like a year later (they have very similar colors). Also, we'll see about expansion in the Med. If an opportunity presents itself, I'll take it. Land is really important right now.

You are doing great ^^
I'll try again one day , but i usually get my game screwed under a massive patriot uprising ... :(

I've had so much luck with rebels this game its ridiculous. I think I had one uprising in Naxos during the time I owned both Achaea and Naxos (with full nationalism) and none in Achaea. It let me stay Catholic, which is a fun way to do things with a Greek crusader state.