• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's a very nice, manageable Brunswick, if not for that British red in the west.

Impressive as always. I am enjoying the slower pace. Its easier to feel some connection for the country and the area it operates in than a huge, dispassionate, far-flung empire.

Well, Bohemia has proven to be a hollow threat - this time the war was just a few sentences long.

I'm itching to see you join up your Dutch and Baltic enclaves with Brunswick proper.

I should never have mentioned the gravel - it was a year and a half ago :)

Nice progress BTW

Brunswick is of an impressive size, especially considering the restraint their kings have labored under.
Rather because of that restraint; low Infamy adds a positive modifier to Boundary Dispute events, as does HRE membership when there are a large number of member states. Brunswick is set up pretty well for his AAR's house rules, which I'm sure was deliberate so we didn't end up with a country that sits there doing nothing for decades at a time.

I can't help but think that for the British Low Countries, might it have been faster to force-release, vassalise, and then diplo-annex?

I am thinking about that you only take one province at the time with the imperial ban.
Don´t remember the patch you are playing with but at least for me, with latest patch, I can take how many provinces i like at the time and get a core at them, but I only get one mesage (took 3 from the teutonics, got one message but three cores). It works with cores but not with getting imperial status when relasing vassals in a war-deal. There I have only got 10 points at the time, no matter how many vassals I have realised.

Just wanted to give a note couse I think you sad something about just taking one province at the time becouse you didn´t got cores..

Go empire!
Nice to see the nibbling continues to built a greater Brunswick

Nibbling is a very good way to put it. :)

That's a very nice, manageable Brunswick, if not for that British red in the west.

The borders are relatively tidy, aren't they?

Yeah, the British are somewhat annoying thanks to their navy keeping me out of their homeland. Now with Press Gangs, I can start taking steps in the right direction in that matter.

Impressive as always. I am enjoying the slower pace. Its easier to feel some connection for the country and the area it operates in than a huge, dispassionate, far-flung empire.

Thanks. :) I actually agree, I never get a message about a province and wonder "where the heck is that?" in this game. :D Compared to RL history, we're used to pretty ridiculous things especially in gameplay AARs...

Well, Bohemia has proven to be a hollow threat - this time the war was just a few sentences long.

I'm itching to see you join up your Dutch and Baltic enclaves with Brunswick proper.

The Dutch area is only sort of an enclave - a strait connects Friesland and Holland. But connection there is only a matter of time now that taking HRE provinces from GB is enough for it. Unfortunately, it seems a bit more distant for the Baltic...

The Bohemians are actually doing the sensible thing: giving me what I want before I destroy them further. Many formidable AI empires would have fared much better if they just did that. ;)

Brunswick is of an impressive size, especially considering the restraint their kings have labored under.

True, it surprises me a bit. I'm bigger than I expected at this point, especially since my royal marriages haven't produced anything.

I should never have mentioned the gravel - it was a year and a half ago :)

Nice progress BTW

Thanks! Heh, you can't escape the past. :p

Rather because of that restraint; low Infamy adds a positive modifier to Boundary Dispute events, as does HRE membership when there are a large number of member states. Brunswick is set up pretty well for his AAR's house rules, which I'm sure was deliberate so we didn't end up with a country that sits there doing nothing for decades at a time.

It's true that the position (in HRE, not surrounded by majors) is deliberate since the rules essentially forced a slow start, but I can't really agree with "because of that restraint". Sitting around waiting for boundary disputes is probably a better strategy than it's given credit for inside the HRE, especially if it's combined with the traditional forced PU spamming, but it's a foregone conclusion that Brunswick's smaller than it would be without any house rules. :)

I can't help but think that for the British Low Countries, might it have been faster to force-release, vassalise, and then diplo-annex?

As the released nations would be HRE members I wouldn't have any way to get a core on them (other than hoping for a boundary dispute of course). So diplo-annexing would be against the rules.

I am thinking about that you only take one province at the time with the imperial ban.
Don´t remember the patch you are playing with but at least for me, with latest patch, I can take how many provinces i like at the time and get a core at them, but I only get one mesage (took 3 from the teutonics, got one message but three cores). It works with cores but not with getting imperial status when relasing vassals in a war-deal. There I have only got 10 points at the time, no matter how many vassals I have realised.

Just wanted to give a note couse I think you sad something about just taking one province at the time becouse you didn´t got cores..

Yeah, it was fixed for DW 5.1 I believe (or one of the betas leading to it to be exact). Only fires for one province in HTTT unfortunately...

As the released nations would be HRE members I wouldn't have any way to get a core on them (other than hoping for a boundary dispute of course). So diplo-annexing would be against the rules.

Ah of course, I forgot. Need the cores first.

Here's to a Brunswicker Germany! You could try and form the HRE, but the uncored provinces might be a problem. However, couldn't you release or sell off the non-core provinces you get from the decision. Also, I hear you plan to go Republic. More power to you for that, I tend to find little use for them myself. Good leaders have a tendency to die after one or two terms and you can't have royal marriages, which is one of the best methods for expansion.

