• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

gela1212

custom luser title
99 Badges
May 11, 2008
  • Sengoku
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
bluelionathensaarle.jpg

credit to Chris Taylor

Act I - From the Ashes

Chapter I - In The Beginning...
Chapter II - Somber News
Chapter III - Underhanded Tactics
Chapter IV - A New Man for a New Land
Chapter V - A New Council
Chapter VI - A New World!
Chapter VII - Shadows of the Acropolis

Act II - Gazing Westward

Chapter VIII - Shifting Focus
Chapter IX - Horns of War
Chapter X - How Short This Life Is
Chapter XI - My Blood on These Rocks
Chapter XII - All Hail the Queen!
Chapter XIII - The Lion's Roar
Chapter XIV - New Lands, New Lions
Chapter XV - For Athens! For the Republic! For Liberty!

Act III - The Glorious Republic

Chapter XVI - A Few Farewells
Chapter XVII - The Wishes of the People
Chapter XVIII - He Wasn't Around Long
Chapter XIX - Tales and Secrets
Chapter XX - His Fate at Hand
Chapter XXI - Are We Truly Free?
Chapter XXII - Digging for the Truth
Chapter XXIII - Review and Reform
Chapter XXIV - His Final Fall
Chapter XXV - Mare Atlanticum
Chapter XXVI - A New Initiative

ANNOUNCEMENT

As you can see, the old art challenge has been filled by the amazing work of Chris Taylor. However, for anyone who still wants a challenge and would like to be credited for the work, etc. an image I can use for the three acts (either one background with Act I, Act II, and Act III's names on it, or the same thing except with three different backgrounds for each act) would be awesome and greatly appreciated!​

Last edited:
Nice idea! Never seen an Athens AAR before!

I will be following this closely.

This is indeed very interesting. I rarely ever see Greece, so it will be definitely note-worthy!

Chapter 1 - In The Beginning...

---- Introducing ----
Michael - Member of the Athenian Council. Incredibly popular with the people, and as such his position is essentially protected for life.
Manuel - Member of the Athenian Council. Former soldier. His spot on the council is maintained only on his fame as a war hero.

EU3_256.jpg

Michael looked at the map and sighed. Athens, to the world, was a small insignificant dot. For most of the world, it may as well still be part of Venice. The Athenian army consisted of a measly 1,000 men. That was just enough to patrol the lands and enforce the King's will. In addition, a small, Italian group (and even that was quickly being replaced) was ruling over a nation completely filled with Greeks. Such things would make uprisings that much more likely, and with an army only one regiment strong, an armed rebellion would be able to enforce its will with ease.

Michael drafted a resolution to put to the council (who in reality could force the weak-willed king to do pretty much anything), abolishing both Latin and Italian as official languages. This would save a bit of money, as each document would only be required to be printed in Greek, and would displace the last of the Italian ruling class.

EU3_257.jpg

In council that night, the only main opposition to the resolution was Manuel. He knew that being - at least in the world's eyes - an Italian cultured state would prove very useful. It would also help appease the Venetians, who would hopefully not be too ready to take back Athens. But, Manuel could only sway the opinions of three other members, and the resolution was adopted by the council by a very narrow two votes yes ahead. The king was persuaded to adopt this measure immediately.

Of course, this reduced the stability of the state and caused chaos, but with such a little nation, it didn't take long to restore order.

Michael later returned to his map. He knew that Athens must be larger if its sovereignty would be secured. He looked to Achaea, a weak state, in the same position Athens had just recently been in. It was ruled by an Italian minority, over a Greek majority. A little money placed in the right hands would cause the Greeks to revolt, and then they would join Athens, not only out of gratitude, but because it was a stable, similar-minded government. Three years later, after saving funds and preparing spies, the plan was put into effect. As planned, the Achaean people revolted.

EU3_259.jpg

Now all that was needed was for the people to crumble their oppressors, and Athens would be twice as large as it had been.

A good start! It's always hard to start off with one of the Lombard/Greek minors since they're wrong religion, wrong culture. Still, good progress!

Subscribed. It's not often you see anyone play the OPM's in Greece, mostly because either one of the italien states, OE or Byz is out to take you down :)

Subscribed.
Interesting playground for the OPMs there, that's for sure.
What are the requirements for forming Greece?
Also first post, woo.

You mean somebody's first post was in my AAR? YES! I feel successful now.

Anyway, there's no option to form Greece. When I said unite Greece, I just meant hold all the provinces that make up modern-day Greece. :p Update coming soon.

Chapter 2 - Somber News

---- Introducing ----
Dmitry - A Russian spymaster, fallen on hard times. Originally he worked for Novgorod, then for Byzantium. Finally he has fallen into the hands of Athens.
Antonio I Acciaoli - King of Athens. Weak-willed and very stupid. He has almost no ability to rule.​

Michael walked towards the chamber of Antonio's palace. He was one of the few Italian ruling elite left, and had strongly opposed the reforms, even though he eventually conceded to the council. The ruins of glories past surrounded him as he walked through the ages-old streets of Athens. Finally, he reached his destination. Two guards, which the military was barely able to spare (Antonio was too poor to afford private guards) with blue-lion emblazoned breastplates and shields, looked Michael over. With a nod, they let him into the chamber. It had only been a few years since Athens became independent from The Most Serene Republic, and the chamber was still under construction.