Really? I had a DIP 9 MIL 8 ADM 7 ruler for over 60 years when I played as The Hansa. Turns out Merchant Republics are quite powerful, managed to form Germany too.

Good to see you're very close to forming Germany, Malurous! You actually inspired me to the above mentioned game with this AAR! Its fantastic!

Really? I had a DIP 9 MIL 8 ADM 7 ruler for over 60 years when I played as The Hansa. Turns out Merchant Republics are quite powerful, managed to form Germany too.

Good to see you're very close to forming Germany, Malurous! You actually inspired me to the above mentioned game with this AAR! Its fantastic!

I have admittedly not played them that often, but I have only once had a really good leader live through his second term. I was playing as Venice and my leader Luigi Malspina, who was quite a good ruler and also my best general, lived for quite a long time and helped me gain quite a lot of territory before finally kicking the bucket. However, most others for me never make it that long.

I guess I have just been lucky then. I've always been going for DIP 9 rulers and once one got elected they usually stick around for atleast 30 years. (It amazes me that picking a DIP ruler sometimes turns out to have higher MIL or ADM than DIP)

All your territory was cored up to the Danish integration. You could consider ceding the province that isn't cored in one of your wars against Sweden.

I doubt the ai did quite as well as Prawnstar in coping with all those rebels. You're almost at the point where no possible coalition of powers can trouble you. That's a significant achievement

Ah of course, I forgot. Need the cores first.

Yep. :)

Here's to a Brunswicker Germany! You could try and form the HRE, but the uncored provinces might be a problem. However, couldn't you release or sell off the non-core provinces you get from the decision. Also, I hear you plan to go Republic. More power to you for that, I tend to find little use for them myself. Good leaders have a tendency to die after one or two terms and you can't have royal marriages, which is one of the best methods for expansion.

I think you've just been unlucky. Republic does give much more control over rulers. It's true that I lose royal marriages, but I'm not forcing anything with them anyway and I haven't gotten lucky with them at all.

I don't think selling provinces is a possible solution for non-cores in such a major case, I wouldn't have enough diplomats to get rid of all before unpausing...

Thanks a lot! :) Oh dear, I wish I could have had a ruler like that! :eek: Unfortunately in this game, I only get a DIP 9 ruler when
it's already impossible to keep the HRE large enough, so I never have that insane DIP 9 + inside HRE combination for rapid fire boundary disputes. Of course, such a ruler offsets the missing HRE modifier.

I have admittedly not played them that often, but I have only once had a really good leader live through his second term. I was playing as Venice and my leader Luigi Malspina, who was quite a good ruler and also my best general, lived for quite a long time and helped me gain quite a lot of territory before finally kicking the bucket. However, most others for me never make it that long.

I think the part I bolded explains a lot. If you get a ruler you want to keep alive, turning him into a general really isn't a good idea. Even if they don't fight at all they die earlier.

I find that most rulers live for several terms when they aren't used as a general, only the bad ones are switched out in the election.

I guess I have just been lucky then. I've always been going for DIP 9 rulers and once one got elected they usually stick around for atleast 30 years. (It amazes me that picking a DIP ruler sometimes turns out to have higher MIL or ADM than DIP)

Yeah, I don't think the candidate choice does anything other than using a 5 to 9 scale instead of 3 to 9 for one value. So it's entirely possible that what you choose ends up being the lowest value. :p

You might have been a bit lucky if you've been consistently going for DIP 9's. I find a target of 8 pretty sustainable, but feel like I'm losing in the long run if I drop 8's in favor of trying for a jackpot. 9 is just too rare for that in my experience.

Press Gangs? That isn't very gentlemanly!

On the surface no, but I think Fronzel has a solid explanation:

Maybe they ask politely.

That's exactly what I had in mind! :happy:

All your territory was cored up to the Danish integration. You could consider ceding the province that isn't cored in one of your wars against Sweden.

Eh? :huh: There has been no "Danish integration", and every single one of my provinces is obviously a core.

If you're referring to the diploannexation of Holstein, I got a boundary dispute there in 1542, as has been documented in this thread.

I doubt the ai did quite as well as Prawnstar in coping with all those rebels.

Heh, naturally not. :) But by AI standards they have a pretty insane game, never seeming to be overrun despite some pretty large scale TSC's.

You're almost at the point where no possible coalition of powers can trouble you. That's a significant achievement

Thanks. :) The manpower problems were a limiting factor for a while, but now with the NI and regimental camps we're definitely getting there.

Last edited:
I was assuming Schleswig and Holstein got annexed, (hey, I think of them as Danish), but remembering the map it was only Holstein that got the pink treatment and was the only province annexed. Have you got any unclaimed Brunswick cores, at this point?