"Your majesty," said Michael, kneeling. Manuel and seven other council members were already in the room, seated in poorly constructed wooden chairs. Even the council chamber looked better than this place. The king waved his hand towards one of the seats on the left side of the chamber. Defiantly, and also with good cause, (Michael could not stand to be by Manuel) Michael sat on the right, with three other council members. Two of them were his close friends, and only had their seat because of Michael's fervent support. His thoughts were interrupted by an effeminate, loud voice, the kind that belonged to Antonio I Acciaoli. "Dmitry!" called the King, and a pale, Russian man stepped into the room. He bowed with a smirk on his face, and proceeded to walk over to the council.

"I have news from Achaea. Our good friends have defeated the Achaean army completely, and are now spreading out across the land there to siege cities. In time, I notify you, the province shall belong to us!"

EU3_260.jpg

Cheering followed. This fellow, even with his poor Greek and thick accent, had a knack for speaking. Maybe his over-formality and lack of naturalness actually made him seem more real, as little sense as that made. Michael knew he would need to watch out for this man. As a traditional gesture, Michael rose his hand slowly, resting his elbow still on his chair, to signify his wish to speak. Antonio knew better than to keep a man as powerful as Michael waiting, and immediately recognized him. Dmitry, offended by this small youngster stealing his glory, walked off and sat in the chair for the council member that hadn't shown his face that day.

"I bring somber news to the court of the King. The Byzantines, who claim to be the Roman Empire - though one without Rome, as laughable as that is -, are attacking the Ottoman Empire. Should they succeed, they will become even more powerful. So far the Byzantines and their allies have so far occupied several provinces within the Ottoman Empire.

EU3_261.jpg

Suddenly, a messenger rushed in, whispered something to Michael, and pressed a small piece of paper into his hand. On the paper there were the names of a few more provinces. "I have just received word that the Byzantines are making further progress. It seems their victory is assured," he continued. "They have one province remaining in which to make their last stand, and their defeat seems inevitable."

EU3_262.jpg

The rest of the council members, as well as Dmitry (less concerned for the nation as he was for a possible lack of employment in the near future) sat there with dumbstruck faces. Life just got a whole lot more difficult. "To give our distinguished council members time to propose a response, I now propose to adjourn the Chamber. All in favor say 'Aye'," said the King, followed by a chorus of ayes. "The Chamber is thus adjourned,"

All the council members rose and walked out, and Dmitry went to talk to Antonio. Michael knew, somehow, that this man would be a problem in the future. He may be able to sway the king against the council, reducing the efficiency of the state.

Last edited:
Chapter 3 - Underhanded Tactics

---- Introducing ----
Prince Antonio II Acciaoli - Heir to the throne of Athens. Even more of a pathetic ruler than his father.​

Michael and Manuel were sitting at a table together, trying to work out a way to increase defenses against the Byzantines, when a messenger arrived. "The Byzantines have made peace with their former enemies!" he shouted, gasping for breath. He laid a piece of paper with the words "Edirne" on the table, before falling to his knees to rest. Manuel read the list, and having campaigned in the area he was able to take his quill pen and adjust the borders on the map on the table.

EU3_263.jpg

Michael continued talking in a hushed tone, still under shock from how much territory the Byzantines had taken. The entire province of Edire? That was frightening. His fear was compounded when Dmitry ducked into the room. "Councilors," he said, bowing with that constant smirk. "I have good news to bring you," continued the spymaster, pausing for about half a minute to build up suspense. "The Achaeans have taken down and burned the flag over their capital. They raised the Athenian flag this morning, and we now control the province," he finally finished, with a flourish of his hands.

EU3_264.jpg

Michael smiled, thinking about what he had just heard. At least Athens was expanding, albeit in an underhanded way. Dmitry waited a few minutes, and when he finally spoke again, Manuel almost jumped out of his chair. His nerves had been shredded by years of war. "I have taken the liberty of causing some rebels to rise in Naxos. Of course, I got retroactive authority from the king, so do not worry about it," Dmitry wore a smile. He knew Michael would worry about it. The king acting without the help of the council would be a nightmare to him. "They have already defeated the armies there and are in the process of taking the islands. Several have already been taken by our supporters, but Naxos itself remains independent.

EU3_265.jpg

Michael got up, smiled, then swung the table over. He then walked out of the room, punching the wall on the way. Manuel sat up in his now table-less chair, stunned. Figuring he should also make a dramatic exit, he took his knife from the floor, sheathed it, and walked out coolly. Dmitry had information they didn't though, and smiled even further. The only independent island was Naxos, and it was quickly falling. In a few hours time, Naxos would be Athenian.

His prediction came true. By the end of the day, the citizens of Naxos had replaced their flag with an Athenian one. He went off to tell Antonio, he would certainly be pleased. Perhaps Antonio II would like to know, after he finished hallucinating for the day. Surely even someone as stupid as him would like to find out that his inheritance was growing. Maybe. One never knew with that man.

EU3_266.jpg

OOC: Sorry this update was shorter than normal, I was working with the pictures I had already uploaded to photobucket (I'm currently away from the computer I play the game on)